Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 05:24 AM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
That is why God invented airplanes. 1100 in a day in a DP, not for me. Our normal day is limited to 300, 500 if I am out running the weather and 150 is more fun. I retired so I didn't have to do 1100...
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Being young allows such driving.

In my 30s I would regularly pull my TT from Baltimore, MD to Springfield, IL 20.5 hours cruising at 70 to 75. Last week we drove back from Pigeon Forge, TN - 600 miles - which was 12.5 hours on the road. Boy were we tired - age is showing.

Working full time and rving on the side sometimes requires long days in the saddle but look forward to enjoying the trip - see the scenery and enjoy.

Richard
Old 09-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought there should be a reminder here that in the US truck drivers have time regulations. It's worth considering if you are going to drive a large rig a long distance.
"Drivers may work no more than 60 hours on-duty over seven consecutive days. Drivers may be on duty for up to 14 hours following 10 hours off duty, but they are limited to 11 hours of driving time. Drivers must take a mandatory 30-minute break by their eighth hour of coming on duty." If your curious look up the dot regulations.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #74

Back in June '75, I drove from San Jose CA to Moline IL, 2000 miles almost exactly, in 40 hours, in my Fiat 124 wagon. It was high tech. No cruise, but it had a lockable hand throttle. I recall I did try to sleep in the car in a rest area for 4 or 5 hours somewhere in the middle.

I was 19, young, foolish, and "invincible". And there was a girl involved...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:09 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbezemek View Post
I thought there should be a reminder here that in the US truck drivers have time regulations. It's worth considering if you are going to drive a large rig a long distance.
"Drivers may work no more than 60 hours on-duty over seven consecutive days. Drivers may be on duty for up to 14 hours following 10 hours off duty, but they are limited to 11 hours of driving time. Drivers must take a mandatory 30-minute break by their eighth hour of coming on duty." If your curious look up the dot regulations.
Doesn't matter, they are not regulated by any rules.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #76

Four Hours unless there is weather coming in. We're retired and don't have a serious schedule. You'll learn to relax once you start full timing.
kssme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #77

Thor Owners Club
In the early ‘60s stationed at Ft Carson, Co. and a dumb 18, I drove ~1100 mi to Chicago & 1100 mi back JUST to see a girlfriend on a weekend. (On 2 lane US 24 and/or US 36 to US 66). Now 200 mi on an interstate is a fun day. Peter
Old 09-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #78

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess you did what you had to.

As posted above most of us average about 63-65 mph, 50-55 mph average clock time at end of day. The most I did in one day was 11 hours, never again. I don't have to be anywhere that bad to risk an accident. Our typical hauling days are around 5-6 hours of driving time per day. Some days we'll just move a bit (1-2 hrs) to do something else.

Glad you made it home in one piece.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #79

as a young and dumb 26 year old, we drove a 1986 Camaro non stop from Detroit to Winnipeg *1830 on google map*
NEVER in a truck puling any kind of trailer...
BlueRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #80

Yes 1100 is a long day! My max without sleeping was 1350 from the Omaha area to Vegas for the SEMA show and that was after days of no sleep, but we made it with a half hour to spare to get the truck in the booth. I hope I never have to put myself through that again!
BigAirT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymat View Post
Thank you all for your feedback! Great stories!

The best I’ve ever done is the Kessle Run in under 12- no wait, that was Han Solo…

Seriously, the only other 2 times I’ve done such a long trip is from Bowling Green KY to home in Denver (about 1150 miles) but in several hours less time (I’m not telling!). We did those trips in a 2002 Corvette in one stint only stopping 2 or 3 times. The Vette is comfortable and easy to drive and got an amazing 33MPG on those trips.

As TeJay astutely pointed out, we averaged 53MPH on this run in the coach. I had the cruise set at 65 but with our few stops, some city traffic, hills and the lost cell phone detour, I thought 53MPH overall was not too bad. The comfort of the coach is entirely different than the Vette but it is easy to drive now that I’m used to it.

In contrast, however, our recent trip home from Salt Lake City seemed endless at only 500 miles. I look forward to retirement where I hope to be “rich in time” and don’t need to be anywhere by any time!
__________________________________________________ __________
Someone in my family would have to be at death's door for me to tackle a run like that in any vehicle. Holy Smoke! I would have been so stiff I wouldn't have been able to walk for a week.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #82
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Congrats on the new rig! As for the mileage, you do what you have to do! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #83

When I was stationed in Biloxi in the Air Force, we drove the 1300 miles home to Pa in under 24 hours when on leave. First was in a 53 Chevy, then a 57 Chevy Nomad station wagon. There were no Interstates at that time. Didn't want to waste leave time.

Now, with the motorhome, I'm comfortable driving 600+ ,miles a day. But that's all.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #84

that's a lot of driving time, I couldn't do it. plus the thought of maybe falling asleep at the wheel, scary. I think I would have called my employer and explained the situation and see if you could have an extra day.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote