Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Question Intro. Older couple; almost new rvers. Questions.

Sometimes I'm afraid we are taking on more than we can handle. Four years ago we bought a Roadtrek and took a three week trip. My husband couldn't stand the confined space so we sold it. I missed it so much that he started looking for a larger unit. Because of some hip/back problems I needed lots of leg room and we needed a walk around bed that didn't need to be put away and taken out every day.

Limited us to a diesel pusher so we found a used class A 34' in top condition. I -Peggy- am excited and a bit scared. Husband - Paul -has a lot more confidence and is learning a lot of tips from friends before we take off.

I need to ask opinions on which campground guide is most essential (after "Next Exit," which I just bought.) Also am looking for lists such as essentials to outfit the kitchen and RV and what to pack. First trips will be short, getting feet wet. Aiming for a longer trip in Sept when we will pull the car for maybe the first time. I'm not sure what forum to post these questions in.

One more question. I would like to join two or three forums. Is it bad etiquette to ask the same question on more than one forum?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #2

Welcome! I can't answer any of your questions but the one about forums. I've looked at several, but this is the best, and many of the IRV2ers are on the other forums as well.
Enjoy your MH!!!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Peggy! I am excited for you and the adventures to come. We have a tendency to go on long trips and because of that I may not be the best person to ask about what to pack. A lot will depend on what you will be doing too. Will you be cooking most of your meals or eating out a lot? I am a kitchen gadget girl; Keurig, blender,kitchen aid, toaster and the list just keeps going...............so my advise is to figure out what your plan is and then try to delete anything that you can be with out. Somethings will do double duty. A short trip will help you figure out if you have everything you might want.

And I am pretty sure there are threads that will help you out more.

Anyway welcome!
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new to you purchase and hope you really enjoy it. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #5

My only previous RV experience was renting van conversion campers in the '60s to go to car races. 18 months ago we bought a nice used 37 foot DP for our "dream trip" around the USA. The learning experience - both the driving and all the equipment on the RV - was "interesting". This forum has been very helpful. Also, reading the manuals a few times really helps.

I would go easy on purchasing equipment until you have some experience. We went a bit overboard, and it's now time for a yard sale...............

Enjoy the adventure.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #6

Howdy and welcome aboard. Glad you joined us and hope you enjoy the site.

Van.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Peggy and welcome to the forum!

Don't get too worried about taking on more than you can handle. Just take things a step at a time and post your questions here on the forum Lots of folks here who have been through it and are willing to help out.

You can post questions like "what should I pack for the kitchen" in the "General Discussion" forum or even the "Class A" forum. Once you get familiar with the different forums we have it'll become second nature to you.

Please don't post the same question in more than one place here on iRV2. We don't allow that because it really tends to clutter up the entire site... not to mention the fact that me and my other volunteer staff members here are the ones who have to go in and delete duplicate posts so it makes more work for us.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #8

Rick, thanks for the tips on the best forums to post to. I wasn't thinking of double posting in the same group, but there are couple other forum websites that look like people are friendly and if lots of people on this forum are on the other two, they might get tired of my questions.

This forum was at the top of my list. I looked around and couldn't find one that seemed more friendly and willing to help newbies than you are. I am really greatfull for all the welcome messages!

Sohap, we are planning to take short overnight, then two day, then three day trips this summer, planning for a longer two or three week trip in September. Then hopefully doing some major touring starting in November if we feel ready. Since we are northerners it would be nice to get away before major snow hits.

Will be cooking mostly in the MH. I know I'm bringing my vitamix, coffee pot, toaster and the necessary dishes and kitchenware I can think of right now. Would like to bring my pressure cooker but I wish I could find one with a smaller base for the gas burners in the MH. Tomorrow, I'll ask in one of the other forum divisions if there are suggestions. I know from last time we forgot some things on our maiden voyage, like a fly swatter, and had to do some shopping. Wish I'd saved my lists!

bluepill, thanks for the chuckle. I wish we'd kept the things from our little class B, but we had that yard sale you're talking about and have to start over.

Thanks so much for the welcome. I'm trying hard to focus on looking forward to travel and not worry about the "what if's" and such. Don't want to forget essentials but maybe the only things we might need for emergencies are the weather radio and first aid kit.

Thank you again for your encouraging messages!
Peggy
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Peggy,
Congrats on you new motorhome, I'm sure you are going to have many enjoyable trips. We have the standard kitchen stuff, toaster, blender, coffee pot, etc. We are very careful on the size of our bar-b-q, propane tank for the barby, chairs, and anything we pack in the lower compartments. We put our motorhome on a diet every two to three years, we don't full time yet and it is amazing how much stuff finds it's wat in the RV and never gets used. Like Bluepill says read the manuals, my Wife reads novels and I read the manuals, she looks at me and just shakes her head but when we have a problem with one of the RV systems I can fix or correct the problem 90% of the time.

Ron
Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Peggy and welcome! If possible, try a weekend "camp out" in your driveway. Use only the stuff in the motorhome. You will figure out right away the "must have" items that you have forgotten. (Tape, glue, scissors, can opener, plastic baggies, etc, etc.) Most of us tended to OVERPACK at first, and ended up taking stuff OUT of the RV!! Good luck and have fun.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #11

Thanks for the tips, Ron. Since It's difficult for me to bend to the lowest storage, that's where the less used stuff (or my husband's stuff) will go. I've read some of the manual. Need at least to learn how to stand behind and direct him when he is backing into a spot. Memory isn't like it used to be so maybe I'll make up a cheat sheet for the signals.

I'll be handling the "where will we stay" end when traveling. He's computer phobic. trying to think of a good search term to ask about net access while traveling.

Sarah, I'd be happy camping very close (driveway too steep) but husband is set on going at least two hours away to make it "worthwhile." So I guess we'll have to make do. Think I'll do a go through in my house to see what is there that we will likely need. I'm terrified I'll forget the fly swatter again!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Peggy, welcome to the group. We took our first trip to a CG 10 miles from home. We were able to run home if we forgot anything, or to Walmart. I bought alot of things I could leave in the camper such as coffee maker, dishes, silverware, pots and pans etc. What a pain lugging everything in and out of the house. You will have it all figured out in no time. So enjoy your MH, and all the great trips you will be taking.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What you need/carry with you for kitchen etc depends on your own needs/wants/preferences. Campground guides are kind of the same. We use RV Park Reviews :: Home the most, along with Microsoft Streets & Trips (S&T) computer mapping program as I plan routes. S&T campgrounds locations are from Woodalls I think. The only printed directory we use is Passport America. I will normally do a quick internet search for "rv parks town-name" if I don't see what I want in the other sources.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Peggy,
When we are parking the RV we both get out of the RV and look over the site and where we want to "put" the RV, both of us looking at roof and slide clearance along with hookup locations. We have the hand signals down pat since we owned an airplane at one time and my Wife helped me park it but we purchased a set of walkie talkies so I can ask her questions, we have a backup camera with a speaker but it distorts the view so I use mirrors and I can hear her but can't ask her a question so that's why we purchased the walkie talkie. When looking over the parking spot we decide where we want one corner of the RV and that is the spot where my Wife stands which gives some direction and about the only time she has to talk to me on the walkie talkie is when we have a clearance problem. Also when we enter a camping area and someone is parking their RV and they are blocking the entrance road I usually tell them to take their time because I'm not in a hurry because I don't want them to rush and damage their RV.

Ron