Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #1

Hi everyone! My wife and I are about to take the plunge into full time RV'ing here pretty soon and we are getting ready to order a KSDP 3943. We are going through everything like a gazillion times trying to get everything just right and since everyone here seems so friendly and informative I figured I'd make a post to see what everyone thought. The more input the better so don't be shy

Background, we are pretty set on the bunk models, looked at the All Star 4154 (didn't like the mid engine design and opening in the floor) and the similar Ventana models and weren't happy for one reason or another so we've pretty much decided on the KS. I do have some questions on the options and hopefully some of you can help us out with your insight:

1. I'm leaning towards the 400hp Cummings over the standard 360. Is it worth the $6,821? I'm sure we'll spend some time in the mountains at some point but we are from Florida and its pretty flat around here. I'm sure I'll appreciate the extra power if we are traveling in Colorado though. Any thoughts?

2. Norcold vs Dometic? Everyone seems to have Norcold so thats what we were going to do. Is one really better than the other?

3. TV area relocation in place of the small sofa. Anyone done this? Anyone have a pic? I'll toast my next adult beverage in your honor if you had a pic, the closer to the KS range the better. I saw an Essex pic on the forums but that was much fancier than what they'll throw together on a Kountry Star. Anyone? We like the idea of not having to crane our necks to the side in order to watch tv. Sure we lose out on some seating but with the swival chairs up front and dinette chairs our guests, the few times we'll have them can deal with it

4. Anyone with bunks on a similar plan to the 3943? Care to share a pic or two? Are they spacious enough for kids? How about adults? Dimensions on the floor plan show 26*72 but honestly that stuff can be misleading.

5. Power Lock arms on the slides worth it? I'm guessing those are automatic slide locks as opposed to having to manually push the slide arms up like we saw on the older KS. Am I correct? If so we'll be getting them just for the convenience of not having to screw with it on 4 slides every time we retract or put them out.

6. Select comfort mattress. Our bed in the coach is 60*80 does newmar have a super secret upgrade that we can get one of these? How about if I beg them really well? I've seen a few Newmar's for sale on Rv trader with them so I'm not sure if its an option or not. Perhaps they did it afterwards and if thats the case how in the heck did they get them inside? I can't imagine fitting that through the door even as a queen size.

7. Desk space! Dear wife is driving me nuts because she vetoed my combination desk / dinette option I wanted. She feels it will take too much space away from the table and I can kind of see her point. Is this valid? How much space do you lose out on and is the desk even worth it or is it a POS? We haven't been able to see one as the dealer here didn't have a model with it on the lot. Pictures would help here as well

8. Anyone have Ginger Maple cabinets? If so can you snap a pic or two and send it to me? We are hoping for a darker, more homey feel to the cabinets since everything else is on the light side in the coach, like the 07 cherry cabinets on the KS provided but unfortunately they are not offering them in the KS lineup this year Too bad because they were beautiful.

9. Last question I promiss What satellite system are you using? I'm a techie kind of guy and I'm thinking of not going for the Kingdome or KVH system and opting for an after factory Moto sat. My reasoning is I want to use dual tuner DVRs and as I understand it king dome and KVH only have a single LNB so when you switch stations on a different bird it has to change sats as well. That would make recording two things or watching something and recording another on different birds impossible which would seem annoying. Especially with HD getting spread out over 2 new birds on Diret TV and Dish also launching 2 new birds for their HD lineups.
Motosat would allow all the sats on the dish with no switching similar to a home setup. No in motion but thats not a biggie for me as we have recorded crap to watch on the road.

I just want ya'lls input on that if possible.

Sorry for the length but we do appreciate your help. For some reason the RV community always seems so darn helpful. Sure there are a few twits in any group but its amazing to see so many nice people sharing a similar interest.

Well I've rambled long enough. Thank you for your input and if you can post or email any pictures they are apprecaited.

tke577@yahoo.com

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #2

Hi everyone! My wife and I are about to take the plunge into full time RV'ing here pretty soon and we are getting ready to order a KSDP 3943. We are going through everything like a gazillion times trying to get everything just right and since everyone here seems so friendly and informative I figured I'd make a post to see what everyone thought. The more input the better so don't be shy

Background, we are pretty set on the bunk models, looked at the All Star 4154 (didn't like the mid engine design and opening in the floor) and the similar Ventana models and weren't happy for one reason or another so we've pretty much decided on the KS. I do have some questions on the options and hopefully some of you can help us out with your insight:

1. I'm leaning towards the 400hp Cummings over the standard 360. Is it worth the $6,821? I'm sure we'll spend some time in the mountains at some point but we are from Florida and its pretty flat around here. I'm sure I'll appreciate the extra power if we are traveling in Colorado though. Any thoughts?

2. Norcold vs Dometic? Everyone seems to have Norcold so thats what we were going to do. Is one really better than the other?

3. TV area relocation in place of the small sofa. Anyone done this? Anyone have a pic? I'll toast my next adult beverage in your honor if you had a pic, the closer to the KS range the better. I saw an Essex pic on the forums but that was much fancier than what they'll throw together on a Kountry Star. Anyone? We like the idea of not having to crane our necks to the side in order to watch tv. Sure we lose out on some seating but with the swival chairs up front and dinette chairs our guests, the few times we'll have them can deal with it

4. Anyone with bunks on a similar plan to the 3943? Care to share a pic or two? Are they spacious enough for kids? How about adults? Dimensions on the floor plan show 26*72 but honestly that stuff can be misleading.

5. Power Lock arms on the slides worth it? I'm guessing those are automatic slide locks as opposed to having to manually push the slide arms up like we saw on the older KS. Am I correct? If so we'll be getting them just for the convenience of not having to screw with it on 4 slides every time we retract or put them out.

6. Select comfort mattress. Our bed in the coach is 60*80 does newmar have a super secret upgrade that we can get one of these? How about if I beg them really well? I've seen a few Newmar's for sale on Rv trader with them so I'm not sure if its an option or not. Perhaps they did it afterwards and if thats the case how in the heck did they get them inside? I can't imagine fitting that through the door even as a queen size.

7. Desk space! Dear wife is driving me nuts because she vetoed my combination desk / dinette option I wanted. She feels it will take too much space away from the table and I can kind of see her point. Is this valid? How much space do you lose out on and is the desk even worth it or is it a POS? We haven't been able to see one as the dealer here didn't have a model with it on the lot. Pictures would help here as well

8. Anyone have Ginger Maple cabinets? If so can you snap a pic or two and send it to me? We are hoping for a darker, more homey feel to the cabinets since everything else is on the light side in the coach, like the 07 cherry cabinets on the KS provided but unfortunately they are not offering them in the KS lineup this year Too bad because they were beautiful.

9. Last question I promiss What satellite system are you using? I'm a techie kind of guy and I'm thinking of not going for the Kingdome or KVH system and opting for an after factory Moto sat. My reasoning is I want to use dual tuner DVRs and as I understand it king dome and KVH only have a single LNB so when you switch stations on a different bird it has to change sats as well. That would make recording two things or watching something and recording another on different birds impossible which would seem annoying. Especially with HD getting spread out over 2 new birds on Diret TV and Dish also launching 2 new birds for their HD lineups.
Motosat would allow all the sats on the dish with no switching similar to a home setup. No in motion but thats not a biggie for me as we have recorded crap to watch on the road.

I just want ya'lls input on that if possible.

Sorry for the length but we do appreciate your help. For some reason the RV community always seems so darn helpful. Sure there are a few twits in any group but its amazing to see so many nice people sharing a similar interest.

Well I've rambled long enough. Thank you for your input and if you can post or email any pictures they are apprecaited.

tke577@yahoo.com

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

WELCOME to iRV2!!

You've picked a great coach!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">7. Desk space! Dear wife is driving me nuts because she vetoed my combination desk / dinette option I wanted. She feels it will take too much space away from the table and I can kind of see her point. Is this valid? How much space do you lose out on and is the desk even worth it or is it a POS? We haven't been able to see one as the dealer here didn't have a model with it on the lot. Pictures would help here as well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you mention this....I am in the process of having my u shaped dinette removed and having Irv Kaufman build me a custome desk/dinette combo....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
First off ... Welcome to the best RV forum around!! You will love it here.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Select comfort mattress </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We hated ours...We put in one of the Queen Novaform mattresses from Costco in to replace the Select Comfort. I will sell it to you for $100 ...cuz it is NOT worth the $800 optional charge!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm leaning towards the 400hp Cummings over the standard 360 </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Go with the 400 You will be glad you did the first time you tow something behind you on a steep grade (PS- it is spelled without the G...Cummins)
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> TV area relocation in place of the small sofa </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We have talked about doing this ..in a combination computer desk/retractable TV cabinet If you do something like this ...please post pictures! We love the idea.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Desk space! Dear wife is driving me nuts because she vetoed my combination desk / dinette option </div></BLOCKQUOTE>..See the one directly above - does this take care of that problem?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Kingdome or KVH system and opting for an after factory Moto sat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>MOTO-SAT We will eventually replace the Kingdome with the Moto-Sat. It seems that these others area "hit & Miss" system.

