Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #15

Alaska

Hi Goneagain4, If you want our itinerary will be glad to email you one. Hope to see you there. We don't have room for a 4wheeler this trip but it sounds like fun.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #16

Hello, we are also new to the site, and an Alaskan adventure. We plan on hitting the Canadian border through Montana, or the Idaho panhandle around the middle of May, and arriving in Fairbanks around the first week in June. We will be camping on a friends property in Northpole, staying the whole summer fishing and bowhunting, then heading south on the first of October.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have often thought about driving to Alaska in my RV. However, I keep hearing about the terrible roads! In fact, I just read an article called "RVing with Len". He talks about the terrible, dusty conditions on the graveled highway, from Dawson Creek (Canada) all the way to AK. He said that most of the time, visibility was 100 feet or less, (due to the dusty conditions), in all directions. He also said that the road was so rough, that it broke the shackles on his springs and he had to search for someone to do some welding, which in itself, was an ordeal.

My question is...have you checked on the highway conditions? Others I have spoken to said that the road(s) are paved all the way and are not bad at all??? So which is it? Not knowing or wanting to travel terribly unpaved highways, keeps me from even considering such a trip.

Roland
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #18

Road conditions

Hello Gripper, We have made the trip twice, once in '06 and again last year. Most of the road is paved, there were a few sections that are not, but, most of them were in very good shape. The stretch from Haines Junction, Yukon is paved but you need to watch for the frost heaves. There are sections of the paved road, you only want to go 45MPH at the most, and keep an eye out for the flags indicating the heaves. Brake to 20 or less when going over a frost heave. Remember, they are usually working on the Hwy somewhere so you may run into construction, don't be in a hurry. The trip is definately worth it, we will go again. Our first two trips were in a 30ft 5th wheel. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions..
Old 04-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #19

Hi gone again, we just returned to Cheyenne from Tucson. We bought a home there and now are slipping and sliding toward May 28th when we begin our Alaska adventure. We have a brownish adventurer 35L pulling a brownish CRV. We go from Cheyenne to Billings, Waterton Lakes, Banff, Jasper, Prince George, Dawson Creek, Ft Nelson, Muncho Lake, Lliard HS, Nugget City, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Atlin, Tok, Valdez, Seward, Coopers Landing, Homer, Palmer, Talkeetna, Denali, Fairbanks, Haines, Skagway, Cassiar Highway, Smithers, Edmonton.....etc etc...If anyone sees us please stop and say hello, perhaps a glass of wine, coffee or whatever. The motorhome and CRV have Montana plates and look for the Window sign from Cheyenne and Max (head of motorhome security) our Malte-Poo.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #20

Hello MDWY, I see from your itinerary that you are using the Cassiar Hwy for your return. Great choice! If you have time, make sure you spend a couple of days in Stewart BC/Hyder AK. There is a wonderful bear viewing area there in the National Forest. This is run by the NFS. It does have a small daily fee, but is covered by your NP Pass if you have one. Really a great place to observe bears, Grizzly and Black from an elevated boardwalk, as they catch salmon in the creek. There are CG's in Stewart and one or two in Hyder. Safe Travels...............
Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #21

Hi mdwy!
Hope to see you and some others along the way. My plan is to be in Montana during May and leave for AK about June 10 or so. No real plan in AK so far but fishing in Homer several days and a week or so in Denali are on the books. I have a neighbor here in Florida who owns a cabin in AK so I hope to look it up and stay there a few days. I'll be getting up with him this week so he can help me plan my trip better.
I'll be traveling with my daughter in a 39' Presidio with Montana plates also, pulling a green Tundra. Stay in touch and we will try to meet up somewhere along the way for the wine, coffee, or whatever!
Old 04-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #22

We are planning 2 days in Stewart; We will post now and then during trip and update our journey.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
want to take it slow and easy going up and back so that we can see more than just Alaska. We plan on returning September 15th. We will be driving our Itasca Suncruiser 38J and towing a Suzuki Grand Vitara.
definitely post some pics of stops along the way... I'ld like to take a trip like that, maybe in five or six years.. no where near retirement, so can only dream and plan at this point. Hope you have a great trip.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
want to take it slow and easy going up and back so that we can see more than just Alaska. We plan on returning September 15th. We will be driving our Itasca Suncruiser 38J and towing a Suzuki Grand Vitara.
definitely post some pics of stops along the way... I'ld like to take a trip like that, maybe in five or six years.. no where near retirement, so can only dream and plan at this point. Hope you have a great trip.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
We made the trip to Alaska 2009 during August and September. We had a ball. Hyder is a great place to get bear shots... I shot almost 800 photos in about an hour... Check some of them out at: Day 28, September 13, 2009 - ronniesphotos' Photos

The rest of the photos are at: http://www.ronniesphotos.com/RV-Vacations/Alaska-2009 along with a brief discription of each few days.

