Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 01:35 AM   #1

Smile Hi Everyone

Hello everyone,
thank you all so much for accepting me to this little group.

First my name is Paul Newman (yep, just like the actor, not related of course)
my Wife's name is Kim. We currently own a 2000 Airstream Land Yacht 31 footer! We affectionately call her Fancy Freda. We've been dabbling in the RV world for 3 years, but we are still getting are feet wet on the whole Motor Home thing.
Freda has 75,000 miles on her and we feel like she's starting to get a tad tired.
I know that Airstream doesn't make Class A's anymore and finding parts is getting harder and harder. So Ive come across a 2006 Itasca Sunova with 17,000 miles and looks like its only been parked its entire life. The question that I for all of you knowledgable people is
1. How good are these RVs?
2 Any issues that I should be made aware of?
3 is 39500.00 a good price and if not, what would be a non offending opening offer?

Any and all info is deeply appreciated

thanks and good night

Paul & Kim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Paul & Kim! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I don't know anything about that RV!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Paul and Kim,

Welcome to the Forum! We purchased a 2004 Itasca 15 months ago so I wanted to give you a bit of info. First of all, we love our rig. They were well made and I expect to get a lot of use out of it when I retire in 10 months.

I am assuming this is a gasser like ours. Ours had 18,462 miles on it. Just over 22,000 now. Our rig had been in California and Texas. We took it home to MI. We had some dry vacuum hoses that we had to replace, needed deoxidized badly, and some things that we were willing to take on and take care of because we got a good deal.

Is the rig in good condition, was it stored inside or outside. More wear if stored outside. What state has it been in? HOW OLD ARE THE TIRES??????? Big question this one. If you need to replace them then they are asking too much. New tires will be around $3,000 for that rig. Nothing over 7 yrs old. If they are 4 to 6 yrs old than plan on that cost off the price.

If everything looks good, have them plug it into the water supply. Are there any leaks? Go through every cupboard: any mice droppings (mice can damage your wiring) and wet spots or stains or mold? DO NOT BUY A RIG WITH A LEAKY ROOF EVER.

Have them show you the generator is working, the house batteries what age are they? Do the levelers work? Sometimes they leak, can you see any leaks. Look them over carefully. Have them show you where the leveler transmission fill is and that the level is correct. Our PO had let this go way down because they couldn't find the tank to fill.

Does the fridge work, the stove or oven, the lights and outlets, all of them. Are there any bubbles in the outside walls, look carefully this can be a big issue with any brand of rig. How about the grey and black tanks, are they working well, any leaks around the toilet or sinks.

I think you get the idea. Take your time. I think I would offer them $35,000 providing everything is working and tires are ok. They are nice rigs and I think you would be happy with it.

Either way, feel free to contact me through PM and we can discuss these rigs privately. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #4

2006 Sunova

Hi Lynne,

Wow, you mentioned some really good things to check on :-)
This particular model is the 29R its on the Ford Chassis and it has 2 slides. 1) main room slide and 1) bedroom slide out (both on the drivers side)

Ive went thru and ran the rig, took it on a 15 mile freeway test drive, brought the slides in and out and checked the rubber seals. The levelers worked great (I ran them on auto level a few times each while doing the all retract and starting over. didnt find any leaks or operational issues. (granted it was as the dealership)
Rant the Generator and put the heating and AC thru its paces for 20 minutes or so. The only I haven't done was hook up to the water and test the city water hookups and then run the water pumps or water heaters or test the gas stove/oven.
this model has the power awning which worked when I put it out. (I think the rig was bought with great intentions, but just never got used.) the interior is almost like new. the front seats a all cloth and don't show any sun fade and the couch matches the front seats. It looks like its never been sat on, cause the springs and material is super stiff. The dinet looks good, its got the fold down front seat back (I think its so the passenger can recline the seat and stuff)
I did notice that someone removed the front window shade cover tie backs and also the sun visors that mount on the ceiling. working my way back someones removed the smoke detectors and wall clock that I think mounts above the main door. Bathroom and showers look good (Haven't check the faucets or toilet tho) master bed room looks good, has the original tv back there and a upgraded memory foam mattress cover. Theres a single engine for the rear slide which I was able to check out via under the bed in the storage compartment. all the lights worked as they should as well as the 2 fantastic fans.
Now onto the exterior:
some of the outer storage compartment doors need to be adjusted, and some of the hydraulic arms need to be replaced (nothing to big :-)) The exterior stickers are starting to curl up on the edges (I think I can trim it down) theres some sun fading on the sides and stuff (hopefully nothing a good detail can't buff out) the slide out covers are ripping on the front ends (probably from just being extended for the past few months at the dealership) I did notice some rust on the bottom of the hot water heater metal cover and stuff. (not a lot, but still noticeable) tires look good, the dates look like they are 6 years old, but don't show any cracking and stuff
When I climbed up on the roof I noticed that its got 2 100 watt solar panels and the seals looked good.
Sadly the dealership doesn't have any of the books for the unit. I was told that winnebago has on there website the downloadable books.

