Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #1

I'm Dave and I am Here to Learn

Hi everyone. I'm Dave Berkowitz (NOT that one!) and I live in Schaumburg, IL.

I plan on retiring about a year from now and my wife and I are discussing buying an RV to do some travelling after that happens. The problem is we have zero knowledge on the subject. We just know that we want to be able to take a few trips a year to various parts of the country and want to be able to bring our two dogs and perhaps a pet bird along with us.

I will likely be very quiet for a time while I learn enough to even figure out what questions I should be asking. And when I do ask they will likely be foolish beginner questions. I'm hoping you will all be tolerant of someone who is a total newbie.

Dave
DaveInIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #2

Welcome! Lots of good information on this site. Are you thinking about a motor home, 5th wheel or travel trailer?
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome Dave!

You have come to a great place to learn. Huge amount of knowledge here from folks very wailing to share. Suggest to browse the various forums, use the search feature to expand on something of interest, and when you have a question just ask.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome Dave, take the time and ask questions, Read a lot, and you will make the right choice!
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forums. Poster #2 asked the key question. Our experiences with TT's and MH's may help.
We started years ago with tents but gradually got up to a MH in 1978. It was a 23' Class C but it served us well. Then we progressed up to a 34' Class A Dutch Star in 1999. It surprised us but there seemed to be more room in the 23' Tioga. We sold the 1999 in 2010 and got into the TT (travel trailers). In our opinion that was a big mistake. I believe their quality is very marginal at best. They are built on the edge of destruction. By that I mean that the frames are very thin and flexible. The axles are just barely able to carry the weight and the tires are as well. Motor Homes are built on a truck chassis and are therefore inherently more solid. They are not without problems but I believe they start out as being much more solidly built.
Each one has their issues. If you choose a TT you have your vehicle when you stop. If you choose a MH you don't. Depending on your choices you may have about as much $$$ in a TT with a good TV (tow vehicle) as you would have in a MH with a TOAD (vehicle that you pull).
If you are mechanically inclined buying used and fixing what needs fixing is a good way to go. There are lot of good deals out there as long as you are careful.
We had 3 TT's before we got back into a MH and we would never go back to a TT. We enjoy having all the conveniences when we stop for lunch. We have a dog and a cat as well. They can run free in the MH but couldn't in the truck. For most it's just a matter of preference as to how they like to travel.
The view out of a MH is really great and I enjoy the driving and traveling part as much as the stopping and camping part.

Enjoy your search !!

TeJay
Old 12-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #7

Welcome to the forums!
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #9

Thanks for the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefly1 View Post
Welcome! Lots of good information on this site. Are you thinking about a motor home, 5th wheel or travel trailer?
Thanks for the welcome. We are leaning towards a motor home. I don't see us in a Class A, but a Class C seems like a better fit. We spent a few days scouring the Internet but haven't yet actually stepped inside any unit. We're going to a nearby dealer this weekend. Hopefully they won't mind spending time with someone who is still many months away from a purchase.

I have some acquaintances who are talking up 5th wheels, but that would mean I'd have to also buy a vehicle capable of towing. I suppose an older model along with a not too old vehicle might still be in our price range. But with the Class C there is the option to move easily from the cabin to the living area and that is attractive to us.

I'm willing to be convinced either way. The man who knows nothing can't afford strong opinions.

Dave (I know I'm supposed to set up a signature. Haven't figured out how to do that yet.)
Old 12-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #10

Thanks!

Dave
Old 12-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #11

Dave, welcome, you will find a lot of valuable info and help. There are no dumb questions as we all started at the beginning. Some of have struggled longer and have first had experience. Enjoy the different forums. Clark
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Twelve Step Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInIL View Post
We spent a few days scouring the Internet but haven't yet actually stepped inside any unit. We're going to a nearby dealer this weekend.
You're in a good place, Dave. Already on Step Two, but you have nine remaining...

Hit the shows, the dealers. Set foot in everything you see, imagine yourselves making dinner, using the bathroom, going to bed. My wife climbed into every shower, fully clothed, closed the door and did her customary motions. Once we settled on the last few candidates, each was judged with slides in -- the underway and rest-stop configuration -- and extended. In silence, listen to the AC and heat. Particularly in the bedroom. Walkways are big: older designs might treat you to two feet at the door and up the stairs, and then pinch to ten inches. The space between opposing seating underway is critical, if you ever plan to haul passengers.

In my humble opinion, smart money never buys new. You can afford twice the RV, if you target the 4-8 year old units. Ones that have been smoked in, lived in, or have no miles should be tossed aside. Indoor-stored rigs that have received steady maintenance are best. Remember to check the age of the tires: the DOT code is week and year, eg 0709 means the seventh week of 2009. Front tires should be less than five years old. Use your nose, turn away if it smells musty. Look for traces of leaking water, from the roof, around windows, under sinks/showers/toilets.

That's just the rough screening. You can attend to the details once you've picked out five or six candidates!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suggest renting a class C RV for a week or more. That will teach you more than you could ever read.
You will know if you want to tow a car behind you after a week.
You will know more about the layout you want. For example....A walk around bed is an ABSOLUTE must.
You will know if you like RVing in general.

Keep in mind we all started out just like you. Zero knowledge.

There is one thing all the guys on here discovered soon enough and I'll pass that along to you.

If Momma ain't happy, nobody is happy. Keep that in mind during the purchase if you decide to join the ranks of travelers.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote