Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #1

Hello from the PNW!

Hi all,

If my nickname makes you wonder if I am Dutch, yes I am:-)
My husband and I are expats and have lived in several countries in Europe and this is our second time in the US, we have live in California for 3 years before moving to France.
I have a chronic illness that unfortunately left me disabled and it made us decide to move back to the USA in the hope on better treatment for me.

We are no strangers to camping the European way with tents, folding trailers and those small lightweight with smooth rounded corners trailers that we call Caravan that we tow behind our tiny European cars. :-) . With the amount of vacation days that one has in Europe we had some great travels! Especially France was great withe the whole month of August off as everyone is off and on vacation. Normal life just comes to a standstill.

I can no longer travel, one of my passions. I have become mostly bed and homebound due to my illness. The only way I could fulfill my wish to see as much of this beautiful continent is to take my bed and home with me! So that's what we are working on at the moment. We're planning for a 5th wheel and husband already has located the truck he wants, Ford 350 with dual tires? Now all we have to do is decide on the trailer and most of all the floor plan.
We oohed and ached and went back and fort all summer long last year and could not decide. This year is going to be different, we _will_ have a trailer in a few weeks/months. We have to. I will tell that story later.

Because I am disabled and have a lot of pain 24/7 I have some specific wishes, I like as much advice as possible about that. I will ask those in the appropriate forum topic. Basically it's about my need for my own bed and my husband who does not want to make his bed every night and sleep on a couch. We hope there is a way to get 2 twin beds instead of 1 king or queen and need help deciding what's the best way to go about this and the best brand and model to use for this. I use an electric wheelchair outdoors or an electric scooter.

We will be traveling with our 2 Border Collie mixes and our cat Nyx. My husband works for a large semi-conductor as software/hardware architect and will be able to work from 'home'. I am/was a graphic designer in a prior life many moons ago.

Oh my I see I wrote another novel. I will try to keep it shorter next time!
Looking forward getting to know you all and learn as much as possible.

I'm using this forum from my iPad while sequestered to my bed. Thank you so much whoever developed this application, it makes all the difference in the world to me!

--
Dutchgrl
Portland and suburbs, OR

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Welcome to the Form. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Good luck finding the "Right" 5th wheel trailor.
Again.."Welcome Aboard".

Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dutchgrl;

Welcome to iRV2. I am sorry to learn about your health problems. I do admire your tenacious attitude about continuing the camping lifestyle. We have a great group here who like to help when they can so don't be afraid to ask questions as you browse the forums that interest you. Keep us posted on your purchase to meet your needs.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #4

I don't know what other requirements you might have in a 5th wheel or motor home, but ours has twin beds........they are few and far between, but they ARE out there. If you are looking for new one there are some smaller Class A's out right now that have the option of twin beds, also. Good luck finding just the right 'home' and here's hoping you are on the road very soon.
MoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRV
I don't know what other requirements you might have in a 5th wheel or motor home, but ours has twin beds........they are few and far between, but they ARE out there. If you are looking for new one there are some smaller Class A's out right now that have the option of twin beds, also. Good luck finding just the right 'home' and here's hoping you are on the road very soon.
The suggestion I made to DH about a motorhome being so much more comfortable did not make a lasting impression I'm afraid. At this moment in time a 'new to us' metallic dark red Ford F-350 Ranger Ranch, dually, V8 6 liters if I remember correctly, is parked in our drive way. Ready to tow some serious 5th wheeler! Now all we need to do is to agree on a floor plan and the brand. Shouldn't be too hard right? :-) will keep you posted.