Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2018, 05:42 AM   #1

Hi all, new "stressed out" member here.

I have used a TT for 6 years and decided to step up to a class A motorhome.

It's a means to an end. I didn't exactly purchase for leisure, but more so I could visit my kids living in other states while also bringing my small dogs. I've tried other options for travel and find that motoring suits me best.

So the new/used motorhome is a used 2015 25ft Winnebago Itasca Reyo. Buying used from a dealership and it's got me all stressed out. First the dealer is requiring me to pay a $2100 MANDATORY inspection of the vehicle they are selling. It covers a standard inspection, repairs, and they charge marina prices to fill gas tank and propane.

The inspection is portrayed as an option in the dealership and even shows that it's on sale right now for $1000 off. The RV dealer is a large one so I don't think they are scammers beyond the typical used vehicle salespeople that lie about everything till they sell.

Now to be accurate, they claim the motorhome is being sold on consignment.

I am having my own inspector check the rig (part of the extended warranty I purchased).

I am expecting to close this Friday and would really like to know if their inspection is standard fare for RV owners buying used from a dealer?
Rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2018, 05:48 AM   #2

Why would you have to pay to inspect their vehicle?? Makes no sense to me

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:50 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum.

I'd say that any dealer is going to charge you for anything that you're willing to pay for.

Negotiate your best price AFTER YOUR inspector has provide you with a report and recommendations.

DO NOT become emotionally involved. You'll have a substantial non-refundable financial interest in the motorhome already (the inspection). HOWEVER - Be prepared to walk away.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:56 AM   #4

You don’t have to buy from them, you especially don’t have to buy fuel from them. Surely there is enough fuel in it to get you to the first station that sell diesel. Most camp grounds can fill your propane tank. You are wise to have your own guy inspect the vehicle on your own dime. If there are any repairs that need doing, you can decide to do some repairs yourself or have your guy do them after the sale, or demand they be fixed as part of the sale. They can say NO and you can say goodbye. You should not get stressed over this. There are too many RV’s for sale out there.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. You are joining a good group of folks here.
I would be very wary about this dealer. My understanding is he is charging you a fee for a "mandatory" inspection done by their inspector? If this is the case I would walk at this point. There are tons or very good RVs out there for sale. Don't get attached to this one.
And yes hare YOUR inspector go over any rig you are condidering.
Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You pay them for an inspection that you most likely should not trust???? If it were me I’d opt for a different deal and dealer this one just does not sound right.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Look elsewhere, if you have to. Avoid becoming emotionally attached and making bad financial decisions.

They are charging you for inspection and repairs that they haven't discovered yet if needed, and what it would cost to fix. This is just another way for them to put money in their pocket.

You're getting it professionally inspected yourself from an impartial 3rd party, you don't need their biased inspection. From what your inspection finds wrong, you can then decide at what final price you'd like to offer them to buy it. If you don't come to an agreement to the final price, then you walk and it's cost you the price of inspection. It's no different than buying a house.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #8

The MH does not belong to the dealership so you are not buying it from them. This is a consignment sale meaning the dealership has agreed to try and sell it for the owner for a fee. Kinda like a real estate transaction. Apparently the owner doesn't want to pay for any inspections which I can see why. I suspect the mandatory inspection is for the dealership's legal protection. As for why there's a discrepancy in the inspection fees you need to ask them.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #9

A quick look shows 2015 models selling from around $75K-$95K. A dealer will want to make at least 10% commission from seller in addition to the extra fees he's wanting you to pay for.

You have a TON of choices in that price range. Keep looking and find a FSBO where you can talk to the owner and learn how much he took care of it.

Finding/buying an RV should not include stress...even a little bit.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds to me like the dealer is charging for what he thinks you will pay. On a consignment sale you are buying as is. His logic of getting his inspection done will inevitably lead to his making the repairs. I'm sure you have enough fuel to get to a service station. Pass on his offer to fill both diesel and propane.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't walk, RUN! There are plenty of deals out there!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:50 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Some dealerships add this fee. It is a way to make more profit. It is usually not discussed until you negotiate your best price and it will all of a sudden be added to the selling price. They will also justify it as being needed to make sure there no issues upon delivery. Ask them what is covered once you drive off the lot. If they promise you anything based on the inspection get it in writing. You are actually buying from a third party, not the dealer. This may change how the dealer deals with any issues you find compared to a unit owned by the dealership.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #13

Hi, Thanks all for the replies.

What they said is they inspect and fix any problems b4 it goes out the door. It's weird to be sure, but I did negotiate down another 5k because of it. So it's paid for in a price reduction. However it grinds me about the extras namely the propane and diesel. I got a really good deal if I actually go through with it.

I was really curious if anybody else experienced this. I told them I didn't want to pay for it but they said it's mandatory on a used vehicle. For all I know, the original owner has paid the same fee just to sell it on consignment.
Rockbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Mandatory shmanditory. Tell them you found another and have decided to buy from another dealer. It’s a gimmick. Odds are the salesman gets 50% of every extra dollar they can get from you.

But really, find another RV at another dealer or for sale by owner on RVT.com.

Oh and... tell them it’s mandatory that you not pay their silly inspection fee.