Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #1

Just bought a 38' 2000 Newmar Dutch Star New to this

Hello all, Im Rob And my wife is Phylis, we traded a 32' 07 camper for our Newmar, we have been looking at a bunch of different class A's Diesel pushers for quite some time, i could not afford a new unit but i feel like we got a good deal with a Spartan chasis coach with 65000 miles on it Everything is in real good condition, we are planning a trip to KY from Western Michigan the end of this week, wish me luck.

Rob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on your New To You Dutchstar. That is a very nice MH and it was a realiable engine and chassis combination. It's only starting to get broken in with 65K on it. Do you regular maintenance and it should serve you well for a long time. One thing you may want to check is the date code on the tires, that is important on a MH.

Again we wish you well and good luck on your first adventure, may you and your family enjoy your Dutchstar for many years.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #3

Thanks Jim, the tires were new 2 years ago, I donít know how many miles they have on them since then but they look brand new, it is amazing how much info there is for the reading on sights like this.
My wife canít get a half hour away from the house without her head bobbin, now she can go stretch out if she wants, we are really looking fwd to taking trips now,
I am responsible for the operation and maintenance of a fleet of Tug barge units and some ships, so I have been doing all the research I can about all the serviceable equipment on this coach, unfortunately there was no service records left when they traded up for another Newmar, so basically I am changing everything (fluid/filters) engine, transmission generator air dryer etc, cost me some bucks, but at least I have some piece of mind.
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	3868
Rob
Old 05-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetchief View Post
Thanks Jim, the tires were new 2 years ago, I donít know how many miles they have on them since then but they look brand new, it is amazing how much info there is for the reading on sights like this.
My wife canít get a half hour away from the house without her head bobbin, now she can go stretch out if she wants, we are really looking fwd to taking trips now,
I am responsible for the operation and maintenance of a fleet of Tug barge units and some ships, so I have been doing all the research I can about all the serviceable equipment on this coach, unfortunately there was no service records left when they traded up for another Newmar, so basically I am changing everything (fluid/filters) engine, transmission generator air dryer etc, cost me some bucks, but at least I have some piece of mind.
Attachment 3868
Rob
When it comes to how big the expense can be if poor maintenance causes a problem, peace of mind is GOOD!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

Hi Rob, Nice looking MH. We looked at Dutch Stars also, really nice setup. Well made. Finally decided on a 00 Discovery. I couldn't afford a new MH either but really happy with the one we got, well taken care of and new tires. Like Jim said this is a good engine/chassis combo. Also a great site to join. I was Chief Engineer Merchant Marine a long time so this gave me a good knowledge of machinery, but there are some things on MH's that it sure is great to get some help on. Lotta ex-sailor types on here. Not a lot of difference between a boat/ship and a MH whein you come down to it is the way I see it.
KC
Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #6

Fleetchief, congratulations on your Newmar and welcome to the iRV2 family. The 2000 Dutch is a very good motorhome and you are doing the right thing by replacing the fluids and filters. Now hit the road and enjoy it.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #7

She's a Beauty!
We've had a 98 DSDP on the Spartan chassis w/300 C8.3 Cummins since 9/08 and have put 22k miles on it. It's been a great coach. We bought ours off ebay cheap w/manuals and many receipts. We made many mods/improvements to ours.

Let us know if we can help?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congrats Rob & Phylis on your Newmar and welcome to irv2.
Come join us down in the Newmar Forum for any questions you may have.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome and congrats on your New to You Dutchstar, treat it well and it will give you many years of enjoyable dependable service.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #10

Thanks for all the comments, we are very much looking fwd to taking a trip, my wife and I show boxers, actually I tell people we are very close to ďtherapyĒ with all of that.
As far as MHís being similar to boats, what Iíve always said was ďas a Chief Engineer, I know a little bit about a lot of different things but not really the master of any of themĒ hence all the research on the motor home.
One thing we are looking for is some replacement 12 volt bulbs, where can we get those; this coach has several different sizes.
Again thanks for all your comments.
Rob
Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
hi rob and phylis welcome and congrats.we to have our new to us 2002 diplomat going on our frist trip to ky end of may from ny .enjoy and have fun.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Fleetchief,

If you are talking about 12v interior lights and you have a number of them to replace, take a look at LED lights as a replacement. You can do a search on this site and find some good input.

Dave
Old 05-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #13

Rob
There is great RV supply house in San Antonio 5 minutes from me. Their great catalog has Camco brand and Speedway brand bulbs. Many different styles.They order them. You should be able to do Google search for a store near you. I saw a post the other day that mentioned Sullivans RV supply. Well supplied store. Has new web site.
Not sure where they are (maybe midwest) but will look more and post more info. My last sailing gig was a 7 year long contract hauling NATO containerized cargo (mostly beer, cars, furniture and the like, stuff they didn't fly) NAS Norfolk to NAS Bermuda, sometimes to Azores and then to NAS Keflavik, Iceland. Like you I know a little bit about alot, but I sure learned a lot about bad weather in those 7 years inthe North Atlantic. Flat calm at times in the summer and up to eighty foot seas with icing and 4 hours of daylight in the winter. Mercifully our contract did not renew.
I am getting geared up for first big trip, San Antonio to Boston and back with DW (DearWife), my 2 precious young kids and mother in law. DW has brother in Boston. Lots to do.
Probably be on here alot.
Kelly
Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #14

Here it is Rob, Sullivan RV Online Parts Store, 800-720-0484, Decatur, Indiana. Might help. Not quite savy enough to transfer store info from desertcampers post to here. Most bulbs like that run $1.50 to $6.00. Good Luck
Kelly