Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Hello from Colorado

I have gone tent camping for more years than I will ever admit. About 10 years ago I bought an 8’ truck camper and really enjoyed it. Not only did I take it camping off the beaten path it was nice to take on xc-ski trips. I am in the process of putting my house up for sale and unfortunately I ended up trading my truck and camper to a friend in exchange for a kitchen remodel.

I currently live in Fort Collins, CO and plan on moving to Grand Junction, CO. Once over on the western slope I plan on buying another camper. My first choice would be a bigger and better truck camper but a few years ago a friend bought me a cute little puppy for my birthday. Now my little puppy weighs about 75 lbs so I am figuring that a truck camper would not be a good idea.

I have been lurking on the forum for a few weeks reading about the advantages and disadvantages of motorhomes vs trailers.

Since I cannot get a truck camper my second choice is a medium sized class C. I am not concerned about storage or living space (other than room enough for the dog) because I was quite happy with my 8’ truck camper. My main concern is taking a class C off the beaten path and if I will be able to take it on my xc-skiing trips.
coloradomtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

Off the beaten path

We take our Class A off the beaten path but probably not as far off as you took your truck camper.

Our blog shows some of the places we've gone in our A. We picked one with higher ground clearance and then put all season tires on so we'd be less likely to get stuck in the mud on the forest service roads.

Welcome to the forum.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Don't count a TC out completely, some have slides giving plenty of room for 2 people and a dog. Dylan (see avatar) and I have spent many long weekends and even longer in our 845 (no slide but he's only 35#) on various Jeepin trips. If most of what you go camping for is outside then the camper is just to eat, shower, sleep etc you may not need anything bigger. The wife and I even spent a night or two with 3 of our mutts in the TC, now that got a bit crowded and eventually lead to the 37' A, which has been off pn some dirt roads just not too far and not too rough.

I've also seen several smaller trailers out in the boonies pretty far, won't work for me as I'm always towing one of the Jeeps but if you're not towing ATVs/Jeeps etc there are some very off road capable TTs.

Whichever you choose, welcome to the Western Slope, there's a lot to see out here and over in Utah/AZ/NM and plenty of boondocking.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the warm welcome and the comments.

@Dave, you bring up some good points about the truck camper with slides,though I haven’t priced out many, I am thinking by the time I buy a truck camper with a slide and a suitable truck I could buy a nice class C or even a small class A . I would just not be able to wander so far off the beaten path. My main concern is how they would handle in the snow as the Grand Mesa is a great place for xc-skiing.

@micd, you have been to some great places in your camper, and now you have me thinking about a small class A.

Either this year or next I would really like to head over to the Great Sand Dunes.
coloradomtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club

Welcome! I grew up in Grand Junction - great spot, and both my wife and I love it. Currently live in Pagosa Springs in SW CO.

Best of luck in your decision as to the type of RV you'll end up with. Lots of great people here will give you lots of good advice....
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradomtns View Post
@Dave, you bring up some good points about the truck camper with slides,though I haven’t priced out many, I am thinking by the time I buy a truck camper with a slide and a suitable truck I could buy a nice class C or even a small class A . I would just not be able to wander so far off the beaten path. My main concern is how they would handle in the snow as the Grand Mesa is a great place for xc-skiing.
Yea, the cost per sq/ft in a TC is about the highest of any of the various types of RVs but you can't beat the off road capability. Having to buy a truck to carry it makes it an even more expensive proposition. Our old 37 footer cost quite a bit less than my friend's new '11 Dodge truck he bought to carry his camper.

We love our coach but the thing I like best about the TC is somewhen in November the coach goes into covered storage and it doesn't come out 'till it's time for Jeep Safari in either March or April. The TC's ready to go anytime, I don't even have to de-winterize it to use it, just dump a couple of gallons of antifreeze into the tanks and carry jugs of water.

Do your research (you found a great resource!) and buy once whatever you buy you'll have a blast over here.
Dave
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Don't count a TC out completely,.....
I agree and of course you can build one if you want like I did. Here is the build thread to my 29 foot TC. (which reminds me I need to update)http://www.irv2.com/forums/f18/my-ne...ics-83776.html

I currently have about $7K ivested in mine.
paid $2500 for the chassis cab truck
paid $2000 for new tires
paid $1500 for the box (it scrap value )
The rest is in the contents.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi, welcome to IRV2. Hope you can get something soon so you and the pooch can get on the road. Safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote