Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #1

Hello everybody! I just joined the site today. I'm from the Metro Detroit area in Michigan. I'm pretty new to RVing, I bought my first travel trailer about 3 months ago. So far I've only used it a few times, it sure beats a tent though! It's an older TT, a 21ft 1988 Mallard Sprinter, but it's paid for! Aside from replacing the water heater, batteries, and 1 propane tank that had the old valve, I was able to get everything working great with just alittle fiddling with and cleaning. It really serves me well as I like to camp off the beaten path, typically where I have no access to any services, everything in it aside from the air conditioning will run off of 12V or Propane. Plus it has a pretty good sized fresh water tank, the grey tends to fill quickly, but I just run a hose from it away from camp and leave the grey valve open. I was also suprised on my one longer trip to find that I barely even ran down 1 battery (I have 2 group 27) on a 4 day trip, with 6 people using the shower everyday.

I pull it with my 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, which tows it great, but is lacking on power. I bought the TT to be towed behind the Wagoneer so I specifically looked for a smaller lighter TT. I have a 5,000lb tow rating, so with my TT coming in at 3,700 dry, and probably around 4,500 loaded, I feel I left a comfortable margin of safety. I also bought a reeses dual cam weight distributing hitch, anti-sway bar, Tekonsha Prodogy brake controller, and Mckesh door mount mirrors for it. I've towed without all that stuff before, and after seing first hand what a night mare that is I made sure to get all the right equipment!

Like I said I do like to boondock and try to stay away from actual camp grounds. I'm a younger guy, 27 without any kids and when I get away I like to just relax, so most of the camp grounds around my area that are crawling with kids don't apeal to me too much. I'm looking for some good places to boondock, preferable something alittle closer to home so I can just run over there for the weekend, not spend a couple hundred bucks on gas, and use my travel trailer alittle more often, if anybody has any sugestions in S.E. Michigan let me know.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #2

Hello everybody! I just joined the site today. I'm from the Metro Detroit area in Michigan. I'm pretty new to RVing, I bought my first travel trailer about 3 months ago. So far I've only used it a few times, it sure beats a tent though! It's an older TT, a 21ft 1988 Mallard Sprinter, but it's paid for! Aside from replacing the water heater, batteries, and 1 propane tank that had the old valve, I was able to get everything working great with just alittle fiddling with and cleaning. It really serves me well as I like to camp off the beaten path, typically where I have no access to any services, everything in it aside from the air conditioning will run off of 12V or Propane. Plus it has a pretty good sized fresh water tank, the grey tends to fill quickly, but I just run a hose from it away from camp and leave the grey valve open. I was also suprised on my one longer trip to find that I barely even ran down 1 battery (I have 2 group 27) on a 4 day trip, with 6 people using the shower everyday.

I pull it with my 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, which tows it great, but is lacking on power. I bought the TT to be towed behind the Wagoneer so I specifically looked for a smaller lighter TT. I have a 5,000lb tow rating, so with my TT coming in at 3,700 dry, and probably around 4,500 loaded, I feel I left a comfortable margin of safety. I also bought a reeses dual cam weight distributing hitch, anti-sway bar, Tekonsha Prodogy brake controller, and Mckesh door mount mirrors for it. I've towed without all that stuff before, and after seing first hand what a night mare that is I made sure to get all the right equipment!

Like I said I do like to boondock and try to stay away from actual camp grounds. I'm a younger guy, 27 without any kids and when I get away I like to just relax, so most of the camp grounds around my area that are crawling with kids don't apeal to me too much. I'm looking for some good places to boondock, preferable something alittle closer to home so I can just run over there for the weekend, not spend a couple hundred bucks on gas, and use my travel trailer alittle more often, if anybody has any sugestions in S.E. Michigan let me know.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
RedGuy, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of yoru adventures and experiences. COngratulations on your first rig. I am sure you will find this website to be of great value and a lot of fun. Sorry I do no know your area for exploring but I am sure some of our members will. Good luck, have a great summer and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote