Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I forgot to say if you are outside and can't see the side mirrors on the RV the driver can't see you, that's pretty basic but most people forget and always be on the "inside turn" side of the RV.

Ron

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #16

Remember when starting to tow the toad. Never never back with it!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Peggy! Welcome to IRV2.

Like any other adventure, you will experience the occasional misstep. These are the things that make an adventure, an adventure, and like the rest of us you will learn to work around them.

If you plan to cook in your coach then take the things from you kitchen that you use the most. You know, the "must have" items. For us that included the coffee maker, crock pot and toaster oven broiler.

I agree with staying within 10 miles of home (and your RV dealership, if that's where you bought your coach) for the first couple of trips. That way you can run home if you forgot anything and should also have support from your RV dealer if you have any issues with any of your coaches many systems.

You should also pack some basic tools. What you will need will highly depend on how mechanically inclined you and your husband are.

"The Next Exit", was a good choice if you plan to travel the Interstates. We have a copy and use it all the time. We also use the Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas, Passport America guide and RV Park Reviews :: Home.

While many campgrounds offer free WiFi, we don't depend on it because in many cases it's just not reliable. We both have smart phones that have both 3G and 4G LTE capability. We use the PdaNet app from June Fabrics PDA Technology Group to tether the phones to our laptops and access the internet that way. There are other ways to accomplish this also which I'm sure other members will reveal.

That's all I have for the moment. Good luck with your new coach and new adventures.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Peggy & Paul! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have some more "oldies but goodies" like us on the forums!

We got our first Class A DP about 4 months ago and just got back from a 6000 mile trip out west. We were gone 8 weeks. We had a 5th wheel for 11 year before getting the MH, so it has been a real challenge, but we're getting there.

I follow this forum and also RV.Net, and usually post the same questions on both forums. I don't see anything wrong with that since some people only follow one or the other and we want as many answers as possible.

Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #19

New to you RV

Peggy,I always make out a menu for camping. Then I shop for groceries and cook as much as possible at home where you have plenty of water and a dish washer. Many ites for cooking can be purchased at the dollar store or garage sales. I agree it is better to have cooking utensils left in the RV. Do an internet search for camping items to pack. When you are ready to eat you can reheat in the microwave or oven. This gives you more time to relax and enjoy camping. Seal a meal bags and steam bags are nice. I make a packing list for last minute items such as Rx ect. Once you making a menu list or last items packing list you can make copies and use them for each trip. Take along a note book to make notes for anything you forgot or want to add. Don't forget a flashlight. I even have a junk drawer for rubberbands,small sewing kit,superglue,JB Weld,Eyeglass repair kit,extrahardwear,batteries and some other items. Duct tape,scotch tape and some items that escape my memory. Have fun and remember if you forget anything essential you can always ask a friendly neighbor for matches.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #20

Peggy - We have been RV'ing across the USA and Canada for the last 6 years and we have found the "Trailer Life Directory RV Parks and Campgrounds" an invaluable reference. It is the official Good Sam Club directory, and has been generally very accurate and complete. To us this is a must have reference.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trav lin

Hi there and welclome to our world. The only thing I will suggest it this. If you are here then you have a computer. I make a file and list everything I have to (not) forget and then a list for the real boss. After each trip I either add or delete to the list and print it out for each trip. One of the things that I put on the list not to forget is "The List".
Old 06-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #22

What an awesome group!
I ordered the Trailer Life Directory today since I saw many recommended it. I will have my laptop and can use some of the many sites recommended as well as one of the map sites for planning.

When it comes to electronic gadgets other than my computer I'm out of my depth. There are so many new ones now. I'll have to try find out more about the smart phones. Is that a brand, or a generic name for phones available from different providers?

I remember reading a little about tethering the phones to the laptop, a few years ago. I'll be looking for the most budget friendly way to access the internet. We would only need one phone for access, I think?

Our cell phone provider is Verison. Which would be the best forum to find information about connectivity? Are there websites with explanations for the technically challenged?

I think we should to to a huge parking lot and practice backing up! When it comes to that my husband is a lot more savvy than I am. I read some of the messages about parking to him and he knew what you meant on things like the "inside turn" side of the RV. We are planning on a few short stays without towing the car to get more comfortable before the next step.

Thank you everyone for the wealth of information you are sharing. Its late now, but tomorrow I will go back through all the posts and make lists of all your recommendations. It's hard to believe how fast the time is going by. My husband's friends assure him that after a few trips it will seem much easier.
Peggy
Old 06-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #23

I just found the "Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc" forum. Will spend time there tomorrow!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bells View Post

When it comes to electronic gadgets other than my computer I'm out of my depth. There are so many new ones now. I'll have to try find out more about the smart phones. Is that a brand, or a generic name for phones available from different providers?

I remember reading a little about tethering the phones to the laptop, a few years ago. I'll be looking for the most budget friendly way to access the internet. We would only need one phone for access, I think?

Our cell phone provider is Verison. Which would be the best forum to find information about connectivity? Are there websites with explanations for the technically challenged?

Peggy
No worries. You can get your best results from posting technology questions in our Technology Forum located here Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. - iRV2 Forums. And don't feel bad about not understanding today's gadgets. I worked >30 years in the high tech industry... retired seven years ago... and I'm so outdated already I can't believe it. Things just move so quickly.

A Smartphone is a generic term for cell phones which can connect with the internet and has a robust set of features. I think all providers sell them along with "data plans"... which is a marketing way of saying they sell you a certain amount of "internet data usage". This isn't so much how much time you spend on the web but more how much data you transmit back and forth.

Feel free to post your questions in the technology forum.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote