Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Talking Hi! we're newbies

We are planning to hit the road in Sept 2011, so we are still looking for our RV. The plan is to be fulltimers for at least a year and then re-evaluate, since Ray isn't sure he wants to live without a stick house.

We have been thinking and planning this lifestyle change for a few years and I am getting anxious!

We started out thinking that we wanted a Class C, mostly bc of the bunk space above the cab, which we saw as a perfect "getaway area" for reading or listening to music. Kind of like a bonus space.

Then after listening to other fulltimers and RVers, we started thinking that Class A was the way to go. More storage space, more space interiorly...

Been to a couple of RV shows and to one dealer and after sitting in the driver's seat in both, we're back to thinking Class C. Mostly, bc as the only driver, I wasn't comfortable in any of the Class As, except the 29 ft Mirada.

Then there's the issue of new or used... used makes so much more sense financially, but since my dear husband & I are not mechanically inclined, I worry about how old is too old?

What'd'ya think? are we just over thinking everything? I promised the family I work for that I would stay until next Sept, so no matter how anxious I am to get on the road, I have a commitment to honor. But last weekend, I was ready to drive to an RV dealer and buy one, just to actually have an RV! LOL!

RayandJean (& Greyla, too)

Still looking for our RV
Rayand Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Give it a try

I know you said you were not comfortable sitting in the seat of the class A. I would say, take one for a drive. Sitting in a parking lot does not give you the sense you have driving.

We also looked at class C's before buying the A. Wanted the space offered only in the A. I know there are a lot of class C folks here who love their RV's. They can give you more info about their own. I love driving my class A. It handles very well, you can see what is happening all around you, it does take some getting used to with all the open space but overall, the benefits outweighed any negatives for us.

Whatever you decide, get out and enjoy it, even if you can't do it fulltime yet.

Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
I am in the class a crowd. But like Dan said go take one for a drive or rent one of each for a weekend. Drive it 40-70 miles one way and see how you like it.

On the subject of new versus used. New will take a large hit in depreciation when you drive it off the lot. Used already has taken the hit. If i was in the market for another RV I would be looking at 1-2 years old. Low miles & still under warrenty. Some if not all of the bugs should be worked out by this point. If you search on here for people who have bought new they always seem to be going back to the dealer to have some small items repaired. This is just my opionion....the manufacturers have been hit hard by the recession. Either they would put out a top of the line quality product so they could get more market share or they could cut corners and hope that you never need to bring it back. All at the same time charging you and me top dollar for thier product. I believe the latter is the case. Again just my opionion.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am with dsbike 100%. Rent both first and if at all posible for at least a week with both. We rented for many years and owned both c's and a's. With so many floorplans a week in each will make it easier to find one that meets your needs.

New verses used is almost like Ford vs Chevy. I prefer low mile used units for the reasons listed above.

Paul & Carol NE Pennsylvania
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 33' Our RV Travels
FMCA F410021 Friends Of Angel Bus Chapter VP
pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Thanks for the input, guys!

We're thinking that renting each for a long weekend is probably a great idea and will try to do that in the small window of time between the DH's busy season @ his PT job and full on winter.

The one dealership we visited was a bit pushy and seemed less then willing to let me actually drive the used RV they wanted to sell me. No big deal @ the time, as we were simply on a looking expedition, But surely nobody in their right mind would buy something without driving it first.

I really do appreciate hearing what you all have to say, especially as seasoned Rvers.
RayandJean (& Greyla, too)

Still looking for our RV
Rayand Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Good for you guys! We did much the same thing... bought our first RV a year after I retired... and then traveled the country at least half of the time for 2.5 years. Then sold our stick house... put everything we couldn't part with right now in a 10x10 storage unit and have been on the road full time since last September. Just loving it too.

Everybody's situation is different, but even though I had never driven an RV, we bought a 40' Diesle Pusher and I just figured that I'd learn to drive it. And I did with no problem at all. Now, 3.5 years, 34 states and 32,000 miles later it's been second nature for a long time now. So, I would advise not to be too concerned about how you feel sitting in the driver's seats at first.

However, I would offer caution about the need to be "mechanically inclined". These beast require some degree of tinkering. It's best if both of you took on as a new hobby learning about RV maintenance... maybe even a course at a local Junior College? Even if you don't end up "fixing" a lot of things, it will help you understand how to "operate" all of the various systems properly... and, you'll get more enjoyment out of your new RV... keep in mind it's going to be your HOME.

I'm sure you'll love the freedom and your new ability to see all our great country has to offer.

Have fun and be safe.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
Reading thru this thread I see some very good advice. In my opinion having expectations in line with reality is important.
My two cents would be the "not mechanically inclined" is a cause for concern. I do not know how one can be a MH owner and not have or develop these skill sets; there is just too much going on with the various MH systems to not be able to tend to them all to some degree. I think of our MH as two systems..the trcuk part and the coach part. Each need different skill sets to maintain.
Most all RV manufactures give plant tours. If you are close enough to schedule a tour, that may benefit one to understand how the various systems come together. Manufacturers also produce "how to" videos..a quick search on youtube and I found some on generator maintenance...troubleshooting guides for various systems etc. In the time you have before purchase collecting such videos or downloaded information on what each system will require of you as an owner may be helpful.
On the C class vs A class..I am a C class owner. We use ours only as a weekend getaway and do not use it for extended time periods. With no slideouts moving about in it is "room for one only" at a time. If we were to live in it this cramped space would be unaceptable.
If one is a fulltimer one would most likely pull a vehicle as well. That is a third system to consider. Have you given any thoughts to using a 5er to full time in? that cuts down on the potential systems to go wrong, one less vehicle to maintain..and the pull vehicle can be repaired in many more places than a MH can be.
Good luck, seems you have your eyes wide open, and happy adventure.

Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote