Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #1

Introduction, also requesting for advice

Hello Everyone,

Since we have already decided to become another member of the RVing community...decided to let all my prospective neighbors, hopefully soon to be friends!
more then a little about where I stand today as we wake up to a nightmare that we are committing into making it into a grand adventure full of blessings and mercies.

Well here is my story (will try it to make it short as possible)

I knew that financially things where getting a bit tight so as any homemaker will do when moment like this arises, coincidentally as I started to cut corners moved to a smaller house, became very proficient at making just about anything that has to do with home or cooking from scratch. As I educate myself and realize the importance of less chemicals in well everything! Started race against what now appears inevitable. As I saw the storm cloud gather my husband being the optimistic always hoping for thing to get better and just chugging along is a true miracle worker! Here is why

two weeks ago as I saw that no amount of cutting corners was really helping to get us even a bit up-float, I asked to look at the bank account and current expenses...Let me tell you as I did some quick math...let's just say my body did a lot of functions at the same time.

So as I got an ice bucket of water run through me...I still don't know how my husband has being managing! A circus juggler couldn't have done it better! And keep it mostly unnoticeable as to the extent of the situation.

So as my mind was boggle ( to say the least)

found myself with a tough question to asked of my husband..and that was to look at reality as it stood facing us at this moment. Having to face reality while giving husband a reality check was not fun nor easy for the both of us, also a lot of healing happened between us and our family.

Thankfully we aren't in dept but close to teetering over, so since is either lose it all or give it all up for us now...we decided on the latter, of course now that the big decision is made we start with the challenges and treasure hunting!

It's my hope that you all share some of your hard earned wisdom of the IRving life with us! We are students in a place full of teachers and am honor to not just read but intently listen to your responses.

Thank you for taking your time to read and share with us!

So the challenge/treasure hunts is

base money to start little less then $16,000US “COH”
most if not all of the money will go into buying a MH leaning towards class C to start..(any comments or where to start looking of the best way to get the best bang for the little amount of bucks we have will be appreciate)

less then 3 months to get it done or start to pay from the base money

As the financial situation appears most of our stuff will take months to sell and it'll take a lot to put on storage. Most can be taken care of just by giving it away and giving most valuables to family to hold or sell later. This also means there is no more money to come in for the time being to add to the base either.

Join workamper, to start looking at possibilities as have the same amount of time to try to figure out an itinerary, campsite for go date, also thinking about joining escappees (what is the best state?), husband have permanent job so a campsite close to his work can be another option as we bank.

*All written in priority order*

Thank you so much again...can't wait to “read” your response as it's a challenge that my family is happily willing to take as in some/most way is full of adventures.

Starting NOW!
LOL!!!

P.S if I sound/read like am all over the place is cause well AM! lol! decisions decisions decisions everywhere I look...(wonder if this is what an event manager feels like?) lol!
RosePetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Rose Petal,

Interesting story! With you starting capital, any affordable MH is a fixer-upper at best and will require ongoing liquidity to maintain and repair. With the need to stay close for DH's work, you will probably not be traveling much. You do not say where you live, climate permitting, a good used Travel Trailer is probably more the ticket for the time being. A decent used one can be had, used for a few years and resold with little loss in depreciation.

Look on-line or in the Yellow pages for campgrounds near your DH's work and start calling. Ask about work camping or long term rentals. Sometimes based on financial needs, it is better to get a low monthly rate and a job verses work camping.

Other than the above, good luck on the lifestyle and welcome to the RV world.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi RosePetals,

Well, you have accomplished the biggest hurdle, and that is to take the leap of faith into the RV lifestyle. There are those that decide for lack of something better to do, there are others that have waited their entire working career to enjoy the lifestyle and then there are those that are forced into it financially. My neighbors recently lost their house and are now living in a 5th wheel. They couldn't be happier and plan to Workamp once they retire in 5 years.

Regarding what you have available to spend, I concur with Jim in that you most likely will need to look at Travel Trailers, TT's. Look for an excellent second hand one either at a dealer or a private party who is looking to upgrade to something else. TT's at dealers are probably a dime a dozen so whatever you do, don't get taken by a dealer. Play hardball with them, negotiate, and don't overspend as the RV market is very depressed and rigs are not moving like IHOPS pancakes.

Look at floor-plans and storage, TT's with slide-outs will definitely give you more living area. That will most likely be the deciding factors in what you finally decide on purchasing. I had a neighbor some time ago that purchased a TT shortly after selling their house when the housing market was at its peak. They sold it so quickly that they had not made other living arrangements, so they bought a TT with one slide-out. One day while over visiting with me and sitting in the living area of my coach, they asked how I could afford such a nice coach, and I said that I couldn't but if I was going to live in it full-time for the next upteen years, I wanted to be comfortable. Well since then, they have purchased three motor homes after their TT. Their last one was a 40 foot luxury Cross Country and as far as I know they still have that one.

However, the point from that story is, when you start looking, don't buy just anything or the first thing that you see out of desperation. Do your research, look and look and look. Try to buy the best RV for your dollar and get the most RV for your dollar. In the long run, it may not be your last one, but it will be a good place to start. If buying a TT, then you will also need a tow vehicle. Make sure your TV is capable of towing the TT with all of the additional weight put into it. Or you could forget the Tow Vehicle and if you plan to stay put for a long time, have someone else tow the trailer into the site.

Also, depending on what RV park you end up staying at, you may also have an outside storage shed to help out with additional "stuff" that won't fit into your rig.

Most RV parks will offer a discounted rate for full time tenets versus the normal daily rate. Not sure what the local codes are for full time tenets where you are but the RV park I am currently located at has a monthly lease and a variety of rules and regulations.

Good luck and Happy RVing.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm just not sure what the personal and cultural (I think there is a huge cultural obsticle to overcome) roadblock is... Why do not millions more do full-timing?

Go forward... Don't look back

We make our decisions and then our decisions make us.

Get the biggest, baddest thing you can afford. Don't waste inching up and then look back and think, we couldv'e been doing that all along.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote