Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2011, 01:49 AM   #1

Hello New to the community

Hi Folks,

I am new to the community in that I just purchased by first 5th wheel. It is a perfect starter for me as the price was $6500; it is a 2000 Fleetwood Wilderness GL M-30-5G - 32 feet. It has two slides on in the kitchen living rm area 14' and one in the bedroom.

I am going to rehab it a bit and bring it up to date by modernizing the interior with some new furniture, a new hardwood floor (providing I can find wood that will not interfere with the slide), and new sinks and upgrade the wall covering. The kitchen table and chairs are in great shape, but I am going to recover the cushions to go with the new color scheme, more consistent with what is current now. I am going to do chocolates, beiges and browns, with upgraded fixtures. The wood throughout the 5th wheel is in pretty good shape and is oak. I am going to go with a Brazilian hardwood Cherry if I can make it work like I said by not interfering with the slide. The bathroom is going to get some tile for the flooring and I am going to swap out the stand up shower for a more modern unit. I am going to swap out the bathroom sink for a more modern higher end with new fixtures. Once the 5th wheel is fully rehabbed it should look pretty sweet. The outside I am going to wash and buff wax really well and reseal the roof to insure no leaks. So for in the 11 years it has been in the elements there has been no major repairs or issues. The toilet was replaced 3 years ago by the previous owner. I did replace the propane sensor inside the cabin. It has a really nice factory ceiling fan and after I rehab the other area's the last thing I am going to do is swap out all the factory dated lighting for more modern 12 volt fixtures. If any of you have any suggestions regarding where you could point me in the direction of selections of fixtures lights and accessories I am all ears.

I am looking forward to periodically checking in with all of you for your advice and expertise.

Thanks a bunch.....

ms5thwheel of Southern CA.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:51 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome! That sounds like a pretty cool rig to work with and you have the right idea on how to personalize it to your liking. I know that there is nothing like real wood flooring but you might consider the wood laminates. They look nice and hold up well and are thinner so might not interfere with your slide. Also have you considered vinyl tile in the bathroom? Ceramic tile in RV's tend to crack because of the rigors of the road. Just a couple of thoughts. Again welcome to the forum and post often and update us of your progress.
Rod

Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig. Many happy and safe miles.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #4

Thank you. I did find a very thin water proof vinyl flooring. I may go with that if it will hold up to the slide.

This is the link: YouTube - ‪How to Install Surface Source Floating Vinyl Plank Flooring‬‏

Let me know what you think?
Old 05-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think that if you can find the color you like that would be the way to go. Another thing to think of is what type of mechanism your slide has. Some have rollers, others have glides that are riveted on. I have heard of people having problems with scratching from worn rivets.