Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Go for it. Sounds and looks okay. Step on the brakes if it stops a big plus. Let up on peddle if it rolls in drive double plus means brakes are working. Check for keaks under rv gas line and transmission leaks. Perhaps check maintenance records if available. Check sewer outlets for easily moveing handles.
Good luck go for it!

Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #16

I agree that you need to check the age of the tires and not the remaining tread. RV tires will almost always age out before they wear out.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #17

Thanks for all of the help guys. We drove a total of 4 hours today to look at this RV. We were there for 2 hours too. I did not come home with it ... everything was ok... there was definitely some water damage which they said was old but still... it didn't look great but everything else was good... and then I took it on a test drive and every time I got up to about 55 or 60 it cut out completely and then I slowly got back down to about 30 and then the RPMs would go through the roof and start speeding up again. I am not mechanically inclined and it definitely felt like a crazy problem. Then I figured out half of the lights wouldn't turn on. Then they said they had never put propane in it or used the fernace or the bathroom or had water in it?!?!?!?! They told me everything worked before I drove 2 hours to get there and then they say they've not even used half of the stuff. I was pretty upset considering I had my 7 year old with autism with me and my baby. 4 hours in the car for all of that. Couldn't believe it! So there was my rant..

(sigh) if anyone knows of an RV around $3000 with 100 miles or so of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, let me know! Thanks again guys!
Ben Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Pike View Post
ANY RV ADVICE IS COMPLETELY WELCOME HERE! I want to soak in knowledge! Is there anything that RV's are known to have problems with that I should check right away or anything along those lines?
Check all of the appliances for operation. Furnace should blow heat, AC should blow cold (55 degrees if I recall correctly), water heater should get water hot, water pump should pump water (see if it cycles when just sitting, could indicate a leak), fridge should get cold.

Check shower, water taps, etc.

Check all of the light switches, etc you can find. Does something turn on when you do the switch? Ask if you do not see a result. Same for the controls on the dash. Does dash air work, heater, check all switches.

Run some water in the holding tanks. Is there a facility close by you can dump?

Ask to be shown how to fill water tanks, how to dump tanks.

How to check oil (engine and transmission), and check coolant level.

Does cruise control work, windshield wipers and washer. High/low beams.

In essence try everything you can get your hands on.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #19

Check fluids, tires, make sure compartment doors are closed and locked, Awning is latched up tight, i had one come open on the highway its no fun! Looks in good shape always check the tv antenna is lowered before driving!

Willystwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, ford, help purchasing, jayco, newbie