Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 08:07 AM   #15

I am very sorry for your loss. We lost our loved coach to a fire when it was totally packed and ready for a long trip. Luckily no one was in it at the time, nor were any of our pets. Watching the video of your loss was heart wrenching.

I can second your recommendation about checking insurance coverage. It took me over 18 months to finally close the insurance file on our loss. The settlement on the coach went fast, but the contents took time. We had replacement coverage, so it was a multiple step process. I can say State Farm was wonderful to work with.

My wife and I made separate list of everything we could remember in each room and each compartment right down to pencils, pens, pet food and treats. Then we compiled one "master list". From that list State Farm sent us a check for the depreciated cost of the contents. Now the fun began. We started to buy replacements for everything, keeping up with every receipt, and linking each purchase with the item lost. State Farm then sent us the difference between depreciation and actual cost including shipping and taxes. It took a complex (at least to me) spreadsheet to track everything! Every once in a while during this 18 month process Sharon would remember something we forgot to add to the master list and SF added it without question.

So I endorse your comment about knowing your insurance policy in's and outs. Also take pictures of each and every room in the RV and the sticks and bricks house and store them either in the cloud or with your insurance agent. They are critical in trying to remember what you had. Even today we occasionally say "did you remember to put this or that on the list?"

Once again let me say I'm sorry for your loss. I do know how hard it is. As others have said, loosing pets in that manor would give all of us nightmares. Every time we are in our coach we think about the fire and what we can do about getting our pets to safety.

I hope you find that perfect replacement for the RV weather it be another RV or a permanent stick and brick house. Good luck and God bless.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Brenna,
When I was 30 years old I was living in the back of my car out of work. Managed to go from that to getting a good job buying a 25 acre horse farm. When I was 57 I went into a diabetic comma while ridding my Harley. Spent two week in ICU and a list a mile long of all the things I broke. I ended up selling my home to pay the medical bills and helping pay for the two years I was in rehab. I am now disabled and live in pain everyday. I can not do the things I use to but have found other things that I can.

You have had a bad experience and each day will get better. Try to look for the good that life has to offer. Your loss has made me think twice about my furry friend who travels with us. I have decided to install an ARP control monitor for my Norcold refer for a little more safety after reading of your loss.

Wishing you well on your new adventure.
Very wise decision! The ARP should be standard equipment on any RV with an absorption type fridge!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Sorry that you had a bad first experience. This forum has mostly considerate members. Sometimes what you mean to say doesn't come through in typing it out. I'd like to think that is what happened.

X2!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenna View Post
I was very disappointed when I felt so personally attack. I couldn't believe how many felt they almost needed to questions my motives. I was very happy with the other responses I got that actually did help me in some ways. I was able to turn it around on how I felt and what I would do with the negative comments. I hope to decide soon on if we will return to full time RV or go back to a stick home. But if we stay full time RV I really think I will enjoy the site.

Brenna, just a suggestion on the negative comments. FIDO them! (forget it and drive on)

Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #19

Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Brenna,
When I was 30 years old I was living in the back of my car out of work. Managed to go from that to getting a good job buying a 25 acre horse farm. When I was 57 I went into a diabetic comma while ridding my Harley. Spent two week in ICU and a list a mile long of all the things I broke. I ended up selling my home to pay the medical bills and helping pay for the two years I was in rehab. I am now disabled and live in pain everyday. I can not do the things I use to but have found other things that I can.

You have had a bad experience and each day will get better. Try to look for the good that life has to offer. Your loss has made me think twice about my furry friend who travels with us. I have decided to install an ARP control monitor for my Norcold refer for a little more safety after reading of your loss.

Wishing you well on your new adventure.
Thank you so much, thinking of you fury friend is so very important, I cry everyday I miss her so very much, I didn't have time to think, I had to get out, but I did everything that I could trying to find her till I passed out, and you don't realize that you are going to pass out, well I had smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning, I think everyone should have certain things ready, your purse, your phone, think ahead what do I want to grab if I can.... And never ever ever trust a fire box.... I wish I knew how to post a pic of what is left of the RV, a shell of the chassis, melted even some off the tire rims right into the road... BUT KNOW WHERE YOU FURRY FRIEND IS, our dog made it out but my kitty died....
Old 03-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #20

Your right!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Brenna, just a suggestion on the negative comments. FIDO them! (forget it and drive on)
At first I took everything to heart.... I wasn't prepared for that type of response from anybody. And then I left their words play over again and again in my head. And then I kept thinking as I did and often still do and have since the fire happened, well I should of done this and I should have done that and why didn't I get to my furbaby especially in time? I think what made it harder we were only in the RV such a short time that we were unfamiliar with things, the fire was starting on our 31st day of owning it. I have tried to somehow think of how I could turn all the negative back into something positive. One of these days I want to do a thread on how to check your insurance. Ask others to add to it, let everyone help everyone the best we can help.... No I won't have everything wrote down that people need, but at least maybe it can help someone change their insurance for the better and make sure they're covered as good as they can be! BECAUSE like one of the things that was very important, replacement cost especially is so very important, the fact that some of the things that were older than like three or four years old they didn't even consider them because of the cost of depreciation on them... our biggest problem was we were very very underinsured!!! We are both older and disabled, so starting over is a huge challenge. In fact we lived in the RV full time because of my boyfriend illness, HE has a very rare disease and his doctors are at Cleveland Clinic and Boston Massachusetts, cost of hotels was draining us..... So many people don't know the story and I tried to not make it that I was looking for sympathy.... Sympathy is nice and I will say it has helped me so much in the last day even with this Hello thread.... PEOPLE ARE SO WONDERFUL ON HERE.....

I thank you for all your kind words, you've said and been a part of during this whole thread! So yes fooey on the haters.... Thank you again, you are one of the best reasons this site is so worth being apart of!!!
Old 03-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #21

You can help a lot of people on here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I am very sorry for your loss. We lost our loved coach to a fire when it was totally packed and ready for a long trip. Luckily no one was in it at the time, nor were any of our pets. Watching the video of your loss was heart wrenching.

I can second your recommendation about checking insurance coverage. It took me over 18 months to finally close the insurance file on our loss. The settlement on the coach went fast, but the contents took time. We had replacement coverage, so it was a multiple step process. I can say State Farm was wonderful to work with.

My wife and I made separate list of everything we could remember in each room and each compartment right down to pencils, pens, pet food and treats. Then we compiled one "master list". From that list State Farm sent us a check for the depreciated cost of the contents. Now the fun began. We started to buy replacements for everything, keeping up with every receipt, and linking each purchase with the item lost. State Farm then sent us the difference between depreciation and actual cost including shipping and taxes. It took a complex (at least to me) spreadsheet to track everything! Every once in a while during this 18 month process Sharon would remember something we forgot to add to the master list and SF added it without question.

So I endorse your comment about knowing your insurance policy in's and outs. Also take pictures of each and every room in the RV and the sticks and bricks house and store them either in the cloud or with your insurance agent. They are critical in trying to remember what you had. Even today we occasionally say "did you remember to put this or that on the list?"

Once again let me say I'm sorry for your loss. I do know how hard it is. As others have said, loosing pets in that manor would give all of us nightmares. Every time we are in our coach we think about the fire and what we can do about getting our pets to safety.

I hope you find that perfect replacement for the RV weather it be another RV or a permanent stick and brick house. Good luck and God bless.
I am so very very sorry to hear that you too suffered a fire, they are devastating and something you never forget!!!! You always hear that everything is replaceable, just thankful you are alive..... Yes this statement is so true, but NO everything isn't replaceable and you miss things.... My furbaby is #1 that I miss, but 2nd is a little ring that I bet cost my granddaughter $1 maybe $2 at a Santa workshop years ago and then my pictures and videos that were backed up but all the backups were in the fire!!! THANKFULLY I did have some backed up on line through cloud and other places and I have my Facebook, but with digital photography it is amazing the amount of pictures you can a mass over the years. I had close to 12,000 pictures at least, 50+ years worth/not all digital. I think I probably only have maybe 2,000 of them left, only the digital that were online. Some of my videos were over 30 years old... I am a picture person, most evenings right before bed was picture time for me!!

