Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #1

Hi .. Looking to RV Fulltime

Planning on buying a used Class A and Fulltiming for a while. I am still working .. and will be for years .. but like the flexibility of RV life. I am in construction and work has been pretty bad here in the Denver area. Being trapped in an apt lease limited my options when looking for work. When my current job dies off in Nov or so, I plan to move over to a mountain town where I can work a ski job.

Also, I have a dog and moving and finding a new apt w/ a dog is problematic as well. I've checked and there are parks that allow dogs in the areas I intend to go. I have lived in 'alternative' housing situations before .. 4 years on a 35' boat in S. Florida and the Keys with a 60 lb Dalmatian, 2 years OTR as a big rig driver, basically living in a semi w/ a 65 lb lab ... so I know I can adapt and prosper. The boat years were really great.

It's just me and the dog right now, so I'm looking at a 70's/80's Class A around 30' or so. I have a full size 4 wd p/u that I will sell and hope to p/u a small economical car to tow. Funds are tight so I'm looking at older models in the $2000 to $4000 range .. there are lots out there that are 'supposedly' in good shape and functioning properly. I am very mechanical and skilled in construction, wood and sheet metal, and older automotive technology .. so should be able keep things up. Just need to stay away from the 'lemons'.

Thanks to the forums for all the great tips on buying .. I'm printing my checklist.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Welcome to my favorite RV forum site, I'm glad you've found us. I hope your search for the 'perfect' RV bears fruit. Sounds like the RV may be a good fit for you, but be aware that spending a cold winter in an RV will bring challenges.

You may want to spend some time in the 'Vintage' forum here. No doubt there's a ton of experience to be mined there as to what to look for in a classic rig.

Again, happy to have you on-board, and best of luck in your search.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Steve! Welcome to the forum. Hope you find the RV that is "just right" for you!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post

Welcome to my favorite RV forum site, I'm glad you've found us. I hope your search for the 'perfect' RV bears fruit. Sounds like the RV may be a good fit for you, but be aware that spending a cold winter in an RV will bring challenges.
Thanks for the welcome, I've always heard good things about the RV "Family". Nice to know I'm not in this alone. It was similar when I lived on the boat in Fl .. folks always willing to share and help out.

I have a lot of experience in winter and cold, though ensuring my new "home" is prepared for it will be new. I'm sure I'll find lots of tips here and from other RV'ers wherever I end up this winter .. I'm thinking the Glenwood Springs, CO area.

Thanks again ..
smashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
Hi Steve! Welcome to the forum. Hope you find the RV that is "just right" for you!
Thanks .. appreciate that. I just have to remember what my friend told me when I was looking at boats to live on back in the 90's. Don't look far outside your budget, cause you might end up pretty disappointed with the one you have to 'settle' for. Just the pictures of some of the big "new" A's are amazing!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the site!

We bought a used Class A & will be moving in FT in December - we also have animals and have to work but think the flexibility of an RV will be beneficial for contracts. One thing we would recommend is purchase it before you move into it. We purchased ours early this year (a little earlier than we anticipated) but taking some smaller trips have pointed out what we need to fix before we move in FT. Since we have animals, it's been easier to have the electrical fixed & the AC that failed fixed and not have to worry about them!

Funny that you also lived on a boat! That was our 'Plan A' but with 4 animals including a big dog with bad hips, we decided that an RV would be a good substitute. A sailboat still remains in our future...
geekyexplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyexplore View Post
Welcome to the site!

We bought a used Class A & will be moving in FT in December - we also have animals and have to work but think the flexibility of an RV will be beneficial for contracts. One thing we would recommend is purchase it before you move into it. We purchased ours early this year (a little earlier than we anticipated) but taking some smaller trips have pointed out what we need to fix before we move in FT. Since we have animals, it's been easier to have the electrical fixed & the AC that failed fixed and not have to worry about them!

Funny that you also lived on a boat! That was our 'Plan A' but with 4 animals including a big dog with bad hips, we decided that an RV would be a good substitute. A sailboat still remains in our future...
Thanks .. My plan is to give notice at my apt (1 month) once I get my new 'home' which will give me time to move in slowly and shake everything out. Air Cond.. is my major issue now since I leave the dog at home when I work and it's in the high 90's every day lately. However in a month or so who knows .. it is Colorado .. we could have snow ..

Boats are pretty amazing .. especially sleeping on them. The gentle rocking is know to effect your dreams!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashburn View Post
It's just me and the dog right now, so I'm looking at a 70's/80's Class A around 30' or so. I have a full size 4 wd p/u that I will sell and hope to p/u a small economical car to tow. Funds are tight so I'm looking at older models in the $2000 to $4000 range .. there are lots out there that are 'supposedly' in good shape and functioning properly. I am very mechanical and skilled in construction, wood and sheet metal, and older automotive technology .. so should be able keep things up. Just need to stay away from the 'lemons'.

Thanks to the forums for all the great tips on buying .. I'm printing my checklist.

Steve
Purchasing a used RV within a timeline/budget can be a real challenge.
Unless you are extremely lucky, there will be repairs/maintenance needed on any used vehicle you buy. Look at some RV's for sale by PP that are priced at what appears to be above market value for their age. The owners are less likely to have many offers and may be open to a more reasonable offer. You may be able to get a highly maintained unit for a good price.
Look at as many as you can and try not to fall in love with the one you feel is right. It's much easier to negotiate the price if you are not emotionally attached. There are many used RV's on the market, so if you can't get the first one you like at a reasonable price, move on to the next.
Good luck, hope you find a nice one soon.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #9

Well .. I bought a 1977 Journey Motor Home this weekend .. let the remodeling begin! My landlord has found someone to rent my apt so I'm free to move 9/1/11 so my Lab mix Sasha and I will be fulltime very soon ... at Prospect Park in Wheat Ridge, CO .. if any of you iRV2'ers happen to be set up there as well .. I'm sure I'll be the only '77 Journey.

I have a thread about the remodel project over in 'Vintage' if interested ..
Old 08-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Steve,

Welcome to irv2! I have found tons of help here.

Can you pull a 5th wheel with your current pickup? You might better off putting your cash into a newer 5er instead of a 30+ year old motorhome and towed vehicle. The cost of the tow bar and braking system alone can run 1K. Just something to consider.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats smashburn,

Sounds like you have a great base to start with. I saw on your other post what you paid and to get a running driving motorhome for that price is very good.

Good luck with your new adventure!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fulltime