Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #1

Hello from San Diego

Hi you all,
Just joined yesterday and already got some very useful information. We have been RVing for a long time now, but are not full timers. We pulled a trailer for many years when the kids were young, they are all now on their own with nice families. Now we have a grand old lady Alumi-lite Holiday Rambler and pull a toad when we do travel. Except for the 3 month Alaska RV trip last year, no toad and did not miss it

Many happy trails to you all,
Dan
DCGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to have you join us, Dan. Join in the discussions and feel free to start your own.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dan;

Welcome to iRV2. We are glad you found us. Post often and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Dan and WELCOME!!!

Tell us about your trip to Alaska (and photo's )

It is a trip that is on my bucket list and love to hear the good and the things to avoid as well. Three months sounds perfect. Can really take your time and enjoy it!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Hi Dan and WELCOME!!!

Tell us about your trip to Alaska (and photo's )

It is a trip that is on my bucket list and love to hear the good and the things to avoid as well. Three months sounds perfect. Can really take your time and enjoy it!

Sheila
Yes, it is a trip of a lifetime. Three months is about right as you have plenty of time to see and do most things on the trip. Do your homework before you go, purchase a travel book called 'The MilePost', this book is updated every year and gives you a mile by mile description on the Alaska Highway (The ALCAN). It also does the two routes to mile 0 (Dawson Creek, Canada) from the US and many more routes and roads pertaining to the great trip to the North. We also found 'The Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping' very useful and a bit easier to use. Not sure where you would start the trip, but I highly recommend the west (starting in Vancouver, BC) route to mile 0, the route from the east is just mile after mile of flat farm land.

I see from your signature, you pull a trailer. Most folks who were shook up about the roads were pulling trailers. However, I discovered that they were the ones that in my words, their goal was to get there. My goal was that the trip itself was the adventure. In other words, they were driving to fast- oh this was true for the MHer's too. You will have no problems, just take it nice and slow, you will see all the sights and wildlife that way. This advice is esp. true the last couple hundred of miles before crossing into Alaska, miles and miles of frost heaves. Trailer folks found things on the floor:-)

Anyway, go ASAP. With the economy the way it is, there are not very many driving up there, which makes it very easy to find camp sites and to just show up for touristy things without reservations.

Camping along side lakes, rivers and fjords for under $20.00 and sometimes free is quite unbelievable.

Hey, I hope you make it sooner then later,
I do not know how to post photos yet
Dan
Old 08-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't wait to do it but, unfortunately, it's going to be a few years. I work at a place that I have to fight to get one week off, they would never allow more than that. Some day.......

As for pictures there are two ways:

1. First part is from the Help Section of this site:

Albums and PicturesHow do I use albums?
As a member, you can create Albums of images that are linked to your public profile. Albums can be created by visiting the User Control Panel, and clicking on the 'Pictures & Albums' link, and then clicking on 'Add Album'.

Each album can have a title ('Joe's Holiday to Nepal'), a description ('A bunch of photos from my recent adventure') and can be of three different types: Public, Private or Profile.
  • Public albums can be viewed by anyone
  • Private albums can only be viewed by site staff (moderators, administrators) and your Friends and Contacts (info)
  • Profile albums are viewable only by you. However, you can use the images to customize your public profile (info)
How do I upload pictures?
Once you've created an album you can upload images to it. Simply view the album and click on 'Upload Pictures'.
You'll have the option to give each picture a caption, and to set one image as the Album cover, which will be displayed on the public profile. To delete an album or edit the title, description or album type, click on 'Edit Album'. To delete an image, or to edit a caption or change the album cover, click on 'Edit Pictures'.
All members who have access to your album images can comment on them, in a similar way to Profile Comments (more info). You can delete any image comments from your albums, and report inappropriate messages to moderators.
When you have uploaded a picture, you can place it in your posts by using the BB code text that is displayed below the image when you view it at full size.

2. The other way is from off site, like Photobucket or Picasso. I use Photobucket.

Upload your photo to Photobucket (free BTW). After your picture is in Photobucket, hover your cursor over the photo. You will see several ways to link. Copy the one that says "DIRECT LINK".

Go back to your message and click on the insert image icon (looks like a mountain with a yellow background that is above your message you are typing a few icons over from the insert link.

Paste your link, that you copied from Photobucket there and click OK. Be aware that the Photobucket address begins with HTTP and you will see that already populated when you open the insert image icon. Just delete one of them.

If you have done it correctly, you will see your picture, if not, a red X.

Hope that this helps!

Sheila

Old 09-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #7

Confused

Hi,
I tried to upload a picture today using your second option and it just did not work. I use Picasso. I then tried the first option and there is not Album link in my control panel.

Thanks
Dan
Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Dan,

I use Photobucket, so perhaps for Picasso, it is a little different.

Lori, do you have Picasso to give him instructions?

Sheila
Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #9

Hi,
I finally went to the FAQ section and found the instructions. I posted a picture of our unit in the Vintage forum - the post a picture thread.
Thank you for the help.
Dan