When you try to start to remember everything that you own for the replacement costs the insurance company needs you to write down everything and the cost to you even your little container of paper clips and box of band aids. But we were way underinsured so it wasn't hard for them to cut a check on the replacement. The biggest thing is making sure you have replacement value insurance verses just contents insurance as far as the contents you own.

I think people should Google their RV and read up as much as they can on problems that other people have had with the exact same type of RV. You would be amazed at how many people have put things on the internet that can make you very aware of a problem and how to check something in your RV that may need fixed or checked out at least. Run your VIN number to see what recalls may be up on your RV. Make sure that your company maker has you listed so that if there is a recall that the paperwork can come right to you.

It has been 6 months and this is the first time I've written anything on the RV fire on the internet. I used to have nightmares every night now luckily I'm down to maybe three or four a week. People don't realize how stressful and traumatic it is until you go through a fire. There are times I can just blink my eyes and there it is even during the day, boom it hits me like it just happened yesterday. There definitely isn't a day that doesn't go by that I don't cry for my furbaby, I miss her so very very much! After all the negative comments on the other thread that I had asked for help on maybe somebody recommending a lawyer that was considered a lawyer for RV problems, I had a very rough couple days. I felt so stupid, ashamed and embarrassed that I even needed to think about needing a lawyer. I cannot really express how extremely hurtful singer off the comments were, but I am thankfully getting past that. I cannot explain my reason exactly, but there is a really good reason.
I am glad now that I am still part of the community and I hope that the comments here and maybe I can make further comments in the future that could really help somebody make a difference in their insurance coverage to protect their valuables so nobody ends up in the situation that we actually am in now.
One of the biggest mistakes that was made was the insurance policy had went to my mailing address and we were on the road so we had not even had a chance to look at the insurance policy, we had not even made the first payment. I think if we had looked at the insurance policy a lot of things would have been different. I wish I could go into detail why I've asked for a recommendation on a lawyer in my previous thread, but I cannot I feel sure by now that the company probably is even following this thread. I took a big chance and I reached out to the company that we bought the RV off of and I've asked them for help before we get into hiring any type of lawyer. I heard back from them but I don't know where it's going to end up. But I do know I do need the extra help on getting back up on my feet and I hope they willingly will help us. But we are okay in the long run, I do still struggle with some medical problems, I do struggle with PTSD, which I don't think I'll ever understand.

Thank you for putting down what you have that is helped me greatly and it is nice to talk to somebody else that unfortunately has been through the same thing. Because I sit here six months later and think wow, just wow. We did a list also but we forgot this and we forgot that, so still adding things. Absolutely everything that you paid for and like I said before down to even the container of paper clips. All that is what you got to be able to account for and it is not an easy job to do. You are right in about the amount of time and how hard it is to keep everything straight, I think when it comes time to move into either a RV or a home, I will tape record or write down everything as we take it in to which ever we end up with.
My main goal now is to help people realize how very important it is to have the right coverage on everything and on the last thing you expect to EVER happen, like your RV IN fire, first your tow vehicle goes rolling backwards on fire and than your RV is doing the same. The police that were at the fire with my boyfriend tried to help by keeping him on the side of a building so he wasn't standing there just watching the RV burn. He said he had looked around at the fire, stepped back and was, talking again with people around him and than stepped to look again at the fire and it was gone. It has rolled away when he wasn't watching. He is a wonderful guy and like me wouldn't ever want to hurt anyone EVER! One of the guys car that the RV hit verbally attack me a week later and I felt so so awful but we have nothing left. The worst of things are we had our life savings in cash in a fire box that melted right away... And that is not the reason for the lawyer either, nor do we blame the fire box safe box company. Yes I do believe in banks, there was a reason, but just because we had it on us didn't mean we deserved to have it burn up..... That is one thing most people don't understand and I have a reason but I cannot post it, but that is still not a reason for people to attack me or put us down.
Well I thank you again, I hope people read your response and really think about both fires and will check their own insurance policies..... Bless you for taking time out of your day for us all!!
PS forgive any grammar or spelling mistakes, especially today, haven't had any sleep so it makes it worse.... Lol.

Tags
fire