Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #29

Yeah, I'm doing a lot better. the fire only freaked me out for a couple of days, really. I have gotten the fabric to make the curtain-doors for the compartment areas, and I replaced the second ceramic heater with a better one. Between the two items, I should be good to go, as far as heat is concerned. Ice in the FW hose on the other hand, I was not prepared for in the California lowlands. Up in the mountains perhaps, but the highs here get around 110F in the summer. This is not a cold weather area! Well, at least not as far as I have ever known it to be, anyway. I woke up this morning to very low flow from the faucets, and thinking it was marina wide, I waited a couple of hours for it to be fixed. After that time, it still was the same, so I went outside to investigate. I turned on the secondary tap and got real good flow from that, so I figured that something had gotten through the filter on the well, and was clogging up my filter on the rig (I filter my incoming Fresh Water, as I like a very high quality of water.) I disconnected the FW hose and turned on the flow to clear it. Out came a dribble that just about explained the lack of flow inside. I had looked in the end of the hose before turning it on and was very surprised to find what looked like ice there. With the flow on, I flexed the hose all along it's length, and suddenly I had a good solid flow. I turned off the water, reconnected the hose, and when I turned around to turn the water back on, I noticed that there was a larg quantity of "slush" on the ground where the water had come out. Under the faucet that feeds my space there was an icicle that was 6" in length. I was NOT prepared for that just outside of Antioch California! I would say that it was fairly uncool, but that is exactly the problem. . .

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Be prepared Sanjay, tonight will be cooler. Already 30 Here in Sacramento.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #31

Well, I set the galley faucet at a slo flow last night, and it still partially froze last night. I had a medium slow flow rate this AM whe3n I got up. Not slow enough to make me think there was an outage, but slow enough that I couild not shower until it was cleared or thawed. Arugh! OK, is there a product that will insulate that incoming hose and keep it from freezing? If not, how much flow do I have to use to keep the lines clear? I have heard "crack the taps" and "leave a faucet dripping". Last night I had the line on just a little more than that (thin stream), and the lines were still blocked this AM. If there were something like an electric blanket that went around the hose and kept it warm, that would be perfect.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Sanjay...
Easiest thing would be to disconnect your hose tonight, drain the hose and know that you have to connect it first thing in the AM.
You can also go into the local Home Depot and get some of that pipe insulation tubing.
Good Luck
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #33

Hey MM, that is a sweet looking rig you have. What part of No CA are you in? I'm in the Delta area (about halfway between SF and Sac) myself. How does one make a pic of thier rig to be an avitar for thier posts? I already have some pics up in the photos section. Is there a specification of size that you cannot exceed to make the pic an avitar? The problem with disconnecting the hose at night is that I like to take my shower first thing in the AM. . .

Oh well, this is only expected to last a few more days, then the temps should return to "normal"

And as if you all had not noticed, it seems that I cannot type. Sorry if the posts are hard to read.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #34

Fill your fresh water tank up tonight and you will have water in the AM for the shower if you hurry. Disconnect the hose like MM said. I know you are in Cal, but there is a heat wrap for pipes, but I guess you don't have it in Cal Home Depot or Lowes. It really is like an electric blanket type of thing that wraps around the hose and plugs in to electric. If you have a hair dryer you can use that on the hoses in the AM after you take your shower of course. Good luck.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #35

Intellicast says that the temps will eb going up in a few days, so I'll lump it until then. I know of those wraps, but I have not seen them in CA. Right now, I'm living "Adventures in Fulltiming: When cleaning your stove turns into arcaeology". . .

*sigh* it looks like there was 30 years of gunk accumulated under the burners. I have chizeled most of it off, and now I'm digging the heads out on the screws that hold the thing together. Only took 4 hours to scrape the range portion clean. When I get that put back together, I'll start on the oven itself.

the above may sound like a gripe, but be assured that I am very much enjoying myself, and making this rig even better to live in.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Sanjay,
SacsTC and I live in the Sac valley - (He's the one who told you to be prepared on the 14th!) He actually spent some of his youth in the Delta while growing up so we are very familiar with Bethel Island!

I am surprised that the you can't find the insulated pipe tubing there in Antioch. We never had a problem when we lived in that area...

Anyway- Hope you can weather it out for a few more days- I am showing 29 already tonight and it will stay below 35 until next Sunday
Good Luck!
MonacoMom & SacsTC
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #37

the foam insulation I can find just fine. It is the heated wrap that I cannot find in this area. It is like an electric blanket that goes over your water pipes to keep them from freezing. I have only see it in areas that get real cold. . Like when I was stationed in WI. I'm finding that the weather is already warm enough that it is nor a real problem for me anymore. Even without running a tap all night, I have a medium low flow, but it is enough that if I run the tap for a few minutes in the morning, it breaks up/melts the ice in the line, andd I get a full flow after that. My two electric heaters are keeping up, but just barely. One is more effective than the other (Ceramic, versus Nichrome) so it it gets cold again, I will probably get a second Ceramic unit. In a year or two, I will have enough cash saved up to replace the furnace with a good new one. then the cold will be a non-issue in every way.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #38

OK, it is starting to look like the weather has broken here. I still expect a bit of rain, but the temps have come up to a point where I can start looking at begining the refit process. I'm gonna straighten up the inside of the rig and start taking the "before" pictures in the next few days, then I'll start an album for the project and a thread to describe the process. Now all I have to do is win the lottery so I can pay for the parts. . .

Old 02-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep! need to rob the bank of England for these jobs! Glad to hear the weather is getting better your way as that means it will my way. It's CCCCOLD here. I think my truck was towing that stuff here. If the winds go away the warmer temps will come back,or so they think. Hang in there buddy, Spring is here.. Just having a hard time hatching!!jejeje!! Think SUN!!!!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #40

Well, does it help that I have been wearing shorts outside for the last month? I can't think of a more positive afirmation than that. . .

Well, yes I can, but I would get arrested. . .

Old 03-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Warmer weather has arrived!! WooHoo!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #42

I think it might have hit 50 degs. here in Mid-Michigan. Snow is really melting fast now. Oh boy, that means it's almost time...

1964 Ander-ett 16ft
michcruiser60 is offline   Reply With Quote