Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Just Bought an '87 Pace Arrow

Hi everyone,

Just bought a 30-foot '87 Pace Arrow, really excited. I haven't picked it up yet, so it's just killing me. Kids have no idea, total surprise, I can't wait to see their reaction!

The RV is in absolutely pristine condition on the inside. The original owners bought it as a retirement toy, used it for a very short time, and then both of them tragically suffered alzheimers, so it basically sat for nearly 15 years. Get this: 45k original miles, only 300 original hours on the Onan. Aside from a little oxidization on the outside and a little interior fade (yes, it was covered the whole time, no leaks), it's like it was built last year.

My wife and I have 3 perfect-age kids for camping and adventuring in an RV (13 year old daughter, 9 year old son, 6 year old daughter). I'm really big on making memories with the kids (while video recording it all), and though we like hitting Disneyland every few years if we can, it's my own camping memories of when I was a kid that I remember the most above all else, further enhanced by the home movies my Dad took. I am doing likewise. When I get all old, fat and forgetful (ok, older, fatter, and more forgetful), I'll be able to watch all my kids grow up as many times as I want. It's like some kind of cool insurance or family "backup".

I had bought a 21-foot 1979 Itasca Sundancer Class-C back in '06, and we have literally used it up, wrung it out, and got our money's worth out of it ten-fold. When I tell my kids about the RV'ing we're about to do this summer, they have no idea I'm really referring to a 30-foot monster they haven't even seen yet - they think I'm talking about the old beater Itasca (I don't even know if I can get that thing started now, donating it to charity this month).

First modification I'm going to do is finally install the GPS stereo./reverse camera system I've been waiting to use since last year. :-)

I have much to learn about big Class-A RVs, especially maintenance and proper care of this behemoth, so I come here to this group humbly groveling and bowing down to the gurus.

- Highwinder (aka Bob Hodges)
Highwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
If nothing else, it will need new tires. Otherwise, take it to a shop you trust and have everything safety checked. Enjoy!

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2. Congrats on the Class A, your kids are going to have a blast. Wishing you many happy journeys.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Bob and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you found a real deal on a moho, and I hope it's a winner for you. Make sure you check out all the systems and the generator...sometimes not having many hours on the genny is not a good thing. Here's wishing you many great memories for you and your family.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz View Post
If nothing else, it will need new tires. Otherwise, take it to a shop you trust and have everything safety checked. Enjoy!

JoAnn

You're right. As luck would have it, the thing has all new tires, brand new. I'm buying it from the 2nd owner, who's only had it for 2 years, had new tires put on it last year. All checks have recently been done, including tranny, and I have the paperwork. Really excited.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #6

Wow, thanks everyone. Certainly a great warm welcome. :-)

I have fired everything up, test drive, tested the genny, all in good order and not a puff of smoke anywhere. Amazing. It's like Indiana Jones coming across the lost ark. Only flaw on the whole RV is some exterior cleanup badly needing to take place (needs a good scrub and wax/finish) as well as the right passenger side windshield having a crack down one side (owner swears its been there for at least 10 years). Even if not, easy to deal with.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I've been itching for this toy for 3 decades (I'm 44).

Ok, now to get on to getting my custom signature worked out...
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwinder View Post
You're right. As luck would have it, the thing has all new tires, brand new. I'm buying it from the 2nd owner, who's only had it for 2 years, had new tires put on it last year. All checks have recently been done, including tranny, and I have the paperwork. Really excited.
Hooray! Glad to hear it! Have a wonderful time.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #8

Testing signature. Let's see if I got it right...

(And thanks everyone!)
Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Check out this thread, or this one or this one for bringing the exterior back to life with Red Max Pro #3.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new to you motorhome and hope really enjoy it. I'll bet the kids are just going to be thrilled. Wishing you the best, hope you enjoy the site and enjoy making many new friends here as I'm sure you will. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Check out this thread, or this one or this one for bringing the exterior back to life with Red Max Pro #3.

Excellent info. I've read on other forums that using finish products for boats is a good way to go. Is that what Red Max is?

Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwinder View Post
Excellent info. I've read on other forums that using finish products for boats is a good way to go. Is that what Red Max is?

Thanks again!
PoliGlow is the acrylic used on boats ($100/gal)- Red Max Pro#3 is a much cheaper version of PoliGlow at about $15/gal. Find it at Lowe's in the floor care aisle.

Not sure who started using it first, but the RMP protocol been around for several years. We are on our second year of using RMP. This is the oldest forum thread that I'm aware of.

After the initial prep and application, you can renew the gloss with a single wipe-on coat each year. No rubbing or buffing

RMP does not yellow or peel, and it will literally knock your socks off when used on oxidized fiberglass. If you own an older RV, its really amazing. Best thing since sliced bread.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hello and Welcome to IRV2! Enjoy your adventures and safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Congrat's

Congrat's on the MH, we all love PIC's so send some if you can. It's not to hard once a guy figures it out, good luck and many safe miles and great memories.