Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Hello from what is left in Joplin MO

Greetings from Joplin! We bought a diesel truck a couple of years ago in plans of buying a 5th wheel. Then when the economy took a turn for the worse we decided to hold off for a while. Then the tornado hit Joplin and changed life. We lost our business, which was a rented building. We had content insurance but to find a new place to rent was impossible because the tornado destructed a 13 mile long pathway thru Joplin. We bought a building which has full RV hookups on the back of it. We are now again looking, although we really don't want to take on even more debt, we can use the 5tj wheel while the remodeling process is going on, probablly 3 months. Because the city is trying to facilitate rebuiilding in a safe, and structured manner, rebulding is going to be slow. We are looking at a unit that is much longer than we really wanted, because to get the larger living room with slides on both sides, they seem to be long. We always wanted a side bath. We intend to take the chairs out and use the living room as an exam room. Crazy I know, but it's the best we can think of that will help us get back, and eventually we will be able to go away for weekends to close locations and relax again.

JoMoTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi guys, sorry to hear about your loss. Hope everything works out OK for you. Welcome to the forum

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry for the losses suffered by you and the people of Joplin. My mother lived there as a little girl and it was all so sad to hear.

Feel free to jump in and post questions or join in on discussions.

IMO the fiver might be a really good option for you right now. I'm sure you're up to your eyeballs already in the business and this would take away some of the stress of being seperated from the progress. The only caution I would have is that you not use these three months to form an opinion of the RV lifestyle. You're going to learn a lot about how to operate the systems but it won't be at all like sitting outside with your first cup of coffee listening to the birds in the forrest.

Best of luck...

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome, sounds like the makings of a plan. Please let us know how it all works out.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We don't get any news updates anymore... Seems the national news stations have other important news to cover. Is the Missouri river flooding any parts of Joplin? Stay safe!
iRV4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
No flooding here, as a matter of fact, we haven't had any rain really since the day after the tornado, when we received 7 inches. If it wasn't blown apart, it was ruined by the rain. We really need some rain here to do away with the dust bowl. All of the people operating the giant trucks and heavy equipment hauling everything away are breathing in all of that dust and gunk if they aren't wearing respirators, which they are supposed to be using.
JoMoTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Sorry to hear of the loss. I drove through Joplin a few days after the event, just no words to describe what I saw. Best wishs for you guys getting things back together!

No rain and 100+ degree days have been tough.

If you find anything around the Tulsa area and need pictures or anything let me know.

2004.5 Dodge RAM 2500 Cummins
2006 Wildwood
One how to RV book.
hacksaw1340 is offline   Reply With Quote