Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to saranvern
Hello from saranvern

Hi Tony - we are new too. Just figuring this out. Thanks for your service!
Vern and Sara
saranvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Wow! Big thanks to everyone here - certainly made me feel welcome.

I will be picking up and dropping off the RV tomorrow. Will post some pictures as soon as I can. Haven't even got it yet and I already have so much reading to do! Fingers crossed I get this monster the 5 miles across town it needs to go...

Thanks again everyone.
Twalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

Yes a big Thank-you for your dedication serving our Country.
We really like looking at pictures inside and out.
Depending where you are better make plans to winterize her.
We are expecting 8-12 inches of the white stuff starting Monday thru Tuesday
Unfortunately its here!!!!!
Again thank you and welcome
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
That was a hairy 5 miles, but I made it!

First thing I'll have to do is replace all the dryrotted tires and replace the disk brakes. Anyone have any advice on DIY tools I need to buy for that, like a certain kind of jack or tire recommendations? Brake lights would be handy too...

I still have a lot of reading to do on the forums, luckily I have all the manuals so I'll be doing my homework before shelling out any big bucks for now. Itching to take a trip down to Florida (8 hrs drive), but I want to make sure it's road ready first.

You guys are awesome. Hope to hear some good news.

Pics are coming as soon as I can figure how to get them from my phone to here.
Twalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TWalls,

Go to the vintage RV forum and look up total rebuild. This gentleman has taken an old 5th wheel and is completely redoing it. You will be able to pick up some info here. Might make you feel better about what is possible with yours. There are some people here who have some amazing skills and lots of answers.

Good luck with the new rig and thank you for your service. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club

Old 11-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A good clean up and some mechanical elbow grease and you should have a decent looking unit.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Welcome. Ok it runs, Now from the "Tone" of that statement, I hope it stops (Old not exactly a joke) (A vehicle that won't run is safe, a vehicle that won't stop is not).

What have you found so far that is wrong?

Page 2: What converter does it have (may be part of the power distribution center if both fuses and breakers are behind a common door). That is often worthy of upgrade on older units.
I'll be honest with you, I have no idea. As far as I know everything on it is 1990 original, to include the wheels and brakes - which are the first (and wildly expensive) order of business. I practically have to stand on the brake pedal to stop even an idle roll forward.

Any suggestions on affordable tires and drum brakes for the Tiffin?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome.

Cant think of a better way to integrate back in to the civilian world. RV'ers are the friendliest folks around.

You have taken on a big project. It can be frustrating but also very satisfying to make the alterations to bring your home to the standard you want. Somehow I find working with my hands and seeing the changes are very satisfying.

Undertake the changes in small doses. Set small goals that are achieveable and you will find it goes faster than trying to undertake everything at once. Check out the thread "Total Rebuild" and you will find a fellow who is undertaking a large project. Many of his tasks are the same as yours so you can use some of his posts as guideance for your project.

There are many threads of folks doing upgrades to their MH. Many of them claim average ability but they demonstrate superior craftsmanship. Many of these folks have done some or all of what you are attempting so you have to believe it is doable.

It will be great to see the pictures and accomplishments you post. Ask all of the questions you like. Be prepared for folks like me to provide free unsolicted advice. Remember to value the free advice for what you paid for it. You will have the final say in what you do.

Have a great time doing the upgrades. Look forward to the before, during and after photos.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Tony;
First of the free advice so . . . .

Pictures of the roof look like it is quite stained. Hard to tell from the photos if there is much leaking. It does look like there are some issues around the fantastic fan. Are there any other indications of leaking in the roof?

Have you been up on the roof to see how firm the surface is? Are there soft spots? Are they localized?

Fixing the roof if it is damaged could be your first task prior to repairing the brakes and replacing tires. If the water has got into the walls you could have a large task to repair or replace the damage.

If there is only minor damage to the roof and nothing in the walls you will have a project that will be worthwhile and unique. If there is a lot of damage in the walls the choice will be yours to continue or not.

Do you have a shop or enclosure to use if you have to take the roof off to do the repairs if they are needed? Working under a tarp is very doable just takes a bit more effort.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check carefully around the opera windows for leaks. They are cute but notorious for leaking. Also check the master cylinder brake fluid level. Then the power steering fluid level. And belt tightness. (The power steering pump supplied the power to the brakes.) This period Chevy P32 chassis was known for a long brake pedal reach, but not weak brakes. (Chevy says a 9 inch travel on the pedal was O.K.)
Old 11-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Twalls,

As Gordon and I both suggested, check out a thread called "Total Rebuild" under "Vintage RVs" under Forums. There is a lot of info there. Then go to YOUTUBE and enter repairing roof on an RV or Motorhome. Visual is always good. You can look up how to dump your tank, replace batteries, fix windows, and almost anything you want. Coming on winter you will have some time to look.

Water is the enemy for RVs and Motorhomes from my understanding. Make sure the roof is safe and dry. If you have no place to park it under, then be careful about what you cover it with. It needs to be able to breath not trap the moisture so no blue tarps. I have read all this here. Just go through old threads and find what you need.

Good luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twalls View Post
I'll be honest with you, I have no idea. As far as I know everything on it is 1990 original, to include the wheels and brakes - which are the first (and wildly expensive) order of business. I practically have to stand on the brake pedal to stop even an idle roll forward.

Any suggestions on affordable tires and drum brakes for the Tiffin?
Welcome, .. feel strange saying that as I am very very new also. Take it slow on getting what new parts you may think you need to make the brakes right. Don't mean to assume you haven't. You have inspected the rotors and drums? These are usually later down the list for having to stand on the brakes. First start with making sure the booster is working right. Then onto other things.
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome