Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #1

I'm Green.

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm not new to camping ok so its been a long long time. Use to camp on the eastern part of US as a kid. I remember my dad's old green huge army canvas tent they dont make them quite like that anymore. Then we moved up to a pop up camper I also remember my dad yelling at me because I cranked it up and why i have no idea I let it go.. hehe I was a kid.
Fast forward years years later, i'm looking to rv fulltime after I get a camper/rv travel trailer. I'm tired of the hustle and bustle of working 60+ hours a week for what so ultimate goal is workkamping and some odd jobs or an internet buiness of somekind. Not sure yet.

So that is the short version of a long story. Can't wait to get my hands fully into rv'ing fulltime..

wormbird!!
wormbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wormbird, Sounds like you have a plan in place. Hope all your plans work out for you and enjoy the travel/work life. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #3

wormbird. Welcome to the forum...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wormbird;

Welcome to iRV2. Good luck with your full time goal. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. We have a great group who like to help when they can.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Welcome! In the immortal words of Kermit the Frog: "It's not easy being green." Hopefully the fine folks here can make it just a little easier. Good luck in your travels, and see ya down the road!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #6

Welcome
shady3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcoime to IRV2.. Glad you made it.. Now all you need to do is figure out what kind of RV to buy.

PUPS (popup trailers) can often be towed with the family station wagon, However they are a lot of work to set up and not all that energy efficient (Even with A/C they get hot in the summer, and cold in the winter despite heat)

Small trailers are better at Temp control.. But tend to be... Well.. Small.

Larger trailers need a decent tow vehicle, Say a 3/4 ton Pick up or bigger. As do 5th wheels..

With all trailers your "Run around" vehicle (Run to the store for a loaf of bread as an example) is the tow vehicle.. As a general rule these are not HIGH MPG vehicles.

Now we move up to "Motor homes" I will discuss only class A and C.

Class C's are smaller, Usually a "Cab over" Model (one bunk bed above the cab) based on a cutaway cab truck... For one person they are a good choice. For a family.. May be a bit.. small.

Class A's are much larger.. in fact the one I am sitting in as I type this is about half the usable floor space of the main floor in my house (Basement is a tad more compact though)

Now, Trailer or Class A: I've spoken to several folks pulling 5th wheels very close in size to my class A.. We all get about the same MPG. The difference is when they unhook and drive the truck to town for that loaf of bread.. If they get 2x the MPG they are doing well, (though some hit 2.5x) I can get more like 4x to 5x.

And I drive the motor home one trip ... Then park it for .. Well, I'm hoping 3 months this spot but normally 2 weeks.. And drive the towed. for sight seeing and going to church (2x a week with choir practice) and shopping and such.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #8

Heartland RV Club
Welcome to the forum

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Wormbird! Welcome to the party! We're sure glad you joined us! Good luck on getting into fulltiming and finding the right rig! God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #10

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm so so excited. Wa for the info. Yes that is my first order of business to find one. It's only me and my other half no kids they are grown. So with that said I dont need a huge one but at the same time I don't want a shoe box. Starting off smaller to start money wise would be smarter. I have been most intriged to restore a vintage one. I have no idea why, but I have been looking at restoring and learning alot it will be easy to dig my hands into something and research restoring when I have one to restore. lol...
Can wait to share travels and pictures.
wormbird
wormbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #11

right on

wecome to irv2. there is alot good ole folks on these forums, wormbird. i retired in feb. i to got tired og getting up at 4am. so i said the hell w/it. we are full time. we bought a class 31ft classc. now we are alittle cramped for space. no kids just me and the other, raisin (the dog) and shaggy (always trying to get out cat).we are trying to trade for a class a. anyway,take your time,there is no hurry to go anywhere any more