Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #1

Hi From Eastern Long Island!

Hi everyone!
My family and I are die hard campers. My husband, myself, our 4 kids (ages 14, 12, 10 and 5) and 2 of our 3 dogs have camped in tents, then our popup for the past 4 years. (My 3rd dog is miserable while camping-it may be the lack of air conditioning since she is a long haired shepherd.)

We have mostly camped on the Island, and mostly at beach campgrounds-we love the beach, and not being self contained has limited us as far as where we can go!

We are now looking to upgrade to a trailer, and yesterday we looked at my DREAM trailer-a Jayco Eagle super lite 304BHK. Room for all the kids, mom and dad, and room left for rainy days of indoor games and tv. The one we looked at has all the bells and whistles, and while I don't need all of those things, My goodness they are NICE. (Like the outside kitchen with a fridge!) the storage is incredible, and the salesman tells me my suburban can actually pull this thing!

I look forward to hanging out with you guys and learning lot's!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers

Old 04-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forums! Glad you're here!!
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #4

Hi Coleman...I live on LI too. We are not the rv meca of the US, are we?
I am the opposite of you being we only started rving when we retired 3 years ago, knew nothing about it but jumped right into a motorhome!
We were crazy..but loved it and still do!
Do you camp at Smiths Point?
Good luck if you decide to get your new camper..it sounds great!
Happy travels!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #5

Hello Lawng Ahland!
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome.
Check out the Wicked Good 2011 Northeast Spring Rally Thread or see the list of upcoming rallies on the home page.
Would be a great time to meet some folks and see some units. FYI, there is a RV Trailer dealer right next door to the campground.
See you then!!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumar View Post
Hi Coleman...I live on LI too. We are not the rv meca of the US, are we?
I am the opposite of you being we only started rving when we retired 3 years ago, knew nothing about it but jumped right into a motorhome!
We were crazy..but loved it and still do!
Do you camp at Smiths Point?
Good luck if you decide to get your new camper..it sounds great!
Happy travels!
Hi Sumar! We do camp at Smiths Point-our reservation this year is the first week of August. I love it there, the ocean beach, and the deer that invade our campsite every year.
We've decided to go with a used camper, since we have kids and dogs that will make short work of making it look lived in....

Do you go out to Montauk or East Hampton? I'm figuring on a week at Cedar Point, and maybe a few days at Theodore Roosevelt park. We also love Indian Island in Riverhead-we catch our own blue claws and mussels for dinner! The water is clean and calm, and I don't have to worry about waves or rip currants!

Have a great summer!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #8

Hi Coleman, glad you made your decision and are enjoying it. We have never camped at montauk, cedar or Indian point. The county parks don't allow dogs do they? That would inhibit us from going. Does Indian point?
Enjoy all your travels, and great time together,
Sue
Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
Welcome Coleman.......we are also on Long Island ( south shore )......fairly new to RV'ing ( on land ) ....but have been boaters for 25+ years. We recently purchased our D/P.....and plan to go fulltime in Septemberish of 2012......Im already retired and just waiting for the wife to follow. We have already started our " selloff ".......can't wait to get going.....

Have you done Cedar Beach camping ?....that was a regular for us with the boat.

Good luck with the Jayco.....hope your dreams come true.

Safe travels...........
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumar View Post
Hi Coleman, glad you made your decision and are enjoying it. We have never camped at montauk, cedar or Indian point. The county parks don't allow dogs do they? That would inhibit us from going. Does Indian point?
Enjoy all your travels, and great time together,
Sue
The county park DO allow dogs. Mine come with me everywhere. The State parks, like wildwood do not allow dogs.

Of course they have a 2 dog limit, and we have 3, so the Maltese (who doesn't count as a dog, any old way) stays inside most of the time, or gets carried out to potty then hangs out in a chair.

Indian Island is really great-you should try it. They have rv sites, but we like the no hook up ones near the water.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by don-deb View Post
Welcome Coleman.......we are also on Long Island ( south shore )......fairly new to RV'ing ( on land ) ....but have been boaters for 25+ years. We own a 35' class A d/p.....and plan to go fulltime in Septemberish of 2012. We have already started our " selloff ".......can't wait

Have you done Cedar Beach camping ?....that was a regular for us with the boat.

Good luck with the Jayco.....hope your dreams come true.

Safe travels...........
We go to Cedar Point, once as a family,then my husband goes with the kids and his firehouse. (4 day break for mommy!)
We actually decided on a used TT, it's a Keystone sprinter-303BHS-sleeps 9-10, it's almost exactly the same as the Jayco, but much cheaper and we don't have to worry about all the new stuff.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
Great........Cedar Point is on the north fork ????......not sure where that is. The Cedar Beach I mentioned is on Ocean Parkway....between Gilgo and OBI. It has a campground and a Marina. NICE place.

Where are you shopping for the Jayco ? ....on Long Island ?

We had to travel to Florida ( Lazydays R/V ) to find what we wanted. We need more RV dealers on the Island !!!!! :(

Enjoy............
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Go ahead and get the one with all the bells and whistles, you might not think you need them, but you might be surprised by how much they come in handy once you have them and start using them. Many happy and safe miles.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #14

Coleman....I think we definately try Indian Point..is there an overpass on one of the roads leading to it, that might be too low for a motorhome?

Don-Deb..where on the south shore are you from? I am in Amityville.
Do you go on the Tiffin board? we have a 32 Breeze on order now. Starting production the end of May.