Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

Important - please read regarding campers inn !!

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ REGARDING CAMPERS INN !!

My husband and I purchased a used Class C Motor Home from Campers Inn and were told that it was in great condition, that a couple purchased the motor home and used it for a while and then sold it back to Campers Inn and traded for a bigger, better one.

Campers Inn told us they did a PDI on the Motor Home and was told that it was ready to go as it was purchased to drive from Florida to California. Frenchy from the Leesburg store told us there were new tires and everything was in working order.

We have just discovered that one tire is stamped 2086 meaning the tire was made the 20th week of 1986. Three others are from 2009 and two more are from 2011. We have also learned, after doing a PDI of our own that the brakes and calipers are completely worn/bad.

We ran the VIN at the NICB, 1FDXE40SXWHA39743 and have discovered that the RV is a total loss/salvage of which we were not told.

While I understand we should have checked out the RV better (we are newbies to RV’s) Campers Inn should never have let us drive off the lot with 28 year old tires and bad brakes. We are lucky to be alive.

They must have desperately wanted our money without any worry that we might die after leaving the lot, not to mention, they knew we were going on a 3,000 mile trip a few days later, which luckily for us got postponed.

We have called Campers Inn several times and Frenchy, the salesman just said “well, you bought a used car,” as if it is okay to sell someone a vehicle that is not sea worthy. Rich, the General Manger of the Leesburg store also said the same thing and kept repeating that as if it is okay in his mind to take money and send someone off to their death.

Nothing has been done by them and we have been forced to retain legal counsel.

Please rethink your decision about purchasing from this Company.

I am filing complaints with every consumer affairs office can find, including the BBB and all on-line fraud government offices.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #2

How can you tell when a salesman is lying? His mouth is moving.

If it's not in writing or in violation of law, sadly you are pretty much on your own.

Document all defects with photos and written statements from another shop if you are going to take legal action.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Old 05-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought my used RV the tires looked great at a cursory glance. However, after a few months I looked under the rig and discovered that the two inner dually tires as well as the spare tire were severely worn. Since my state inspection is due next month I plan to replace them before that time. But I learned that you have to check these things closely or else you will be in trouble later. I wish you the best in pursuing justice in this matter.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't forget yelp

BBB is a long running joke. The best place to 'get to' them is to post a review at www.yelp.com. There are probably specialized RV dealership review sites but new buyers typically don't know about them.

When we bought our first motorhome the owner and the financing manager tried to pull a fast one and re-sell our coach when I took it back for service. I filed a criminal complaint and it turned out that many such complaints had been filed before ours. Both of them went to jail.

I heard that as soon as they got out they started the same scam all over again in a different town, and went to jail again.

We witnessed the owner of yet another RV dealership being arrested for illegal business practices. Apparently he was no stranger to being arrested, knew the drill well.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Being in the automotive industry, I agree that the BBB is a joke. However, you were defrauded and I would start with the Attorney General in your state and also the Federal Trade Commission. Keep us posted how it goes.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkatz View Post
We have just discovered that one tire is stamped 2086 meaning the tire was made the 20th week of 1986.
Are you sure you're reading the right set of digits, and correctly?

Date codes on tires made before the turn of (this) century have only three digits, none of which indicate the decade of manufacture.

Here's the code on a pre-2000 tire

"408" is the date code..."40" being the week of the year, and "8" being the eighth year of the decade. No effort was made to say which decade since it was believed that folks would "know" that, I guess. more info here

Beginning in 2000 the system changed to the four digit system illustrated below, and the combination of digits you gave above doesn't make sense in this system...suggest you look again.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
Being in the automotive industry, I agree that the BBB is a joke. However, you were defrauded and I would start with the Attorney General in your state and also the Federal Trade Commission. Keep us posted how it goes.
Would agree totally about the BBB, completely different circumstance, but after all was said and done, I wanted to call the BBB on the BBB!!!
Old 05-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #8

Many states do have consumer protections against selling safety devices that are worn or damaged, such as tires or brakes, where the 'SOLD AS-IS' does not apply. At least doesn't apply to dealerships.

But your counsul will be the one that knows all about the laws for your state.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Old 05-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
So sorry that you were taken for a very rough and expensive ride! Hope you can get something done about this!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Old 05-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you get a title with the vehicle? Most states require a title. If they sold you the rig and did not disclose the salvage title, it would seem like you have recourse.
Good luck. Sorry for your problems.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #11

You didn't memtion what year, brand and how much it cost or what Campers Inn location you purchased it from. Have any pictures of the unit?
Old 05-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Since this is a Florida dealer, it is probably a Florida title. If the owner at the time of the accident had the vehicle repaired for his own use, despite the extensive damage, it would not have a salvage title issued. That would happen only if the insurance company bought the vehicle from the owner and sold it for salvage or scrapped it. Or it may have occurred in a state that does not flag titles as Salvage or similar wording, so the title the dealer received was not a salvage title. The dealer is obliged to inform the buyer of any information he has, but is not obliged to seek out previous history on the vehicle.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry to hear about you bad luck.
These surprises are never good.

We too bought from Campers Inn.
We did get a great price on what we bought and I thought some cosmetic items
needed more TLC then they stated, which I later found to be very true.
Mechanically all was good.
The local Ford dealer (E450 chassis) went over it before I bought it.

If you are talking about truthful disclosures, we have found
that about 25% of what they told us was true. Just like used car salesmen of old.

I firmly believe that "Buyer Beware" applies to RVs (new and used) more now than used cars.

When my father-in-law passed, they had an insurance policy that was to have
paid off their Class A if anything happened to either of them. The policy was written in Fl. The insurance company refused payment. One secretary even stated that they did not have enough money to pay it off! In effort to help the Mother-in-Law, I contacted the Fl. State Attorney General and the Fl. Insurance Commissioner. She and I received several phone calls from both the Attorney General's Office and the State Insurance Commissioner's Office.

Soon she had her money.

Fl. is usually good about helping the consumer. There was a link on the Fl. State web page. If it is not there, send a letter to the Attorney General's Office. They will contact you.

Good luck with your attorney.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too am a first time buyer and I was duped by a NH RV consignment dealer. I was told that a thorough inspection would be done prior to delivery by their competent staff of technicians. One of my mistakes was I completed the sales transaction prior to the PDI, so the rig was mine regardless of what I saw. The tech didn't know how to open the hood, this is where the engine oil dipstick is! It is a Winnebago on a Workhorse chassis. He didn't know what the grade brake was, he didn't know about the leveling system having multiple control stations and he was their expert. It was February in NH and vey cold. A storm was in the forecast the day I bought our motorhome. I am at fault for being careless when I first saw the Winnebago and didn't inspect everything as I should have before writing a check for deposit, but I felt comfortable with the salesman and accepted his assurance that the Mh would be thoroughly inspected and deficiencies corrected prior to delivery. I did get a new shower stall and all of the domestic systems were functioning and ready to go. All domestic systems we're demonstrated and rewinterized. I got lucky, my mechanic changed the oil and greased the chassis. He told me that a recall was already done and I had new brakes all around. My tires are old but they are OK. I bought the extended warranty and hope I never need it. I know next time will be different!