Hey ... you asked ...it is just my opinion - but hopefully it helps!
I am sure you will enjoy your new RV immensely!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Aridon - welcome to the forum and to becoming a Newmar driver.

Definitely the Cummins. I've had both (had a KSDP with the Cat 330).

I do not have (although I lust after) a MotoSat. We have had 2 Kingdomes and on neither do/did I have to change the satellite switch to get feeds from both the 101 & the 110 birds. They have been find & forget.

If you are like me, I never latched the rear-end slide arms on the KS because I couldn't reach them easily. The power lock arms are the way to go. It keeps the squeaks down, and ensures your slide is secure.

We're on our 3rd Norcold in 6 months - enough said.

We loved our Select Comfort that we put in the KSDP. If you opt for that, I suggest getting the hard-wired controllers for each side of the bed. The wireless one we have at home only allows changing the setting by a factor of 5, with the wired ones you can precisely set the pressure to your liking.

We have the desk/table combo in this coach and love it! We eat all our meals on TV trays or a FOCAL Wood Products Hi-Lo table so table space isn't an issue. DW puts her sewing machine on the table when we arrive and it stays there until we leave.

Enjoy your new coach and let us hear from you about your adventures.

Doc

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aridon:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 400 ISL comes with a true 2 speed engine brake. The 360 ISC uses the less desirable exhaust brake.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:48 AM   #7

One of the best things I did was a special request to eliminate the carpet in the living room area, and go with entire simulated tile -- the only place I've got carpeting is in the bedroom and on the living room slide.

I've also got the combination dining/computer desk, and wouldn't be without it. With the two leaf extensions, there's actually quite a bit of room.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Aridon to irv2 and the Newmar forum.
Congrats on your soon to be KSDP 3943.
You have received some good answers I'm sure more will follow. I'm just a gaser who fixs up old coachs the new ones are out of my reach now.
Many safe and happy miles in your to be MH, enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Aridon,
We've had the signature coach for a couple of years, 28K miles and been from South Florida to the Rocky Mountains. Because the bunk bed model has been chosen, my assumption is more than two people will be traveling a good bit of the time. The 3943 was not available in 05. We purchased the 3910 because we travel with a bunch of people, most of the time. My comments about your post are:
1. For the floor plan questions, look at the coach in the three ways you will use it. These are:
1. Traveling - Are there enough seat belts for everyone? Where will everyone sit? Can items needed be retrieved with the slides closed?
2. Dining - The chief cook should look at the kitchen preparation area and the food consumption area. Can food be prepared easily? Where will everyone sit? Can everyone eat at once? What will be needed to prepare and consume a meal together? Can you have a family meal the way you want to?
3. Sleeping - Where will everyone sleep. What must be done to get the coach ready for sleeping? What must be done to put the coach into the eating or travel positions from the sleeping position?
Really give the floor plan a hard look, based on how you will use the coach. This will answer your floor plan questions.

With regard to the engine size, you can see I have the ISC 330. I tow 5.1K lbs of vehicle. I am happy with my engine performance. When God gave out macho HP genes, I must have been in the bathroom. I've never been much for big engines. I average a very steady 7.5 MPG in almost all driving conditions. The coach has all the pulling and uphill speed I need. If you can, drive a coach and see what is best for you.

Norcold vs Dometic - They all have their problems. This is one area I would go for the biggest unit that is offered, regardless of Brand.

I am confused about the TV question. If bunk beds are needed it follow that entertainment seating would also be needed. We don't have many rain days, but when we do, it is great having all the different seating options.

