Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Roland, Jerri, Maggie & Mollie (gripper):

G'morning from San Antone! BOY!!...don't know who this "Len" was (ie., "RVing with Len"), but it sounds as though he might have been describing road conditions from Dawson Creek to Alaska prior to completion of the paving....years ago!!

Wife and I, and three cats have been real fulltimers since 05 and toured Alaska w. our 40', 2006 pusher, towing a Honda Element w. a canoe on top all summer in 07. We went North via the Alaska Hyw. out of Dawson Creek, BC, and returned down the Cassiar Hyw. (#37). The entire network of roads are absolutely FINE for traveling!!! Most all (and we mean ALL) are fully paved. Yes,...you'll encounter some short (ie., 2 or occasionally long 20 mile stretches) where they're repaving so graveled, or, if ya take the "Top of the World Highway" between Dawson City, Yukon (N. of Whitehorse) to Tok, Alaska, it's involves about 60 miles of gravel (really packed sandy/gravel) bwtween Chicken, AK, and Dawson City but the rest (from Chicken to Tok) is all beautifully paved!!

DON'T MISS VISITING ALASKA because of mis-information...it'll be the GREATEST trip you've done!! Your rig will do fine! Yeah..ya gotta take it easy along occasional stretches of even paved highway due to severe bounces from frost heaving, BUT... SLOW DOWN, sit back and enjoy the adventure. Even Maggie and Mollie will enjoy it.

Steve & Lynette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwy View Post
More4less we will post now and then during trip. Lynne and I have been planning for the trip for more than a year. We are anxious to see the Canadian and Alaskan beauty and meet some fine folks. We are still absorbing the great advice others are offering us. Thanks
Hope you planned in some time for a at least a little gold prospecting while your there. I got interested in it a couple years ago, and as you might think, not much in Ohio. (there is some, but IMHO, not enough to bother with) I took a trip to NC with a buddy, where we spent a couple days at an old emerald mine, (finding a a couple small emeralds and other interesting rocks and minerals) and then one at a gold panning site (between the two of us, shoveling a frontend loaders worth of dirt through a sluice box, then panning down what it had accumulated.) At today's prices, it would be about $100 worth each. but mostly for the experience of doing it.... I imagine we could have doubled or tripled that amount (or more) if we had been doing it in Alaska.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #31

Viva Fiesta from San Antone, TX.

Your gonna have a BALL!!!!!!!!!!

I talked the wife into taking 6 weeks off from her work and letting all of our plants wilt and die so we could take the 10 yr old daughter and dogs to Alaska for six weeks last July & Aug.

The roads were just as Pigman & Chickadee described. From Whitehorse to the Canadian border there are plenty of frost heaves. Wear your seat belt tight, and YEEEE HAAAAA!!!!!!! and if you have a MH that has a closet across the back, figure out away to keep your clothes on the hanger rod instead of the closet floor after each frost heave.

We found that about 80% of the remote little businesses along the AL-CAN were out-of-business? I guess the 08 & 09 economy killed'em? But findin fuel wasn't a problem, but then again we could go 1000 miles between fillups.

Alaska is unbelievably big and remote, and that's comin from a Texan. You'll drive hrs without seeing another soul(that's a good thing). You'll see plenty of natural splendor though. Plan on doing plentyof boondocking. Buy some bear spray and bells if your goin hiking or biking.

We recommend that you stay in your MH on Lake Muncho at Northern Rockies Lodge and take a ride or go fishing in one of their float planes.

Where Jealous Too!

Don, Lisa, Alexa with Rotty, Swissy, & Boston security systems
98 DSDP-what we drove to Alaska(for sale)
99 Monaco Exec-our new-2-us ride
Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #32

We will be ahead of most of you that are heading for Alaska, We plan on crossing into Canada around the middle of May, and arriving in Fairbanks sometime the first week in June. A question for those of you that have driven there in a big diesel pusher. DID YOU TAKE A SPARE TIRE? Of course I have one for the Toad, but not the motorhome.
Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreforles View Post
Hope you planned in some time for a at least a little gold prospecting while your there. I got interested in it a couple years ago, and as you might think, not much in Ohio. (there is some, but IMHO, not enough to bother with) I took a trip to NC with a buddy, where we spent a couple days at an old emerald mine, (finding a a couple small emeralds and other interesting rocks and minerals) and then one at a gold panning site (between the two of us, shoveling a frontend loaders worth of dirt through a sluice box, then panning down what it had accumulated.) At today's prices, it would be about $100 worth each. but mostly for the experience of doing it.... I imagine we could have doubled or tripled that amount (or more) if we had been doing it in Alaska.
You bet! pans and sifter are packed.....Several years ago a patient took us to Montana with vacuum dredge and shaker sluice. We panned and panned....had great time but hourly compensation was meager. We do look forward to experiencing this part of Alaskan history.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #34

Capt Jack,
I'm taking a 39' diesel to AK in June and plan to take an unmounted spare with me. Most diesel people I talk to report that road service can mount and change the tire on location. At least this way I have the parts and hopefully will not have to wait for a tire to be located and shipped in. Also, I know the condition of the tire I have. Mine will easily fit in the basement and of course will be filled with stuff so the space will not be completely wasted. A trucker friend of mine thinks I'm fretting over nothing- he says just don't worry about the tire and go for the trip! I did inspect the tires and have recently added a pressure monitoring system. Hope to see you along the way!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #35

Smile

Well, we're at the 2 week count down to the date we hit the road. We will be in Billings the night of May 28. Cheyenne is now melting the last of our 10 inch snow fall. Let us know when the rest of you are leaving for Alaska. Hope to see many of our fellow escapees on the trip. Meade and Lynne
Old 05-14-2010, 09:56 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a lot of fun,have a safe trip!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Midway,

We are getting close to are departure date and are looking forward to this trip. Hopefully we will leave sometime the week before Memorial Day and head up North. We will be stopping at Winnebago in Iowa and then up to Route 2 towards Montana. From there up to Calgary, etc.

By my Avatar you will see what I'm driving so look for us and we will look for you too.

If we don't meet up with you have a safe trip and enjoy it like we will.

May God Bless all those traveling to Alaska.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post

By my Avatar you will see what I'm driving so look for us and we will look for you too.

a friend of mine picked up a 99 adventurer last fall, fixed the generator that hadn't run it 2 or 3 years, replace 4 tires, replaced the brakes and I cleaned the carpets and upholstery.

he's itching to get it on the road around memorial weekend, not sure where yet
Old 05-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #39

Hi All, Well we're one week from "hitten" the road from Cheyenne to Alaska. Weather here is finally improving. Meade and Lynne and Max
Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #40

We hit the Canadian border today, came from Bonners Ferry, ID, spending the night in Fairmont Hot Springs, BC. We will take 2 weeks thru Canada, maybe we will meet up somewhere?
Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #41

Hi Capt, We leave Cheyenne Friday, Brown & Tans Winnebago Adventurer pulling a Brown CRV both with Montana plates. Weather foggy and misting this AM. We will be in Billings Fri night. Then Waterton Lakes, Tunnel Mountain at Banff then Jasper, etc. Will keep an eye open for you. Meade and Lynne
Old 06-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #42

Hey everybody!
Been in Montana since early May but will be crossing Canadian border on I15 Sunday sometime. Will be going through Calgary, Edmonton, then Dawson Creek. Have noticed a lot of RV traffic along I90 so I'm anxious to get moving again. Hope to meet up with some RV'ers along the way so if you see us give us a wave! Daughter and I are traveling in a 39' Presidio with green Toyota Tundra toad.