We are headed to the eastern area of Canada this year.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
I have often thought about driving to Alaska in my RV. However, I keep hearing about the terrible roads! In fact, I just read an article called "RVing with Len". He talks about the terrible, dusty conditions on the graveled highway, from Dawson Creek (Canada) all the way to AK. He said that most of the time, visibility was 100 feet or less, (due to the dusty conditions), in all directions. He also said that the road was so rough, that it broke the shackles on his springs and he had to search for someone to do some welding, which in itself, was an ordeal.

My question is...have you checked on the highway conditions? Others I have spoken to said that the road(s) are paved all the way and are not bad at all??? So which is it? Not knowing or wanting to travel terribly unpaved highways, keeps me from even considering such a trip.

Roland
We've been up for three full summers out of the last four. You'll be happy to know that the roads are very good. Alaska roads are excellent, well paved, and generally kept in good shape. From the border south through Beaver Creek is the worse road you'll find. From there south the Canadians keep the road fairly well as they have to use it too. The road is paved in all areas except where they are working on it. North of Whitehorse, YT, you'll start picking up the frost heaves. Most will be marked with flags or cones, but use caution. Use the whole road, traffic permitting, to avoid the worst, and SLOW DOWN. On the loose gravel areas, SLOW DOWN and keep far to the right. We left DE in mid May, and still found lakes fully or partially frozen going up, but temps were above to well above freezing. That early most of the road houses were still closed, but fuel, water and dumps are available in the towns, so drive the top of the gas tank and you'll see no issues. We fished King, Red, Pink and Silver Salmon as well as Halibut and had a ball.

Road conditions can be checked at Alaska 511 - Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska. and Current Road Conditions - Highways and Public Works - Government of Yukon

John
Old 04-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwy View Post
Hi gone again, we just returned to Cheyenne from Tucson. We bought a home there and now are slipping and sliding toward May 28th when we begin our Alaska adventure. We have a brownish adventurer 35L pulling a brownish CRV. We go from Cheyenne to Billings, Waterton Lakes, Banff, Jasper, Prince George, Dawson Creek, Ft Nelson, Muncho Lake, Lliard HS, Nugget City, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Atlin, Tok, Valdez, Seward, Coopers Landing, Homer, Palmer, Talkeetna, Denali, Fairbanks, Haines, Skagway, Cassiar Highway, Smithers, Edmonton.....etc etc...If anyone sees us please stop and say hello, perhaps a glass of wine, coffee or whatever. The motorhome and CRV have Montana plates and look for the Window sign from Cheyenne and Max (head of motorhome security) our Malte-Poo.
mdwy,

Our departure date for Alaska is two weeks from today, May 1st. We are moving there as we can no longer afford to live in CA without a well paying job. Been unemployed since January 09 so it's off to Alaska to set up our domicile using my sons address. We don't have a real specific itinerary other than we plan to stop at the Cummins shop in Eugene OR to have the ECM flashed with the Latching Mode so I can have the engine brake on and still use the cruise control. Also plan to stop, shop and visit the wonderful people at Northwest RV Supply where I have purchased a ton of RV stuff this past year.

Once we get to Alaska, we plan to stay for two months in Eagle River just North of Anchorage up the Parks Highway visiting my oldest son and grandchildren. Our coach will be parked at the Homestead Elementary School for those two months just a few blocks from my sons house on Meadow Creek Drive. We will be the summertime security & vandalism patrol for the Anchorage School District during that time. Then the middle of July we are heading for Denali NP to spend two days and two nights. Then off to Fairbanks on July 22 to stay at Riverview RV Park on Badger Rd. in North Pole for 2 months while visiting my younger son who owns PRO Music store on Front Street over looking the Chena River.

About the middle of September, we will be heading down the road to get the heck out of the cold weather. Will end up in Fernley NV, working for Amazon.com for three months finishing at the end of December. Then with your home on wheels, the choices are endless.

We have a Monaco Windsor PBT with Alaskan plates (R HOME) and towing a 26 foot white Pace cargo trailer with Alaskan Plates (R JUNK). If you see us please stop to say hello and you are always welcome to stay for a beverage or two.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #28

Smile Alaska 2010

Nice bear photos textnet. Thanks for the useful info pigman. Dr4film hope to see you there. As we are leaving Cheyenne May 28 we still expext to see some lake ice in Waterton Lakes. More4less we will post now and then during trip. Lynne and I have been planning for the trip for more than a year. We are anxious to see the Canadian and Alaskan beauty and meet some fine folks. We are still absorbing the great advice others are offering us. Thanks