Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Hello iRV2 folks

Good site with lots of helpful contributors. I was happy to become an iRV2 supporter since I have learned a lot during my short two weeks reading many topics here.

You may want to skip reading all below since it is just a wall of words and I may start another thread asking for advice but continue to read and respond if you like....
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

I have never owned, slept, nor even ridden in an RV of any type. Why am I here? I have a few more years left before military retirement and may be moving to a new assignment. The home I puchased a few years ago is worth 100K less than I paid (am paying) for it, so I'm kinda stuck with it because I don't want to take that kind of a loss. I may be able to rent it out for enough to cover the mortgage and the hassle of renters and rental management for years to come.

So, I may be moving to an economically depressed area where housing prices are expected to fall again next year when the local area foreclosures resume at an expected higher pace. Apparantly, there have been some local measures to stop the bleeding but it will start again soon. I don't want to find myself in the same situation with yet another rope around my financial neck. I also don't want to "throw money away" by renting. Renters, please don't take offense I have rented in the past and may be forced to rent again. Of course I realize that RV'ing is expensive and may be one of the best ways to throw money away next to auto racing and airplane flying.

The place I'm talking about is Reno and it is not a place I would want to stay in after the three to four years I plan to work is up. So my possibly crazy idea is to get a DP between 38 and 44 feet and live in it full time. It seems appealing to have something like that because I have no idea where I am going to go when I'm done working with the military. I will probably still have to work many more years. I do not want a TT and I'm only interested in a DP at this time. From time to time I could take it on a short trip in the southwest / northwest.

The DP has to be able to withstand hot and cold since I will be stuck in the high desert for a few years and won't be able to follow the good weather. I will be the only two legged creature living in the rig but I will have two four legged critters with me. I think I would need a reliable rig and don't want to come home after 12 to 48 hours to non breathing fur balls. I think I would need Aqua-hot (no propane) and at least a 10K generator for dry camping. I know I will have to long term in trailer/camping parks and that is really the least appealing aspect of this whole deal, although 400 square feet may be tough on me and my indoor felines as well.

I know that an RV is a depreciating asset but renting is also spending money at a high rate and you can't drive to the lake in your rented house/condo.

I warned you it was long, ha ha.....
To finish up here are a few rigs I'm considering:
Entegra Anthem or perhaps an Aspire just not too keen on LP.
A new or used Tiffen, Win/Itasco, Fleetwood, AC, product. Something in the 180K to 280K range.

My other issue is I will have to park it in storage for a year while I'm sent on yet another one year fun filled working vacation in some dangerous and far away place mid 2014.

Anyway, thanks for reading and see you on the forums!

Cheers and GARRYOWEN!

No rig currently, no RV experience, considering something...
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Oh boy, four years in Reno, huh?

With your budget you should be able to find an amazing rig that you'll be happy with. We too jumped right in and bought a brand new 40DP as our first ever RV. You'll love being able to get away to the PNW or Southwest for short get a ways. It provides a degree of freedom which is just amazing.

As for living in 400 sq ft... we went full time for the better part of four years... traveling with our three small dogs... and adapted very easily. Then, once we were ready to purchase another stick house, buying a 1600 sq ft townhouse made it seem like we were living in a palace. It really helped with the traditional retirement "downsizing" from the big old house which was a maintenance hog.

Best of luck.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Garry, welcome to IRV2. I think you will find that the RV's today are like living in a studio apt. You will be amazed at the space, especially if its just you and the pets. Some of the parks with full timers are not too bad. Just need to look around for the best one. Good luck and thank you for your service.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum! Good luck in your search for a DP, and thank you for your service.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the site and all your future adventures. Good luck with the rv shopping and hope you find just the right unit for you.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Welcome to the forum,

My website describes the conversion of my Dodge B-250 van into a small RV. I deal with a lot of woodworking, but hope to be quite specific on solar as well.
cargovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Thanks for the welcome!
No rig currently, no RV experience, considering something...
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.

2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote