Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
Thank you Monaco Mama,

As a matter of fact, we are going to look at a Monaco Diplomat. It seems like a nice unit. The problem we have is trying to get a unit at a fair price. So many people want an arm and a leg for their used units because they don't think they should depreciate. Little do they know when they drive off the lot, the unit has already decreased in value to where they are already behind in their payments. Too bad the dealers are always the ones to make the money and we have to end up paying all the time.

You know what I mean. Hopefully, we can find a nice unit and buy it reasonably from a couple who really wants to sell theirs.

Roxanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #16
Dear Bkorne,

National has had a bad reputation from way back. We were told to stay away from them. That is what is so great about getting help before you buy. I can't thank people enough for sharing their experiences.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Roxanne, there are a lot of good used unit out there. You just need to be patient and you will find one.

The problem a lot of the people have selling a used unit is they are upside down on the unit and expect to get every penny they can out of the unit. The NADA Guide site does not help, as they tend to be over priced. The real market price on used RV's seems to be NADA Low Retail and no options accounted for.

So just keep shopping and one will show up. Good clean units that are priced reasonable go fast, so you will need to make a decision on it when you find it. It would pay to make the sale contingent on an inspection by an independent RV technician and a engine/chassis shop for the chassis on the coach. You will probably spend a couple hundred for each inspection, but you need to know what the condition of all of the components.

Have fun shopping.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #18
Dear Ken,

Thanks for the information. We are going to look at a Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH this Saturday. Areally nice man owns it and he is the original owner. We are going to meet him at the dealership that does all his service work. I thought that was so nice of him to meet with us there. He said we can get all his service records from them since he used them right from the beginning. He is the original owner. He also said we could ask any questions about the unit from the dealer, too. The unit looked really nice from the pictures. We weren't sure if we should go with the Phaeton or the Allegro Bus. Do you or anyone know which would be the better route to go? Is the Phaeton still a nice unit? I know the Allegro Bus is nicer but is it that much nicer?

We were torn between the Monaco Diplomat and the Tiffin. Not sure which one is better.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 PM   #19
We have friends, a very nice couple, who retired recently and are now RVing in a MH. They are seriously considering a smaller MH (I think theirs is a 37') because they are having a hard time getting into Nat'l Forest campgrounds, which they like.
I would also like to comment that my DW and I took about a year before we finally bought an RV. I have to say that the unit we bought is a lot different from what we liked initially when we started looking. A good experienced friend came with us to check out the unit we liked, helped to look for problematic spots and approved our decision to buy a higher end used RV rather than lower end new one in the price range we were happy with.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck! We were near crazy from the dazzling variety of RVs on the market.

TV: 1998.5 Ram 2500 CTD
PaulDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:37 AM   #20
Dear P,

Thank you so much for your reply. We finally bit the bullet and got a 2007 Monaco Diplomat 38PDQ from a private party. It was the deal of the century. We got it for much less than what any dealer would have sold it to us for. The owner even passed on to us his 7 year 50,000 miles warranty and his 5 year tire warranty. We even have the original manufacturer's warranty, too. He through in a beautiful grill and gave us his blue ox tow hitch. We couldn't have asked for more. It does pay to wait and find someone who needs to sell. There are literally thousands of motor homes out there for sale and if people want to sell them, there will be people out there to buy them. Most people think they will get return on their money when they sell these units. You never make any money buying RV's. They are not investment instruments. You have to figure the money you pay for them is time spent having fun. When you are done, you lick your wounds and find another vehicle to have fun with. If people want money back, they need to bank it (as if you even make money there) or invest in property, etc.

I feel the time is now to enjoy. Every day the fuel prices go up, taxes go up, rates for things go up, food goes up. But, for some reason, my income stays the same. Now, go figure (LOL). As I always say, if you don't go first class now, your kids will.

We must have searched hundreds of vehicles and drove to see many of them out of state. We even stooped to try and bargain at the dealerships which was a waste. But, it all works out in the end. With so many units out there, and soaring fuel prices, it is definitely a buyers market and wholesale is the word.

Thanks so much,

Old 11-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #21
Well alot of good responses here, However first is your budget..them find the best for your money. Thes chassis and power train DOES make all the difference as it is the heart and sole of the coach. Foretravel, Country coach, Alpine and Monaco are on custom chassis. Being built right makes everything work the way it should from driving to handling stopping, etc. National RV Products are a great Coach from entry to mid line coach. If you have any questions I can furter answer please don't hesitate to pm me Good Luck Ron
RVRONINPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #22
Thanks everyone for your help. My husband and I did get a 2007 Monaco Diplomat. We like the custom chassis and the fact we bought it at a good price from a private party. Hope we can afford to run it with the fuel prices skyrocketing. But, if nothing else, we can stay close to home and go up in the mountains in the summer months.

Thanks so much.