Bunk beds - For kids okay. For me the bunks are not comfortable for an adult. I am 73" tall and skinny (so I've been told). The mattress is the main problem. A new mattress would be one of my first after market purchases. The length is the next problem. There is no way for me to lay straight. I also think the bunks and mattress are not a standard width. The bed seems narrow.

Power lock arems is an "Easy Button". Get them.

Select Comfort Mattress. I have no experience with the Select Comfort product. The 60X80 bed is not big enough for the wife and me. This is one reason I will not buy the 3943. For us, it is a King bed or we will not buy. Look hard at this size bed.

We have the KVH L3 in motion dish (grand kids us it all the time when traveling). We have Direct TV and two receivers. One up front and another in the rear bedroom. They can be tuned independently of each other. I do not have HD capability. For the amount of time I watch TV, very little, I am please with my setup. I also have a portable dish for when the roof mounted dish is blocked.

Good luck and many happy miles.

As you can see, by the posts, your coach will fit you and only you. That is the way it should be.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #10

We bought our 2004 DSDP 3 1/2 years ago. One of the things that I had to have was the desk/dinette combo. It has been very handy for computer use and extra drawers for storage.
We have the manual slide locks. In the 38,000 miles, we have put on the MH, they have never been used. Never used them on my 2002 Dutch Star either.
I would go for the 400 hp, between the 2 choices.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #11

I have been fulltiming for two years in a KSDP 3910 and can comment on the following:

1. 400hp Cummins vs 360.
This summer I have been traveling in mountain terrain pulling a 4020 lb toad and have sometimes wished I had a larger engine. My Cummins 330 ISC is adequate but requires a watchful eye when climbing long steep grades on hot summer days to keep the engine from overheating. Manually downshifting to keep the RPMs in the 2000 to 2200 range has helped keep the engine temp below 230 deg. At one point on Utah SH-12 I found myself in 1st gear up against the govenor climbing a 14% grade on the dreaded "Hogsback". Top speed was 15 MPH @ 2200 RPM.

2. Norcold vs Dometic?
Six of one, half dozen of the other. I have a 12 CUFT Dometic side by side w/ icemaker and it has been flawless. Just get the largest.

5. Power Lock arms on the slides worth it?
Absolutly! Get them. I have the manual and kick myself everytime I use them. Hate climbing over the bed and trying to squeeze my arms between the slide and the wall to operate the locks. The tool Newmar supplies works but is a real PITA.

6. Select comfort mattress.
I added a memory foam topper to my standard mattress and it has been as comfortable as any bed I haver ever used.

7. Desk space!
The Newmar desk is an excellent piece of furniture. I do not need the dining space and the desk drawers are very functional. My laptop, printer and external keyboard are permanantly at ome here. Have an extra 120 VAC recepticle installed to accomodate extra hardware.

If you like to sleep late, get the day/night curtains.

Bill

2005 39' Newmar KSDP3910, Spartan, 330 Cummins
Vigibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
If Newmar won't do a Select Comfort for you as an option, buy one direct:

http://www.selectcomfort.com/specialty_beds/rv_bed.cfm

joe
Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #13

Aridon,

One more thing you might want to consider, since you are going to have a custom entertainment system: have Newmar wire your entire coach for high definition. All of the TV's in my DSDP are high def, but none of the cabling is.

And definitely go with the MotoSat MHDTV instead of King Dome or KVH, unless you just have to have in motion. The MHDTV has 3 LNB's, which is what you need to receive all of DirecTV's hi def programming. I wish I had...

Welcome to IRV2. Please let us know what you end up doing.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The 400 ISL comes with a true 2 speed engine brake. The 360 ISC uses the less desirable exhaust brake.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe only the DSDP and above have the engine brake, but not 100% sure.

1. The 360 HP engine is an 8.3L ISC with 1050 lb. ft. of torque. The 400 HP engine is a 8.9L ISL with 1200 lb. ft. of torque.

2. Dometic not the Nocold, as it used to be called.

5. I didn't the $3000 power slide locks as there were a lot of problems with them when I bought. Haven't heard of any problems lately.

7. The computer desk has leaves to extend the table, plus the desk makes a great buffet to keep the table less cluttered. Go look at one.

9. MotoSAT MHDTV works great.

10. I got the blackout day night shades. They do block all light.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote