Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #1

Hi from "newbie-to-be"

Hello all,
I'm not even an RVer yet, but there's a good possibility I'll be buying a 1990 Mallard Sprinter Class A soon. My monthly (fixed) income is under $1500, and I have practically nothing in the bank--but I'm determined (God willing) to give FT RV living a try.

I'm not a total stranger to the outdoors; traveled through almost every state east of the Mississippi with my family (parents) in a pop-up, and have done a fair amount of tent camping on my own as an adult. Obviously, though, this will be a whole new experience!

I'll be doing a lot of reading (and probably not a whole lot of posting) at first, because I have a lot to learn. It's just me and my 2 cats, so I'm hoping to find some Rving friends as well as advice along the way.

Please tell me: am I crazy to even be considering this? Or is it true, "where there's a will, there's a way"?
Thanks and happy to meet you!

karhorn61
Save
Save
karhorn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

If you think you can, you can! Go for it!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #3

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by karhorn61 View Post
Hello all,
I'm not even an RVer yet, but there's a good possibility I'll be buying a 1990 Mallard Sprinter Class A soon. My monthly (fixed) income is under $1500, and I have practically nothing in the bank--but I'm determined (God willing) to give FT RV living a try.

I'm not a total stranger to the outdoors; traveled through almost every state east of the Mississippi with my family (parents) in a pop-up, and have done a fair amount of tent camping on my own as an adult. Obviously, though, this will be a whole new experience!

I'll be doing a lot of reading (and probably not a whole lot of posting) at first, because I have a lot to learn. It's just me and my 2 cats, so I'm hoping to find some Rving friends as well as advice along the way.

Please tell me: am I crazy to even be considering this? Or is it true, "where there's a will, there's a way"?
Thanks and happy to meet you!

karhorn61
Save
Save
Karhorn61,
You're not any crazier than most and your income will be just fine depending on monthly bills. I was a couple of years younger than you when I went fulltime in a Class C. Make sure the tires on that A are fairly new as most replace them at 5 years.

Campgrounds are pretty expensive where you are. Check their monthly rates. If your're considering wintering in Ohio, it is cold but doable. I spent 2 in the area. There used to be a year round KOA outside of Canton. The only other year round I've seen in the area is in Lodi/Chippewa. Trust me, you DON"T want to go there. Most campgrounds are very expensive north of, say... Nashville. The owners only want to work half a year but feel entitled to a full years pay!

The cats are likely to be the only problem. You're pretty much limited to FHU campgrounds during the summer for them and for for your comfort in Ohio winters. Wintering up north without at least electricity is kind of rough. Everybody has their own camping style but I'd prefer an apartment to being packed in like a sardine in campgrounds forever.

Again don't fret the size of your income. Once you're on the road expenses can really go down. I'm happy as a pig in sh...the barnyard on less. There are a number of solo's floating around the area for practical advice. The internet can be OK for some general stuff but I learn most things by talking to real people with faces-not avatars.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe if you stay in one place 1500 isn't a ton of money with gas prices insurance health,and rv.
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangy dog View Post
Karhorn61,
You're not any crazier than most and your income will be just fine depending on monthly bills. I was a couple of years younger than you when I went fulltime in a Class C. Make sure the tires on that A are fairly new as most replace them at 5 years.

Campgrounds are pretty expensive where you are. Check their monthly rates. If your're considering wintering in Ohio, it is cold but doable. I spent 2 in the area. There used to be a year round KOA outside of Canton. The only other year round I've seen in the area is in Lodi/Chippewa. Trust me, you DON"T want to go there. Most campgrounds are very expensive north of, say... Nashville. The owners only want to work half a year but feel entitled to a full years pay!

The cats are likely to be the only problem. You're pretty much limited to FHU campgrounds during the summer for them and for for your comfort in Ohio winters. Wintering up north without at least electricity is kind of rough. Everybody has their own camping style but I'd prefer an apartment to being packed in like a sardine in campgrounds forever.

Again don't fret the size of your income. Once you're on the road expenses can really go down. I'm happy as a pig in sh...the barnyard on less. There are a number of solo's floating around the area for practical advice. The internet can be OK for some general stuff but I learn most things by talking to real people with faces-not avatars.

mangy dog
Mangy dog,
Thanks for the detailed response. Actually, one of the reasons I want to do this is to get away from Ohio's snowy winters and humid summers. (With enough blankets the cats & I can do a 50-degree night without heat; on the other end of the spectrum, I remember getting a bad sunburn in CA because 110 degr. felt like 75 to me without the humidity.) It's definitely scary trading the relative security of an apartment for the uncertainties that come with living on the road. I'm sure it will take a good bit of research, careful planning, and at least a touch of good luck. I do appreciate the info, though, because I definitely will be wanting to occasionally come back to visit friends & family in OH and PA. (Guess this is where friends with large driveways are doubly appreciated!) And yes, I will indeed be seeking out some flesh-and-blood brains to pick (ewww...not, you know, THAT way...gross! LOL)--especially as I hear web access can be touch-and-go at RV parks. Anyway, I'm grateful for your encouragement, particularly as it's laced with advice based on realistic concerns. Maybe someday we shall meet...til then, happy trails to you!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
Maybe if you stay in one place 1500 isn't a ton of money with gas prices insurance health,and rv.
Jarata,
Absolutely! My biggest concern is the cost of maintaining both a car and a motorhome, as well as the gas expense...hoping to offset that by doing some boondocking, and possibly workamping if I can find something within my capabilities. Right now I'm spending between $400-500 a month on rent & utilities; once in an RV that will have to be split between camping fees and building an emergency/repair fund. A lot depends on getting through the first year or two without any unexpected major expenses (vehicle repairs, hospitalization, etc.). Am definitely not looking at this like a constant vacation; plan on moving only 2-4 times and living very frugally until I have a better idea what my actual expenses will be. Anything I'm missing here? Thanks for your reply!

Tags