Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #1

Help me decide Class B or A

New here and need help with our dilema? We are considering 2 different MH's.: 2006 Gulfstream BT (28') Cruiser 4k miles or 2004 Newmar Essex (45') 32k miles.

We can travel probably 3 months a year and enjoy but also like to rent houses in nice areas. Does anyone have any experience with the Gulfstream Cruiser's? I have heard great comments about the Essex.

I know they are 100k apart in price but we want good value for our dollar. Price of the Gulfstream 35k- Essex $159k.

We want to travel with our pets and there is only two of us. The Class B does have a queen bed which we like and couch instead of dinete. Obviously the Newmar Essex is loaded.
dpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #2

You are comparing 28' vs 45'. What a difference! There will be a difference in fuel, where you can park (45' may be a problem in some areas), and there is something to be said for the ease of getting in and out of the cockpit. If you are not full timing, I would go with the Gulfstream.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

Considering 3 months a year plus your interest in renting houses, I also assume you might enjoy some overseas travel the Class B would be a better fit for you IMO. Easier to own, Drive, Maintain, And store.......G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello and Welcome to IRV2! I have to agree with previous posters. The Gulfstream sounds like it will fill your needs.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
I had a class C Winne 06 Aspect 26' for 5 years that is almost exactly like the BT. I now have a 34' class A. They are two different worlds. Tanks size, storage, and CCC are very different. Class C's (yes I do think these are C's not van conversion B's) are easier to drive in tight situations, will fit into rustic campgrounds that longer units will not fit both in width, hight and length. I did several trips with 2 people and a dog for 30 days or so in my C and it worked out fine. But the closeness and shortage of storage is not for everyone. If you only travel for a few weeks at a time I would stay with a C but I plan to travel for months at a time so I upped to an A. It is in all how you use it and your comfort level. Not counting $$$.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
My I suggest another class B.... Forest River Lexington.... I had one for 4 yrs and absolutely loved it.... Three slides; rear queen bed; booth dinette (makes into bed); couch (makes into bed)... 4K gen; sat tv; Ford V10; 9-10mph.... Fantastic rig!!!! Went to Yellowstone with two grandsons this Summer.. Check one out before you decide... Not many class B's will come with 3 slides....

In Sept we up-graded to a class A Forest River Berkshire DP.... Looking toward going semi-full time (6 months in; 6 months out)....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #7

Thanks folks! What a nice response and so quickly. I just discovered this site a week ago.
dpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #8

It really depends on how much space you need to be comfortable. We started out with a 26' Class C, just to "see if we liked the lifestyle". We love the lifestyle but hated that POS. We managed to get rid of it at a reasonable price, but we figured each night away from home cost about $450.

We now have our signature riig. We recognise that it's an 11-ton truck chassis and expect it to ride like one. We can live with it. We'd rather spend $4K on gas and CG fees instead of trying to make an 11-ton truck ride like a Caddy Fleetwood, We only do about 4000 miles a year, so ride quality is not a biggie.

For non-full-time user, a 32' with two slides is about optimum, IMO. We have a bedroom slide that gives us a "Shuffle-around" queen bed and a living room/dinette slide that gives us enough room to move around. IMO, our rig would be good enough for a solo full-timer, but not quite big enough for a couple with a large-ish dog (which we have).

My honest opinion is you need to look into 32 to 36 foot Class A's. Your 45-footer option is, IMO, much too big for a lot of campgrounds. On the other hand, a 28' Class B would be far too small. We chose our rig on the basis that we didn't want to have to dismantle the living room furniture every night to make a bedroom. Sure, we have a bit of the box out back that only gets used at night, but it's sure convenient.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks, and welcome to IRV2! Sure glad you joined the bunch! Can't help on your decision but I bet you would get more answers if you post your question over in the General Discussion area. Good luck, Merry Christmas, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #10

Welcome. If you are going to rent houses, I would go with the B which is plenty large enough to travel in and be comfortable, while saving a lot of $$$...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to forum dpotts. All I can say about your dilemma is that the only reason I own a 40' rig is because I can't afford a 45'. Go with whatever the one in which your wife is most comfortable traveling and living.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #12

All I can add is my Essex is so comfortable and a breeze to drive. Only time you might think about size is when you are getting close to where your going. But I rather have maybe 15 minutes of tight manuvering than 5 hrs of getting beat to death driving down the highway. Drive the Essex and you won't go smaller. You might find a good '06 for that '04 price.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote