Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2005, 05:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
After retiring about two years ago from more than 30 years of railroading, I'm ready to hit the road! My wife and I are looking to get an RV, so we're researching and looking. Hope this site helps . . . thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2005, 05:51 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
After retiring about two years ago from more than 30 years of railroading, I'm ready to hit the road! My wife and I are looking to get an RV, so we're researching and looking. Hope this site helps . . . thanks.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have you onboard. Ask any questions you have...no charge and you will get a free answer

Since you are "SeeTheUSA" you will need to get a Chevy.

Ken
Old 04-01-2005, 08:44 AM   #4

See ya on the road
Old 04-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #5

SeeTheUSA, Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your retirement, this is the website for all your RV questions.
Whatever you need to know, ask the forum and we will try to get you the correct anwser. Ed.S
Old 04-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #6

Welcome SeeTheUSA. This is a great place for any and all info. I've been a member for a while but mostly reading.

My retirement starts in June and it's SeeTheUSA for me. As an Air Force Brat I've traveled a bit and lived a few places, Indiana, Arizona, Turkey. But nothing beats seeing this great land.

1992 HR Imperial, "87" Prowler Lynx, "88" Coleman Williamsburg.
RedHR35CSXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
A gandy man who is now ready to use the roads instead of the rails for his travels - Welcome !
Some very good times await you.
Have you thought at all about what sort of RV - a Class A, a 5er, a slide-in, somethng smaller right off the bat?
We'd sure like to hear how your decision evolves ..
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have you thought at all about what sort of RV - a Class A, a 5er, a slide-in, somethng smaller right off the bat?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh - the $64k question! I have all kinds of issues rolling around in my head I'm not sure which fits best - thinking now either small Class C or 5th Wheel. It's just me and my wife, we don't plan extended stays at any one place, but might stay a week or two somewhere. Anyone have ideas/tips/suggestions?
Old 04-02-2005, 04:05 AM   #9

Welcome See the USA. Look forward to your posts. Check out the Texax Boomers, go to their rallies and get a feel for all different RV's They'd Love to have you

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:24 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ahh - the $64k question! I have all kinds of issues rolling around in my head I'm not sure which fits best - thinking now either small Class C or 5th Wheel. It's just me and my wife, we don't plan extended stays at any one place, but might stay a week or two somewhere. Anyone have ideas/tips/suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That question is best asked if you have a week or two of reading time and a Laz-i-Boy recliner available. You will find lots of ideas and opinions on that (and other) matters in the many informative threads that await you here at iRV2. Read thru the 'TravelTrailer & 5th Wheel' sections and the 'Motorhomes' areas and then the 'RV Camping' to round it off.

Here is one thing to get you going: With a 5th wheel or trailer you can easily unhook your trailer at a campsite and use the truck as a roam around siteseer and go to town vehicle. With that Class C (or A) you are all one nicely tied together vehicle with real easy access from the pilot's area to the living quarters. Between that and all the MANY different floorplans available,.... now its time for you to jump into the forums below and read and ask people how they made their decisions.
Ask us ANY questions that come to mind...

Best of times are ahead,
Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 05:33 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Welcome SeetheUSA -

Congratulations on your retirement and welcome to th irv2.com community! You'll meet lots of fine folks who are able to share experiences with you!

Thanks Allegro Happy for the Texas Boomer plug! Always appreciated when we get to meet someone new right here in our great state!

seetheUSA-my greatest advice is to not jump too quickly!

1. Research! Spend some time on the computer, on the phone with mfgs, and of course here on iRV2.com talking with many who have many experiences (both good and bad) to share. None of us can make up your mind for you, but wisdom is seeking info from those who've walked the road before you! 99.9% of us have made mistakes and we're willing to share so you don't make the same ones!!!!

2. spend hours on the parking lots of the various RV dealerships. Don't get overwhelmed or blown away by the "aesthetics" of a rig, but look beneath the surface for quality of construction.

3. spend some time in your favorite rig...tell the salesman to get lost for a while! This is a BIG INVESTMENT regardess of what you get. Get a feel for where everything is...or should be! Your wife will certainly check out the kitchen!

I probably haven't covered it all, but these are a few things for your consideration. Good luck in your quest and KEEP US POSTED!

Sandy

PS: The Texas Boomers are going to be a Burleson (up in your neck of the woods) for our Labor Day Rally. Even if you don't have a rig by then YOU CAN STILL COME BY AND MEET THE FOLKS!

Texas and Boomers - we just naturally go together
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote