RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #1

Hello from Gettysburg Pa

I never thought I would sign up on a RV forum! I owned a 14 ft trailer until it fell apart. Literally. Just 3 weeks ago, I got myself a big upgrade from trailer to a motorhome. I say it's pretty darn good deal! The asking price was 4,000 dollars but I was able to get her for 500 dollars. This old beast is 1985 Fleetwood Southwind Y27.

I was able to take her home within 2 days after bought under her own power. I noticed halfway on the journey, lights on dash became dimmer and dimmer. Steering was cocked to the right. Steering alignment is needed. Brakes... Holy cow, I had to downshift her a few times even though I was driving like a granny! All that was easy to do...

The driveway, man, the darn driveway. I pulled her into my driveway and proceeded to drive it very steep quarter mile up on gravel.... Well it darn near threw me off the seat! It was weird. Lost power up hill twice but it didn't stall. I immediately put her in park give a few second and give it a try again. It took me 10 minutes rather than 2 minutes just to drive up. Finally I got her up to the top and turned her around then I gave myself a big sigh of relief.

I got out and checked around motor. I found the belt to the alternator hanging off the frame. I'm surprised she made it all the way from 40 minute drive. So I have the replacements on hand. One belt is wrong size when I realized there isn't a AC pump... Go figure... so it'll be tomorrow to trade a different belt.

I gave my MH a wash... Three days of scrubbing by hand. That was fun doing but at least it'll be a little easier next time I wash her down. Gave the roof caulking around seams. I noticed there are soft spot (bad sign?). Before I took her home, there wasn't any damages inside until I hit my driveway... Hell of a shakedown. Wall had opened up in the bedroom. Looked like it had a bit of water damages.
I'll have to look under the rubber roof and see what needs to be done. Thankfully I am a carpenter and woodcrafter so not an issue. For now, I sealed her up and keep watching for any other signs of it.
I'm still learning everything about her. I'm still reading manuals and on websites all about this beast. If there are suggestions and tips you like to pass on, please do! I'll pass on to others who just got one as well!

DeafManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 02:30 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club

Good Luck with your Gettysburg restoration. We've spent an enormous amount of time camping there.

ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome and good luck. You have quite the project ahead of you.

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I wish you all the best in getting it repaired. Then you can start enjoying it.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I bet you'll have the old girl in tip-top shape in no time at all. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post

Good Luck with your Gettysburg restoration. We've spent an enormous amount of time camping there.
Very cool to meet someone who has been in Gettysburg! I bet you explore a lot of the areas and learn something new each time you're​ around!
Old 04-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #7

Finally got a name for my motorhome. My grandfather was a chief of the boat on USS Queenfish. It reminded me of his man cave. He had everything in Navy style. I hung his pictures of ships next to fridge. So the name for her is Queenfish.