Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Hello from Kansas

Hi, I'm a newbie to the RV world. In fact I'm still trying to make a decision on which way to go MH or TT. I've been reading the posts here for a few days but don't seem to be getting closer to a decision. I thought I had decided on a TT, but a MH has a lot of attraction too. I work out of state and am gone about 3 nights a week. Whichever way I go I will live in the RV while at work and leave it parked near my job most of the time. My wife and I will also use it for long weekend trips and 1 to 2 week vacations in the Rocky Mountains and maybe an occasional longer trip to the east or west coast.

I would appreciate any advice about making the decision between MH and TT. I'm looking forward to being part of the forum and the RV community.

Randy
__________________

__________________
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Member
 
BartLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 33
Hello and welcome to the forum I have a fifth wheel and love it. Had a TT and it was ok. The thing that made me go to a fiver was the shower and head room as I am 6'4". So depending on your size and the size of you tow vehicle a fiver may be a idea. As for as the MH never had one or desired one. But I like you work out of town and if you go with the MH you have to think about towing a vehicle with it. Just some ideas and my two cents. Hope you come to your decision soon and begin to enjoy it. Happy camping.
__________________

__________________
BartLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Bart, thanks for the reply. I thought about a 5th wheel but I have a newer half ton Silverado. From what I've read here it may not be enough for a fiver. It looks to me like you get more bang for the buck with a fiver than a TT though.
__________________
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Steve N Sal's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,614
Howdy and welcome aboard. Hope you have fun on the site and find the answers to your questions. Finding the correct rig for you is kind a personal choice. Everyone has their own opinions. For us the moho works but for someone else well the TT makes a better life for them. Good luck in your choice and hope you have a great time traveling.
__________________
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Michigan (Winter For Now)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
Hi, I'm a newbie to the RV world. In fact I'm still trying to make a decision on which way to go MH or TT. I've been reading the posts here for a few days but don't seem to be getting closer to a decision. I thought I had decided on a TT, but a MH has a lot of attraction too. I work out of state and am gone about 3 nights a week. Whichever way I go I will live in the RV while at work and leave it parked near my job most of the time. My wife and I will also use it for long weekend trips and 1 to 2 week vacations in the Rocky Mountains and maybe an occasional longer trip to the east or west coast.

I would appreciate any advice about making the decision between MH and TT. I'm looking forward to being part of the forum and the RV community.

Randy
Hi Randy, Good question. different answer from every one that is satisfied with what they have.

Since you already have a late model 1/2 ton pickup, and probably not ready to up date. You might consider a nice used pull type TT that would be weight compatible with your pickup weight limitations. Could find a nice trailer for $8,000 to $12,000. My daughter and son in law recently traded 26 ft Terry 5th wheel for a new 2013 Rockwood windjamer. They have a light duty 3/4 ton 4 door Cheve, 350 engine. He says the new trailer pulls much easier and rides much better with the TT and a good antisway hitch. The Terry was NOT tall like some 5th wheel, but I have drove it, was not impressed.. . Aparently you are a younger man with kids at home. This might be an economical starter, especially since you already have a late model pickup.

I have a 36 ft diesel pusher motor home and love it. Next story, with a tow vechicle I have 2 drive trains to maintain and insure. Tow bar, mounting plates and labor, over $1200. Hard to buy a nice used motorhome for the price of a TT. Already haveing a pickup would make me think about the used economical TT with a good antisway hitch. Good wishes from an old retired cross country trucker..... old trucker
__________________
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
SarahW's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a lawnchair
Posts: 11,204
Howdy and welcome! Good luck with finding the right RV!
__________________
.2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
4Knights's Avatar
 
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,796
Howdy to you, we also live right here in Kansas- west side of Fort Riley.

We have a MH but to each their own. My question for your decision is how much time do you have to travel from home to your out of state job? A MH is fantastic all around but speed is not in that equation! You could pull a TT or 5er longer distance in a shorter time if the tow vehicle is set up right.
We have all types except the 5er but friends have had them and eventually moved back to TT or MH.
__________________
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights
Howdy to you, we also live right here in Kansas- west side of Fort Riley.
Hi and welcome. The only advice I have for you is to stay away from Ron. I just visited with him and his lovely family and I gained five pounds.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
4Knights's Avatar
 
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall

Hi and welcome. The only advice I have for you is to stay away from Ron. I just visited with him and his lovely family and I gained five pounds.
More like 10 but the jet ski ride caused him to lose 5
__________________
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bsirby's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,750
Hello Randy, welcome to IRV2. I am not going to try and say what is best for you. Only you can determine that. Good luck and safe travels. Let us know what you decide.
__________________
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and BooBoo our cat.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Howdy to you, we also live right here in Kansas- west side of Fort Riley.

We have a MH but to each their own. My question for your decision is how much time do you have to travel from home to your out of state job? A MH is fantastic all around but speed is not in that equation! You could pull a TT or 5er longer distance in a shorter time if the tow vehicle is set up right.
We have all types except the 5er but friends have had them and eventually moved back to TT or MH.
The Army and Ft. Riley is why I live in Kansas. I was assigned to Ft. Riley in 1980 after ROTC and FAOBC at Ft. Sill. I thought the Army was going to be my career but ended up changing my plans (meeting and marrying a KS girl who didn't like the Army life) and never left Kansas.

I work in OKC now and live in Lawrence. I had planned to move but can't afford to sell the house. So I saw it as an opportunity to do something I had wanted to do for a while, get an RV. Speed isn't much of an issue since I plan to leave it parked in OKC except when my wife and I use it for vacations. I'm definitely leaning towards a used TT to get started and see where it goes.
__________________
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and advice.
__________________
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trucker View Post
Hi Randy, Good question. different answer from every one that is satisfied with what they have.

Since you already have a late model 1/2 ton pickup, and probably not ready to up date. You might consider a nice used pull type TT that would be weight compatible with your pickup weight limitations. Could find a nice trailer for $8,000 to $12,000. My daughter and son in law recently traded 26 ft Terry 5th wheel for a new 2013 Rockwood windjamer. They have a light duty 3/4 ton 4 door Cheve, 350 engine. He says the new trailer pulls much easier and rides much better with the TT and a good antisway hitch. The Terry was NOT tall like some 5th wheel, but I have drove it, was not impressed.. . Aparently you are a younger man with kids at home. This might be an economical starter, especially since you already have a late model pickup.

I have a 36 ft diesel pusher motor home and love it. Next story, with a tow vechicle I have 2 drive trains to maintain and insure. Tow bar, mounting plates and labor, over $1200. Hard to buy a nice used motorhome for the price of a TT. Already haveing a pickup would make me think about the used economical TT with a good antisway hitch. Good wishes from an old retired cross country trucker..... old trucker
No, don't have kids at home. My youngest is 28. It's my wife and I now.

I agree that since I have the truck it makes more sense to get a towable and TT's seem to be the quickest and cheapest way to get started. That was the way I started thinking but got attracted to MH because they seemed to me to be a little more convenient except for the part about having to tow another vehicle around. I'm still not completely convince to go with a TT over 5th wheel though. It seems the cost difference may be worthwhile for the extra room and features you get.
__________________
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,314
Hi Randy! Welcome to IRV2! Sure glad to have you join the group! Your question is a "toughie". We started with a 5th wheel 11 years ago and just recently bought a Class A. Still not 100% sure we did the right thing! Don't act too quickly, give it a lot of thought. Two big factors are maintenance and insurance (after getting over the shock of buying). TT's and 5ers are so simple to maintain compared to a MH and there's a huge difference in the cost of insurance. You might want to spend some time searching the motorhome sections of the forums. This topic has been discussed many times. Good luck & God bless!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.