Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-19-2015, 12:26 AM   #15
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Newbi2 View Post
... After researching many options over the past year, I decided a big van would meet my needs without things being too complicated. ....
While I was in college, I had a little business selling VW camper Eurovans and older Westy camper busses to European tourists on vacation, ("on holiday").

If they didn't travel across the country, (or into Canada or Mexico), they would often return them to me and sell them back to me.

I would then sell the camper vans to many to local college comrades who attempted to "fulltime". About 90% gave up within weeks. The number one complaint was the confined small size. The number two complaint was the lack of a shower! They would typically take daily showers at friends homes/apartments or at the school's athletic department.

Conversion vans, (Class B motorhomes), typically do not include a shower and a practical long term use galley. If you currently own the van, you may consider selling it and purchasing a Class C. You can find older used Class C motorhomes that are priced about the same as a normal empty delivery van.

BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 12:05 PM   #16
That's great-I'm actually already on my way there!

Newbi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #17
Thanks, BeachDude. I will keep that in mind, definitely. The only problem for me is if you have plumbing it will sure as heck have something go wrong with it, and since I don't know how those things work I'll be outta luck or having to pay $$ I don't have for repairs. Of course, I don't expect to be able to shower daily-let's just say my life has included some challenging aspects and experiences that helped me accept a more "rugged" lifestyle, shall we say? I've learned ways to get around the daily shower and still stay clean. I actually devised a little shower "stall" in my van and I have this water pump device that shoots out a strong stream. I haven't tried it out yet, but I will soon to see how well it works out. Just a basic wash down will work for me in between finding camp or Planet Fitness showers. I hope to be entirely able to do everything necessary in the van-I'm a "just in case" kinda gal, so if I'm somewhere without facilities I will be ok. But you never know-if I win the lottery or a rich relative dies and leaves some dough, I'm not against upgrading!
Old 09-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #19
Thank you-good to be here
Old 09-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #20
Welcome yea.i agree you'll be moving up more you get evolved
Lol lol anyway have fun
dscoacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:02 AM   #21
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You asked about boondocking. Since you have a van your options are considerably greater than other big rig boondockers because vans can usually blend in anywhere. As a last resort there are many Walmart parking lots that allow over night parking but there are many more beautiful places to stop. Also, many campground memberships like "Thousand Trials" offer great deals for full time RVers to save on campground fees. Anyhow, here is a list of websites that will help you find the perfect spot, most of these offer free or very cheap boondocking locations:

State Dept of Transportation List
Longhauler-USA - Longhaulers, Truck Drivers - Transportation & trucking resources

Welcome and good luck, I hope you enjoy your new (to you) rig!
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Welcome to the forum. Have you looked into work camping? There literally are jobs out there all over (in warmer climes) where you park for free and or get paid also. Do a search and maybe this could be an option for you. Amazon has jobs like this. Work for 3 to 4 months at $10. an hour, park for free, just pay for your propane. Bonus of a $1 an hour if you stay for the full time for each hour you worked. Some people say it is their gas budget for the year. Disney has jobs posted, State Parks allow you to stay for free when you volunteer there. National Parks post jobs, stay for free and get paid. Camp hosts stay for free but you are not driving all over paying for gas.

Otherwise, if you aren't able to upgrade to a class C, then maybe pull a small trailer behind which could hold a lot of items. The plumbing on a rig isn't that bad as long as I doesn't freeze. Look at PPL RV's on line, they have some nice rigs at decent prices. A "Trek" might be a good answer for you. Small but they are so neat. Bigger than what you have, but more simple.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Lynne
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome to the biggest group of mentors/big brothers & sisters/best RV friends you could ever find! Never hesitate to ask ANY questions. We all started out as newbies and are ALL still learning!

When I took the risk of leaving the security of corporate America to open a small retail business, I took encouragement from two quotes: "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for" (Henry Shedd) and "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than the things you did" (Mark Twain) [Note: the quotes may be paraphrased here; I have the verbatim ones framed on the wall at the store]
2014 Newmar Bay Star 3308
Patti Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #24
LOL! "Evolving"...I like that!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #25
Tyler, thanks so much! I feel encouraged. Yes, I was going for versatility, too. As a Newbi I don't know anything and wanted to be able to explore options. Big thank you for the list of websites! I will looking at all of them!!!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #26
Those ideas sound very useful, beamisl! Man, you folks really know how to help a Newbi. I didn't know about all those job opportunities-making some $$$ would come in quite handy. I will add your information about jobs (and "upgrades") to my list of things to research...and I actually love doing research!! Thank you : )
Old 09-27-2015, 10:52 PM   #27
Patti, you're right-very nice and helpful people here!!! This information is exciting. When you're new, you don't even know what questions to ask, but you all are helping me to find that out : ) Yes, those quotes make a lot of sense-I'd have to say I came to Twain's conclusion when I decided to do this. My version goes something like this, "When I come to the end of my life, what are the things I'll wish I did?" When I look at decisions from that perspective (some think its morbid, but I find it making decisions much easier!). So, here I am! Thanks for the encouragement!!
Old 09-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #28
Tiffin Owners Club
New as in 2 weeks ago. Originally had a 2003 39'Cat 330 Fleetwood Providence SLE and RV'd for 9 years. Husband's health declined and he isn't able to drive anymore so we sold. Here a year later, I talked Bill into going smaller with me driving and after a lot of on-line and out-of-town looking, we now are owners of a 2012 Allegro CA32 Class A gas with low mileage. This is my first time to drive, dump, hook-up, fuel up as Bill did everything. Previously I cooked, cleaned and gave directons from my laptop. We picked up our new rv, had 2 days to learn, get fuel and propane, load and we just completed 2000 miles with me as the driver and traveling behind friends in their MH. Needless to say, friends and some family think we are crazy. I am 82 and Bill is 83 but not ready to give it up. I had a lot of help from strangers at RV parks and at the gas pumps. People are nice, willing to share information, and also willing to go out of their way to be helpful. I say, "Never too old to learn" and 'enjoy every day that you have'. I will post later with quesitons. Maggie

Classmates51 is offline   Reply With Quote