Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Hello From Gulf Breeze Florida

Hello
I'm a relatively new to the RV lifestyle. Came here to get advice on my 98 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. I just posted in the Cummings diesel section.

I have lived in my RV for 3 months at a time and am working towards a fulltime life style. In my previous life I was a electronics design engineer for a major shipping company. We designed embedded microprocessor systems for realtime tracking of packages. Needless to say, I have extensive knowledge of electronics and love tinkering with and improving on existing systems. I like home automation and remote monitoring projects that I would love to apply to the motorhome. For one thing I would like to be able to keep tabs on interior temps remotely from my iphone to ensure my cats well being. I am a hardcore do it yourself type person.

Im very laid back and like hanging around with people that are usually older than myself. I seem to have more in common with them than people my own age. I like to travel and I'm not materialistic. Kinda shy at first, but once I know you, you may not be able to shut me up as I talk about RV's and where next to travel to in my RV. So for now that is it. Would love to talk to people who are full timers so that I can pick their brains and save myself some of the mistakes I am bound to make as I take this trip into full timing.

Best Regards
William
westek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard

Welcome aboard William.

If you can get that interior temp monitor thing figured out you could find there is a big market among RVers! A lot of us travel with pets. Keep us up to date on your efforts.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post

Welcome aboard William.

If you can get that interior temp monitor thing figured out you could find there is a big market among RVers! A lot of us travel with pets. Keep us up to date on your efforts.
Hello and Thank You!
As for the remote temp monitoring device, the hardest part is what internet connection will the end user have. More than likely you will have wireless from the rv park or some form of cellular network internet access, ie MIFI or USB device plugged into the computer. Once you have this, the rest is pretty easy. I designed a small circuit card (3x3 inch) that will take the temp and present an end user with a simple webpage that shows the temp to a browser enabled cell phone or iphone. I could probably expand that to send an email if preset limits (too hot, too cold) are exceeded. I should also move this discussion to another section of the forum too... but otherwise what do you think? Comments, suggestions? Any input is welcome!

William
westek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Can't help with the tech end, but I can promise if it were simple to set up and use, and reasonably priced, I know you'd have a market. The automatic email feature, I think, would multiply its function and desireability 10 fold (I've got to get a smart phone, one of these days).

A very common thread, seen on all the RV related forums I frequent, is concern for pets left in the rig while the owners are out and "...what happens if the power goes off?"
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi from across the Bob Sikes Bridge.

And I'll be watching to see if you get that remote thing perfected. We've just started RVing and take our 4 cats.

Fran
Floridafran is offline   Reply With Quote