Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs up Hi from the Redwood Region

Just became a member and wanted to introduce myself. We live behind the Redwood curtain in Humboldt county on the coast in Eureka, CA. We purchased a 2001 Dutch Star deisel pusher on a freightline chassis three years ago. Due to our remote location to repair facilities for our MH, I perform most of the repairs and maintenance. Thus joining an RV forum I hope to gain valuable information from the members on issues I may face or the ones I now face.

Kulgpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Hope to see you around a lot.
You'll find a lot of help, especially given vintage of your rig, other owners will have had a lot of the issues you will encounter.

Try adding a signature like mine below so that all your posts identify your rig by its pertinent data (Freightliner, Dutch Star (Newmar) 2001, probably ISC engine, and any performance or other pertinent mods that may help a reader gauge your needs and the background from which your comments & questions are framed). You'll get better feedback w/all that info reiterated each time. Then when you step up to a Marathon coach, remember to update your signature .

I lived behind the Rwd Curtain from '75 to ~'80, before moving to Chico where they had the novelty of women. I remember everybody w/their shirts off when the sun came out & it heated up to 58. I remember another time it heated up to 98 in Eureka, and the only guy at Sears who knew the whereabouts of the switch for the air conditioning was Raul in the stereo dept, as he'd been there since the 'mall' building was new. Good times at Ron's Roadhouse, bars on 2nd street, etc.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Welcome to a very good RV site; fairly new here myself. Know your area quite well as lived in Healdsburg from 1984 to 1996. Hwy 101 saw a lot of my tire tracks going up to Brookings, OR to fish the Chetco, Smith, etc.

Stayed at the same place so often the RV park Mgr just asked me one day 'Why don't you just leave it here? Only cost you $30.00 month for storrage and $5.00/day when in use.'

His idea of 'storage' was just leave it in one of the pads, plugged in and good to go. We'd call up before we were on our way, neighbor would go over and turn everything on and even in January everything was toastie and warm/good to go when we got there.

That was one of the last times the 5th wheel ever saw the Hwy.

My extra 'toss in,' if you wanted to call it that, is I'd take the Mgr/Sig-O out to dinner anyplace they'd like during the trip. Interesting part was, save for a couple of times, the places we went were small 'locals' with truly excellent food. The major 'This is THE place's' food was so-so at best.

Little fish and chips place just up from the harbor?

Don and Mary Lou; FABULOUS PEOPLE and even in December/January (winter steelhead fishing) the place was packed. And it was/is one heck of a big RV park. Several of the 'regulars' were Canadian's who came down for months at a time. Club house? Placed was packed every evening as almost every evening was a pot luck.

Things cleared off and out came the 'cards.' 'Penny anti poker,' max raise 25 cents. Bingo with cards that had a deck of cards rather than numbers. Shuffle the deck and a card was turned up. Have it, down goes a penny over the card. Someone yelled BINGO and we all shoveled our card/pennies over. On a realllllly bad night you might loose $2.00. But you'd played for four but went home to bed still laughing so hard your chest hurt.

Old fellow who owned the thing died and his Daughter took over. First to go was Don and ML ..... I used to take my MH over there for all of December/January for fishing (that went to $350/month + power reading**) .... and the reception was as cold as an bath in ice water. RV park now? In the winter you could fire 155mm shells into this place and not hit anything.

In the summer, apparently they do quite well.

** Power readings always had me doing a 'Say What?' Then I had a 2,800 square two story home in Ashland ... and I never even got close to the number I was charged at the RV park.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Welcome from BC.

We may get down to Redwood Forest in August. Depends how much time Oregon uses up.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome!
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the info on providing info. Still learning the ins and outs of the forum pages and what each item, window, icon, etc. means and how to use them. Saw the Quick option at bottom of Engineermike's reply and tried it. Hope it works the way I think it should work!

Also it's nice to see other members reply and the gracious remarks to a new member.
Kulgpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Kulgpa, welcome to IRV2. Hope you enjoy your time here and out camping in your RV. Safe travels.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!!!

We just love your neck of the woods. Spent a lot of time there in our coach and will certainly be going back. Then again I'm a SF native who finally cut his ties with California in 2009 to go full time.... so I need my Cali fix every year!

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome Hope you enjoy the group as much as we do! I am sure you will learn a lot here as we have. Enjoy!

Colleen & Hunter
Ret. AF & RVM77
45' 2001 Monaco Signature
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote