Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Hello from ABQ

Hi, I just joined tonight as my family & I are looking at buying our 1st Class A. We have been given some advice that a Foretravel would be a good unit to get as older untis are less expensive, etc. We were told about 2 different Foretravels ont he PPL lot in Houston. Have any of you seen these units on-line and if so, do you have any comments about them? I have read a few posts on this site about the older units and some of the problems with them and they have made me hesitate on looking further at these 2 units in Houston. I was also told the 1993 Beaver would be a good one to look at in addition to the 2 Foretravels. Thanks for the thoughts.

It appeared to me the engine problems I read about in the other posts are with the Detroit Diesel and not the Cat engine that is in both of the PPL units for sale. is this a true generalization? Also, I guess the chassis is not an issue as these are proably Spartan chassis' and Spartan is good about parts if needed.

1983 Foretravel for Sale - D788

1993 Foretravel Grandvilla M3600-022C for Sale - D730

1993 Beaver Patriot LEXINGTON for Sale - D787

asolarrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by asolarrv View Post
Hi, I just joined tonight as my family & I are looking at buying our 1st Class A...
I'm up the street a bit, near Ft. Worth; wifey and I got our first RV in December.

It's amazing, how cheaply a buyer can get into older units. What a great opportunity for those wishing to test the whole idea, see if they like doing this.

The DOT code on the tires is something to consider (0508, for example is the 5th week of 2008), since conventional wisdom says rotate front tires aft before five years, and discard even the best rear tires at 10 years.

Other rubber must've been replaced, too: hoses, belts, etc. If steady maintenance has been performed and it is watertight, you can cope with virtually anything else.

BTW, we're tickled with our coach and having the time of our lives!

RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome asolarrv,
Don't limit your looking to one place. There are other places a good pre-owned coach can be found at a reasonable price. Don't sell the Detroit Diesel short. They have been in many high end coaches and buses for years.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check these folks for Foretravels. He started the RV business by working for Foretravel.
Pre-owned RV sales, Service ,Parts & Consignments Motorhomes of Texas

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Thanks for the input. We are continuing to look and will know more after this weekend what we our deicison will be.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
The ABQ craigslist is full of RV's for sale. Are you keeping that checked? Why are you going out of state? ABQ has several RV dealers... at least it seems like it. Just curious.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
Uhhh....I am checking the ABQ Craigslist. I am on it every day. I just do not go out and buy the 1st things I see. And, if you can get folks to respond to your inquiries you are doing good. There are a couple RV ads I have made 2 emails respones to each without responses. There is also an RV sitting on a local used car lot and it took me 3 phone calls over 9 days to finally get hold of the seller, only to find out it had water leaks & wall damage, and he is in the process of repairing it himself and asking $'s above NADA. ABQ is a small market and selections on the dealer lots are very limited, and then you have issues like that above. I am also looking on the mom & pop dealer lots and other places like that. And, just like folks should do when it comes to unemployment and looking for jobs, I do not limit myself to just where I live. I am looking on Craigslist for Las Vegas, Santa Fe, Phoenix, Tempe, Yuma, Flagstaff, Colorado Springs, Denver, etc...places I can get to quickly and easily.

Is that all you do is look in one are, the place you live in? If so, you may be severely limiting your options. But, thanks for the input.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #8
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You left out Kansas City. Easy in easy out and many local Class A for sale
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
Thanks. I will check them out. I am reading about the Trek Class A's and we are intrigued about them. I hope to see one on person soon.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #10
We just signed up today also. We live up the hill from you in Rio Rancho.

John & Marianne + our camp cat . . . . T-BONE
2008 Laredo 320TRL + 2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
JMG1050 is offline   Reply With Quote