Overall the rig runs great and looks good minus the sun fading and slightly curled stickers such...

I went on NADA and pulled up the cost, and without putting the mileage it comes out at 36,050.00 for average retail and when I add the 17,000 miles it bumps it up 22% which puts it at 43,550.00
They want 43,700.00 out the door. which is 39900 plus tax and registration and smog and stuff. I was thinking about offering 40,000.00 out the door which puts it at 36900.00?? Whats your thoughts on this? now that I listed all these things maybe I should offer 38K out the door

Paul & Kim
Old 10-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Paul and Kim,

Books can definitely be downloaded from Winnebago. Take a look, enter the rigs info, and you'll find all you need.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/product-...ct-information

I would not put an offer in on it unless they hook up the water and prove it is not leaking anywhere. Take your time and go over it carefully.

Tires may look good but you will be putting out $3,000 within two years to replace them or take the chance of them blowing while going down the road. They may look good but the rot does not always show. It is you life at risk and not worth it so consider these tires at end of life so they don't end your life.

You probably have around another $2,000 in repairs replacements on the inside, maybe more with awnings. Where are you located? Will you be financing or paying cash. Do you have the money to do tires and repairs or will you be financing that too? Some of this will change what you offer.

Here is my feelings and I am no expert. Just my first MH and little bit of experience. I have also looked at hundreds of rigs before we bought this one.

Financing / financing repairs: $37,000. +tax
Paying cash paying repairs tires: $37,000 + tax

You can always go up but not back down. Start at $36,000 + tax and other costs. Have a set amount you will go up to and no higher. Have that amount in your head. If you are snug financially and it really doesn't matter than you can go up a bit more. If not, then be firm. They want to sell as badly as you want to buy.

BE READY TO WALK OUT THE DOOR WITHOUT THE RIG

If they won't come down, then say "This is what I am willing to pay, you have my number and I will keep looking. Thank you very much." and leave! You take a risk of loosing the rig but you have to know what you are going to pay and not be talked into more. It is a game to them, beat them at their game. Whatever you do, do not go back or call them, let them call you.

There are plenty of rigs out there. The floor plan of this one may work for you but they are for sale everywhere. We drove to Texas to buy ours. Look at PPL Motorhomes out of Texas just to compare price and rigs. It is a great tool.

Keep looking even though you think this is the one. When you walk inside the right one you will know it. If this is it then think carefully about what the two of you are willing to pay and stick to that.

Best of luck, Lynne
Old 10-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Paul,

Sorry I forgot. The decals. Mine were also coming loose, peeling up at edges. I took a razor scraper and scraped off the peeling parts. It looked much better with that done. I have a link to how to repaint these that I found here. If you buy the rig I will get that for you.

The decals peeling is something that just happens to these rigs. As I said, I deoxidized mine and then waxed it and it just shines beautifully. Some things you can fix right away, others later, you have to decide what works best for you and what you are willing to work on or not.

These things are a blast but often need work and upkeep just like your house. I think you will do fine and find the right rig, this may be it. We love our Winnebago.

Lynne