Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #15

That's really helpful. We are planning on checking out Cullum and Maxey and Camping world this weekend. There is also a place in Lebanon I want to swing by. Not heard of Bankston but glad of the recommendation. Will put that on the visitation list too. Hard thing will be not buying too quickly as we won't really need it until next year, but who knows!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #16

Just remember -- If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is !!!!!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #17

Bankston is a very small dealership just before you get to Cullum & Maxey. It sits in front of one of the campgrounds and actually stores some of their inventory in the campground. Their headquarters is in Alabama. So far, we love our new camper. Getting ready to head out...just not sure exactly where. :-) sometimes, we just pick a direction and see which way the wind blows. :-)

There is another place down I-24 past Murfreesboro. We went there, but they didn't really seem interested in helping us. They mostly had trailers with a few used units. It's really fun to shop and look and dream.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #18

Know exactly where Bankston is now. Planning to visit it and the other two this Saturday just to get a feel of what we might want. We almost went to that I-24 place you mentioned on Tuesday when we were in Murfreesboro, but couldn't see much class c inventory online so decided against it.

Sounds like a lot of fun to go where the wind blows you. Can't wait to be able to do that. Bon voyage.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Welcome. Have you considered renting an RV to get a "feel" for what one would be like to own?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
Welcome. Have you considered renting an RV to get a "feel" for what one would be like to own?
Great idea. I was thinking about class c, because I wasn't sure about being able to drive a class A, but if I don't try I won't know. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #21

Hey Caspian,

Another Tennesseean here, from the Eastern end of the state (Gatlinburg). That's home to us although we have lived full time in our motorhome for 6 years now.

You will be ahead of the game if you do some homework before you go out looking. You should really decide how, when and where you see yourselves using a motorhome. You are coming from a tenting background, as did I, so do you envision going to the same type places with generally no hookup or is this to be a move to more comfortable living with full hookups. You may want to do some of both. You choice of a vehicle should reflect your intended usage. There are a mind numbing array of choices. Here are some questions you should ponder before heading out with your checkbook.

1. Type of campgrounds.
2. What type of temperatures.
3. 30amp or 50amp power
4. Size of tanks; both fuel and holding
5. How long at a time do you plan to live in it.
6. Fuel required
7. Generator or not
8. Heating/ cooling requirements
9. Creature comfort level, basic or luxury for usually how many people
10. Budget

The above basic questions will open the door on a host of subordinate questions. You can drill down to as specific a level as you like or just get some basic ideas to explore. If you answer these questions then the size of unit and class A or C will become much more apparent.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #22

Hi Steve,

Thanks for those really helpful questions. Love Gatlinburg. My wife and I married there and we make at least one trip up there every year. Going to have to pick your brains on campsites in your area once we make a decision, although just in the fact finding stage at the moment.

The best question is budget. You've heard of the beer budget and champagne tastes!

I also never thought about the 30amp/50amp question, but a quick Google filled in the knowledge gap so thanks for mentioning that.

So much to think about, so many RV's and so many roads to drive down once we make the decision. Looking forward to the third part!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Good luck finding something. We went from a tt we had a long time ago to a recently purchased a class (35 ft) Had some reservations about something that size but after driving it some I was very comfortable and was glad I got an a class.(lot of room)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #24

Thanks for the welcome. If I get a class a, it will be white knuckle time for everyone on the road!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #25

We opted for a Class C because it seemed to meet our needs better. The Class C has air bags, some A's do not. The C has the overhead storage and they all have driver side doors. Getting in and out of the C seemed easier for us since we don't have to climb up steep stairs.

Ours is 31 foot long, so it's not tiny, but still small enough to fit in most campsites at state parks and small campgrounds. We have grown children, so that was not a consideration for us, but when our kids were small, we had a C back then because they slept more kids (we had four and usually carried a few friends).

The mileage is not that much different from an A. People who have A's rarely downsize to C's, but people who have C's seem to love them. :-)

Forest River has a new unit that they are calling a crossover. It's a small class A. We both felt comfortable with driving the C and loved the floor plan and storage, so this one was easy for us.

The hard part of our latest decision was actually whether to trade in the Sprinter Van camper. Ours was 21ft and had no slides. It got incredible (22) mpg and we could park it anywhere. We put about 75K miles on it and had great adventures. But, the comfort level was extremely lacking. It was great for driving, but not for "living".

DH retired last year and my job will be going part time in May and eliminated in September, so we are looking at more extended trips than just weekends and a couple of summer vacations. We couldn't figure out any way to add space to the van. The C is perfect for us.

Choosing a camper is like choosing a house. Where you want to park it is important, how many folks in your family makes a difference. So many variables...so many coaches to consider. There is not a right answer, but many that will be close. :-)
Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

It can't be that hard or confusing since I am able to do it
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
We opted for a Class C because it seemed to meet our needs better. The Class C has air bags, some A's do not. The C has the overhead storage and they all have driver side doors. Getting in and out of the C seemed easier for us since we don't have to climb up steep stairs.

Ours is 31 foot long, so it's not tiny, but still small enough to fit in most campsites at state parks and small campgrounds. The C is perfect for us.

Choosing a camper is like choosing a house. Where you want to park it is important, how many folks in your family makes a difference. So many variables...so many coaches to consider. There is not a right answer, but many that will be close. :-)
We're running over to Opry Mills area tomorrow, but only for reconnoissance. We are definitely thinking C so far and I like your choice of 31'. That should be just right if we want a little space.

Amazing that in such a short time and with thanks to this forum I am starting to learn what I might be leaning towards. Youtube is also a great source as well. I've seen a Jayco Greyhawk which so far is my ideal, but new, it is a little out of our budget, so it will be interesting to see what we come up with.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #28

We bought a 2011 that had only 3700 miles on it. It looks new, but the price was considerably less. The advantage of a late model used unit is that the prior owner would have had to deal with any warranty issues. So far, ours has been great.

The internet makes shopping for RV's much easier. The one thing I discovered is that you can't "smell test" them. I found a camper that I really liked at a huge consignment dealer in Louisiana. The price was incredible and it was exactly what we needed. We drove all the way down there and the thing smelled like a cat litter box. There was no way it could be disinfected. Too bad you can't capture and post smells online. :-)

Should be a nice day for shopping today. And, if you find something you can't resist, there are lots of great places to camp in Tennessee on the weekends.