Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #1

Just bought 1st RV

Hi: I am from near Toronto and bought our firust RV. Quite basic, 8' used popup. Are we going to put it aside for a while? Nope! in a few weeks we are taking a trip to S. Dakota and Nebraska. Last 5 years we have been tenting but it's quite cumbersome to assemble and dissassemble our tent every day since we take roadtrips.

We had tried RVing before by renting a popup, Class C and Class A.
RickCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Rick: WELCOME to this iRV2 forum. Wife and I sold all (home & stuff) in Duluth, MN back in 2005 and have been full timing ever since. Been having a great time.

Where ya headed in South Dakota? We're in Mitchell area for awhile visiting family but will be headed West to the Black Hills after the Sturgis Bike Week is over. It's a little too crowded till then.

Enjoy your new pop up, it'll sure be alot easier than the old tent set up routine (did both in the past). Have a great trip, and again. WELCOME!!

Steve & Lynette
Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2.com! I have found this site to be one of the friendliest, most helpful RV sites out there. As a tent camper for 20 some years before I bought my firts RV, I can tell you that your pop up will be quite a step up from tent camping.

Use it a lot, and enjoy!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #4

Welcome Rick, You will find this both a friendly and informative forum. We did the Pop-up thing for a short time and then worked our way up. If you have tented for a while, you will love the Pop up. Enjoy....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #5

I think my eventual goal will be to work up to a 5th. That's when I retire and want to travel around N. America. I will also have to buy a proper tow vehicle.

thanks for your warm welcomes.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick, we started with a pop-up also, enjoyed it very much, but continueing to attend our Texas Boomers Rallies, it was apparent a bigger unit was needed. We moved up to our present T/T 33' with a slideout really like it. Hopefully someday we will move to a super C or Class A. Welcome to the irv2 family, enjoy your pop-up.
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Yup, you're on your way. We did the tent thing for several years, rented a popup, then bought an ancient and very small TT, then a newer slightly bigger (had a toilet) one, then a bigger new one, then a motor home, a 5th wheel, and now back to the motor home. I think in boating they refer to it as 'two foot itis'. You're excited about what you have, for a while, and then start thinking -- "If only....".

Happy trails!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. We lived in Thornhill for 2 years...very cold tow years for this SE Texas boy. We too started out in a pop up after tent camping. At time we still miss the little pop up, then we remember the A/C, the nice beds, shower and all the nice things.

Have fun.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Where ya headed in South Dakota? We're in Mitchell area for awhile visiting family but will be headed West to the Black Hills after the Sturgis Bike Week is over.

Steve & Lynette
Thanks for the nice welcome everyone. I haven't yet completely planned the trip but probably head west via Sioux falls to Black hills and then past that to Devil's Tower. Going east I will hope to travel via Nebraska and Iowa.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Welcome to iRV2. We lived in Thornhill for 2 years...very cold tow years for this SE Texas boy. We too started out in a pop up after tent camping. At time we still miss the little pop up, then we remember the A/C, the nice beds, shower and all the nice things.

Have fun.

Ken
Hey! We visited TX the first time last Xmas. Eastern area, Houston, San antonio, Galveston, Twin cities, Hill country etc. No trailer though, used Priceline. If we need an AC I guess we can buy a portable one. I am sure the bed in the Popup will still be better than the tent with mattress. I can't justify anything better yet for just 2 weeks a year use.