Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cool Joe

Hi I'm trying to log on for first time I joined late last year but was just getting familiar with cyberworld. My youngest girl gave me her old iPad and shoved me into the 21st century! Anyhow I'm still typing with one finger but slowly figuring things out. My wife and I are longtime alaskans,we've had motorhomes 35 outa 36 years we've been married so this forum seems pretty cool to me. I'm a retired teamster, and drove trucks since I was 20 or so she's a stay at home mom but we've never traveled in the lower 48 much so I'm sure some of you folks are gonna come in handy! My question,if I mite,is this iPad is wi-fi & only works at my home and I've just got a regular ACS phone were limited companies to choose from here in Wasilla. ACS & ATT is pretty much it! We went to Mass.and picked up a 38V bounder last Sep. And took it down to Fl. To my sister in laws place and now I'm heading out the 19 th to bring it home!pretty shrewd waiting for gas to pass gold in price but never the less goin anyway. If anyone could offer suggestions what I should get for communications for traveling smart phone or whatever I'd sure appreciate it!next response won't be this windy I primes as it took me a half hour to type this haha. Thanks Joe in Alaska.
Joe rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #2

Welcome fellow iPad user :-). I always typed with one hand ( finger pecker) so the iPad came easy for me ( kinda ).
I'm not too up on the communication stuff, I'm sure someone will pipe up. I did want to say that there are some great apps you can load on the iPad to help on your travels, Link.
Hope that helps a little, see ya out there.
Erika
Old 03-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the site. Have a great trip back home and congrats on the new to you purchase. I'll let someone else comment of communication as we have only cell phones and our Verizon for internet connections. It has worked for us for sure. Hope you enjoy all your travels as I'm sure you will. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Joe! Welcome. I too will pass on the communication question. I have an old fashion cell phone. All it is good for is to call people......go figure. I use Verizon mi-fi for internet on my laptop. Safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If your "I" thingy has a USB port pick up a MagicJack and run the setup. You can call anywhere from up where you are all the way to Puerto Rico and there's no long distance charges. Almost everywhere we stop the is free wifi so that's all you need to hook up and make calls.

Denise and I use our MJ all the time and we would recommend one as a travel unit.

A belated to you, don't wait another year to post again.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. I can't help you with the commo question either, but I'll buy the coffee if you want to stop by while you on your way back from Florida. Safe travels.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Joe,

There are other Alaskans on here so your are not alone in the cold.

The iPad built with only the Wireless capability, will of course only find WiFi hot spots. If you have a cell phone that is hotspot capable the iPad will connect to it, then to the Internet. Just remember that this will eat up your minutes, depending on the cell phone plan.

We have the original iPad with WiFi/3G. One thing about the iPad is that if WiFi is turned on, the default communications will be through WiFi if it is available. If it is not available, then 3G will try to connect through the cell tower. I'm assuming from your post that you do not have 3G, but you said you hadd AT&T. That is the service I use for both my 3G and for:

MiFi. With the MiFi device from AT&T you will be able to access the Internet using the iPad in any location where there is an AT&T cell signal. With the MiFi you can connect up to 5 WiFi devices to the Internet through MiFi, so if you have a Laptop or other WiFi device for the travelers with you, they will also be able to connect through MiFi.

The AT&T MiFi plan for 5Gb is about $50 a month. I use it for my Laptop 99% of the time as I find the WiFi hotspots at campgrounds slow on most occasions.

If you have any other questions, there are a bunch of us on here that "know it all." Ask away.

p.s., I don't like "air typing" so when I get my "new iPad" i'm going to get one of those blue tooth keyboards designed with a nice case for my "new iPad."

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Alaskajoe

Thanks so much for taking the time to help!I actually have ACS but my contracts up so I can get the deal on a new phone or change carriers w-out penalty so your info is a great help! I'll make some inquiries but I no what I'm trying to get at thanks to you!have a good day & thanks again. Joe Rule
Old 04-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe

I think I thanked you Wayne just in case thanks again!thought I sent it but it says I didn't haha Joe
Old 04-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe rule View Post
I think I thanked you Wayne just in case thanks again!thought I sent it but it says I didn't haha Joe
Joe, don't worry about the computer saying you didn't thank Wayne. Even the computer system doesn't like Wayne; after a short time of being on the board you will figure that out too.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe

Thanks possum I'll make note of that haha. Waynes from Alaska though so he's gotta be ok!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Joe, don't worry about the computer saying you didn't thank Wayne. Even the computer system doesn't like Wayne; after a short time of being on the board you will figure that out too.
You are just upset because we "got to you" on another thread. (Thanks Cliff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe rule View Post
Thanks possum I'll make note of that haha. Waynes from Alaska though so he's gotta be ok!
No, no, no Joe. I said there were other people on here from Alaska. Lord-o-mercy, anything below 70 degrees is freezing for me!

Just keep the praise coming Joe, and I'll answer anything. I'm not "up-tight" like Possum.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wayne, I hope you like quality single malts because we're going to kill a bottle or two when we eventually meet. I like your style, or maybe it's the lack thereof I like?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Joe and welcome
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote