Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

I'm Mary and I'm new

Hi,
I plan to buy and move into an RV full time in February. I am looking and I know what I want but I have a question that experienced owners will be able to answer. I know there will be different opinions that will provide me with means to make a decision.

The question is "What is more important; mileage or age?"

And "What do you think about buying a previous rental?"

Thanks so much.
Mary
Maemae5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Mary,

Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like you are doing good research before buying which is very smart.

Mileage or age? How it was taken care of was most important to us. Then mileage, then age. If it is only 4 yrs old and the PO (previous owner) did not take care of it than it is not worth buying.

Never buy a RV with a leaky roof and ceiling stains. Once it gets in unless you can completely fix that, it will always be a problem.

Rentals? Again condition but I personally would not buy a rental, there are too many good used units out there. Rentals often are not used gently and the owner hides problems to keep renting it.

Have you gone to any RV shows? They are everywhere. Go to dealerships and look around and spend some time in a rig. Class A, Class C, TT, check them all out and see what you think you want. Living it it will need plenty of storage.

Good luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Welcome; Mary, to iRV2.

Used and maintained ( service records ) beats stored and ignored.
There is a point where mileage is too high or too low, depends on a number of factors .
Questions.

Are you considering a Class A , or other type of RV ?
If class A, Gas or diesel ?

ExRental !
Old 09-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #4

Hi Mary Welcome to Irv2
If it's a diesel engine mileage isn't a big deal they will go 300,000 to 500,000 without a real problem but if it's gas that's another answer!!!! Secondly I wouldn't buy a rental (just my opinion) because too many different drivers possibly abused it---when one or two previous owners have it they usually take care of it but not so when it's rented out!!!! also if you list what type of RV it is such as name of brand and model type you will receive a lot more replies!!!!
Wishing all the best!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maemae5454 View Post
Hi,
I plan to buy and move into an RV full time in February. I am looking and I know what I want but I have a question that experienced owners will be able to answer. I know there will be different opinions that will provide me with means to make a decision.

Thanks so much.
Mary
Welcome to the RV world. Lots of great people and adventures out there.

It has been said many times. Condition is the biggest issue. How has it been maintained and operated is paramount.

Old means exactly that. While old is not bad it comes with less features and possibly outdated technology. Technology is not all that it is cracked up to be but it is fairly important. LED and digital television for example.

Buying a used RV I would try to buy something less than 10 years old. Generally mileage will not be an issue. Gas will be good for 100,000, diesel more if properly maintained. Check the tires for age.

Whatever you buy the floor plan, features and accessories should fit your needs and wants.

I would stay away from rental units. Generally rentals are lower end units and has been mentioned you have no idea how they were treated. Just think Robin Williams!

Where do you plan to full time? A well insulated unit is probably a good idea to be cool in the hot and warm in the cool.

Whatever you purchase have it inspected very well. Ignore the bling and look at the bones. Do both the box and the chassis.

Good luck in your search. If you find a unit you are interested in let us know specific questions and you will get answers.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and

I bought rental with ~30,000 miles on it. It was a Winnebago Chalet. It had been well maintained by the rental agency.

It was a 2009 that I bought in 2011. It is still running strong and I have not had any major issues with. I no longer use but my friend and his family use it frequently.

I decided I wanted a Class A so I let my friend use the Class rental I bought.

Condition is the major deciding factor. Age and mileage are both secondary.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:06 PM   #7

If you are going to full time in it then floor plan may be a primary factor before you tackle the other questions IMO. Do you travel light, or do you need to carry a lot of stuff may be another consideration. If you will have a lot of stuff then storage will be key which may mean a class A versus a Class C. Do you plan to tow a car? Maybe you have done this but defining your mission, which you have in part by saying full time, will establish your requirements which will then drive your final selection. That's my thought anyway. Have fun!

And the right rental might be the ticket if you have it inspected by a trained appraiser.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks so much.
Mary
Well, you will have to answer a few questions, first, before we can give you the best advice!
What part of the country are you from, and where will you be traveling to?
Will you be on the road all the time, or parked in a CG somewhere?
Will you be retired, or still working?
Ok, the reason for these questions are do you need a 4 season coach, or are you going to go south for the winter, north for the summer? You said starting this journey in Feb., which could be nice weather if you live in Fl. or Az. but nasty if you live in the north!
If full timing, most people are most happy with a class A MH, for the basement storage, the bigger tanks, and more inside storage! And with a diesel pusher "DP", you have a bigger towing capacity, longer driving range, diesel generator, and higher end interiors! There are some very nice gas MH's too, but they do not hold up quite as well as the DP, and the motors work a lot harder than say they were in a car or light truck! So a gas with over 100K would reason to walk away! But a 100K on a DP is nothing, just getting broken in!
As the others have said, buying a well loved coach, from 1 or 2 previous owners, is the best option, finding the right floor plan for you, is important also!
Finding a used rental that is in very good shape, well good luck with that one! Gordon said it best, watch the movie "RV" with Robin Williams, that should answer any question you might have on that subject!
Good luck with your search, there are some very nice older MH's for sale out there, enjoy, and when you find "The One" you will know it!
This site has a lot of info on it, and a lot of very good people, willing to help you with your search, or answer your question's when they come up! And they will come up, believe me! Rail!
Old 09-04-2016, 03:34 AM   #9

My 2 cents...tbe more time I take for any purchase, the happier I am with whatever it is. Especially large purchases.

I learn something everytime I look at one and the comparison factor is huge. Also, when when that great deal comes along, I can recognize it.

Can you go to Quartzsite in January before you buy anything? You will see many rigs and owners!
Old 09-04-2016, 05:22 AM   #10

More information

Thank you all for your thoughts. I plan on buying a class c motorhome to be lived in 6 plus months a year in Fl. I know what features I want for the interior and will spend up to $35k.

I will have storage nearby for my excess stuff.

It seems that an inspection and maintenance records are the most important.

More advice is welcome.

Mary
Maemae5454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:48 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mary! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig!

Mileage doesn't matter much on a diesel pusher, but pretty important on a gasser. As for age, it depends on the particular rig. We have a 2002 that we wouldn't swap for many new models!

I would NEVER buy a rental unit!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #12

Happy you're on the search for your new home! All good advice for purchasing your rig. Good luck finding it and have fun once you do.
jmzumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you all for your thoughts. I plan on buying a class c motorhome to be lived in 6 plus months a year in Fl. I know what features I want for the interior and will spend up to $35k.

I will have storage nearby for my excess stuff.

It seems that an inspection and maintenance records are the most important.

More advice is welcome.

Mary

Here are a couple pretty close to you:

http://www.lazydays.com/rvs/compare?...(480608,480195)

Lazy Days has such a big inventory, they are a great place to see lots of units.

We are going to be over on Melbourne Beach Jan-March.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #14

I was in the same situation, going full-time and purchased a class A while waiting for the house to sell. I believe the unit we bought was an ex rental from the information found under seats and in the large binder of manuals.

For us it had all the features we wanted, bunks for 2 1/2 yr old, 34', 2 slides on one side, automatic awaning, large fridge, full body paint etc. etc.. It has 73,000 miles on it and no matter how hard and how many times you look at it before purchasing, you will still miss alot.

To date I have put $3,000 into and will need another $2000 just to gives us some of the features we had in our home that we need in the RV. On top of this we will need to invest several thousand of dollars adding solar.

If I had been 100% sure it was a rental before I purchased, I more than likely would not have purchased it, but in saying that I thought I looked it over from top to bottom 3 times and have a good eye having experience with vehicles paint and body work, engines and I still missed alot.

I would recommend paying someone to inspect & test every inch of it and even doing an oil analysis which could save you many thousands of dollars down the road. I would also make sure you have several thousand dollars available if something does go wrong.