Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #1

Howdy everyone. My wife and I just put a deposit on our first RV - a "new" 2004 Rexhall Rexair TR36G with the "Double Wideslide," W-22 chassis, 22.5s, 8.1L Vortec and 5-Speed Alison Tranny, as well as most of the bells and whistles that come in a new RV. The "triplewide" has the most enormous interior space that I have ever seen in a Class A... about 12.5 feet wide (INTERIOR) when both slides are opened, with the slides extending from the rear of the cockpit (yes, the entry door is integrated into the slide!) within about 18-24 inches from the end of the coach.

I was concerned about the little or no CCC (260lbs when coach is full of fluids, LP, and 600 lbs of passengers) as the basement storage could accommodate a football team's worth of equipment, to say the least. However, the coach does have airbags (suspension) factory installed and the 22.5" Michelins w/ Alcoa wheel combination put my mind at ease a bit. Did a little research on the W-22 chassis (sure wish it would have been a W-24)... but with a 31,000 GCWR, which translates to being able to tow about 9000 lbs, I figured this RV was worth a shot.

Stacey and I (Rob) plan on using the RV for bi-annual trips to Missouri from California (my in-laws and step-children live in Missouri) and as I am a telecommuter, I was very easily able to justify the extra size so I could manage my business while on the road. In our spare time, we will finally be able to take advantage of being in SoCal as we plan on taking advantage of the RV for 2 and 3 day weekend trips to go to the local beaches, mountains, and other events.

As soon as I get a few pix of the coach, I will post them. Planning on taking delivery about mid-march (3 weeks?) depending on how long it takes to shop and set up my RV financing.

We are traveling with pets (our 4-legged kids: Smith, Wesson, and Jackie)... two Labs and a Jack Russell. Smith, A.K.A "Smitty" is a Black Lab; Wesson is a Choc Lab, and of course, Jackie is the "terror." So that was another reason for needing the extra living space while we are parked. The kids like to play, and the labs need a wide-berth!

Stacey and I are both Army vets, Stacey being retired military and I served for 11.5 years. Now I consult, and my wife is my assistant/coordinator. So we have the ability to manage our work around our lives... just took a couple of years to figure it out.

Feel free to reply!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #2

Howdy everyone. My wife and I just put a deposit on our first RV - a "new" 2004 Rexhall Rexair TR36G with the "Double Wideslide," W-22 chassis, 22.5s, 8.1L Vortec and 5-Speed Alison Tranny, as well as most of the bells and whistles that come in a new RV. The "triplewide" has the most enormous interior space that I have ever seen in a Class A... about 12.5 feet wide (INTERIOR) when both slides are opened, with the slides extending from the rear of the cockpit (yes, the entry door is integrated into the slide!) within about 18-24 inches from the end of the coach.

I was concerned about the little or no CCC (260lbs when coach is full of fluids, LP, and 600 lbs of passengers) as the basement storage could accommodate a football team's worth of equipment, to say the least. However, the coach does have airbags (suspension) factory installed and the 22.5" Michelins w/ Alcoa wheel combination put my mind at ease a bit. Did a little research on the W-22 chassis (sure wish it would have been a W-24)... but with a 31,000 GCWR, which translates to being able to tow about 9000 lbs, I figured this RV was worth a shot.

Stacey and I (Rob) plan on using the RV for bi-annual trips to Missouri from California (my in-laws and step-children live in Missouri) and as I am a telecommuter, I was very easily able to justify the extra size so I could manage my business while on the road. In our spare time, we will finally be able to take advantage of being in SoCal as we plan on taking advantage of the RV for 2 and 3 day weekend trips to go to the local beaches, mountains, and other events.

As soon as I get a few pix of the coach, I will post them. Planning on taking delivery about mid-march (3 weeks?) depending on how long it takes to shop and set up my RV financing.

We are traveling with pets (our 4-legged kids: Smith, Wesson, and Jackie)... two Labs and a Jack Russell. Smith, A.K.A "Smitty" is a Black Lab; Wesson is a Choc Lab, and of course, Jackie is the "terror." So that was another reason for needing the extra living space while we are parked. The kids like to play, and the labs need a wide-berth!

Stacey and I are both Army vets, Stacey being retired military and I served for 11.5 years. Now I consult, and my wife is my assistant/coordinator. So we have the ability to manage our work around our lives... just took a couple of years to figure it out.

Feel free to reply!

Old 02-21-2006, 11:10 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did a little research on the W-22 chassis (sure wish it would have been a W-24)... but with a 31,000 GCWR, which translates to being able to tow about 9000 lbs, I figured this RV was worth a shot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rolling TRIPLEWIDE: Welcome to irv2.com We are glad you joined us and posted about purchasing your new coach. Congrats.

I quoted your line above because I'm afraid there is some confusion there. The W-22 chassis is GVWR 22,000 and GCVWR is 26,000 pounds. Not sure where you got your info, but the MOST the W-22 is rated to carry AND tow is 26,000. If not towing anything, the chassis is rated to carry not more than 22,000.

Please feel free to post all kinds of questions here on iRV2.com and be sure to visit further down in the WCMC forum below in the OWNER'S CORNER.
That is where you will find all sorts of discussions regarding your WCC running gear. ED
Old 02-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #4

Congratulations on your new coach. I've seen pictures and it certainly has plenty of room to move around in. The one thing you are going to have to watch VERY CLOSELY is how much you load into it. As Ed stated, you maximum weight in or on the coach itself is 22,000 lbs. Be careful how much you put in the basement and what you pack for clothes and groceries. It's going to be very easy to go over the max weight. The downside of being overweight is that it can have a negative affect on warranty claims for engine, transmission, tires etc. It's an excuse they can use to deny a claim. Particularly the tires. In the case of the tires, it also becomes a safety issue. The air bags certainly will help with the handling, but they don't increase the GVWR of 22,000. My wife and I have a Mountain Aire and our ccc is just over 1600 lbs. We only use the unit weekends and a couple week long trips a year. The last time I weighed it on a weekend trip, I was 200 lbs overweight. Its very easy to forget how quickly the weight adds up and will put you over.

I'd suggest getting it weighed as soon as you pack it for your first trip and see where you're at. Most truck stops have a scale that costs about $8.00 to weigh it.

You've got a beautiful coach and I hope you both enjoy it. You'll just have to carry a lot less than you have room for.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #5

Rolling Triplewide, Welcome to the IRV2 website, hope the forums input will be of benefit to you, enjoy your new to you coach, congratulations. Ed.S
Old 02-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
A.J

Congrats and welcome to the Forum.

2006 Magellan 38E/Quad Slide
A.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Triplewide, Congrats on your new coach and welcome to irv2.
I won't add to what has been said but like already said when you have it loaded have it weight so you will know what load you have and what your tire pressures can be maybe less than what dealer will have put in them. Join us down in the Workhorse forum for any questions you may have. Many happy and safe miles. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #8

Hi everyone... Thank you for your posts and input! It's really appreciated.

I got the GCWR off of the data plate in the closet of the coach... But will check it again before we take deliver. Luckily, our dingy weighs well under 4000lbs (2005 PT Cruiser Convertible) so even if I was mistaken, should still be able to keep coach under 26,000lbs GCWR.

I know the coach is heavy, but plan on keeping water tanks 1/4 full during travel, which should help out a bit.

As the coach has the 22.5 Michelins, I'm pretty sure my weight limits added up to approx. 10,000 lbs for the front tires and about 17,600 for the rears (not axle ratings, but max tire loads). Doesn't change anything with the chassis rating. I did order myself a 32" LCD TV (weighing just 34lbs) for the living room (being delivered tomorrow) to replace the 80lb 25"TV that's in there now. I declined the fireplace option as well, with the factory agreeing to put a cabinet door in it's place. Hopefully that will have shed about 100lbs off of the empty weight of the vehicle.

I will definitely go and weigh the RV after I pick it up, so I know exactly what I have to work with.

Wondering about the 1/2 tank of fuel on delivery (thought I should be getting a full tank since coach is new)... Dealership said no LPG as well... Doesn't sound right. How do I test the fridge and stove without any LPG in the tanks during PDI?

Thanks everyone... 19 days and a wake up until delivery...
Old 02-26-2006, 07:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rolling Triplewide:
Wondering about the 1/2 tank of fuel on delivery (thought I should be getting a full tank since coach is new)... Dealership said no LPG as well... Doesn't sound right. How do I test the fridge and stove without any LPG in the tanks during PDI? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rolling I am not expert on weight by any means so I will not comment on that...

However I will comment on the 1/2 tank of fuel and no LP... Tell your dealer that you want them both full thats the only decent thing they can do... or they will not get a recommendation from you... After all it sounds like to me you are making their job real easy by getting your own financing Just ones mans opinion...

Best of luck I just got my MH on a Workhorse about a month ago and I am learning...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rolling Triple Wide, 19 days and a wake up. Haven't heard that since Sept 1, 1968. Anyways, I presume you are doing the Rexhall factory direct out of Lancaster. Be sure that they fill your propane tank. If they won't do it, do it at their Service Center. It has always been the cheapest in California.

Rexhall used to pay for your initial membership in FMCA. They sponspored a "Homecoming Rally" every year in October which used to be worth going to. Since it is a 2004 model year, the workhorse chassis should have had the recalls and flash memories updated. Make sure they do this before you take formal possession. Good luck. We were satisfied Rexhall owners for 6 years before we changed to our Southwind.

Oh, where in California are you located?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I presume you are doing the Rexhall factory direct out of Lancaster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ROCKY2: Can you elaborate a bit on what this means. I'm really confused (what's new about that) by some of the info in this thread. I thought ROLLINGTRIPLEWIDE was talking about an 04, but then it seems he is ordering a new coach.
FWIW, I thought dealers "usually" deliver a unit with FULL fuel and propane, at least some water, and hopefully, empty holding tanks! ED
Old 02-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #12
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Stacey & Rob,

WOW sounds like a very nice rig, best of luck !!! Also welcome to this great site, you will find it full of great folks, that are full of great info to share!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I thought ROLLINGTRIPLEWIDE was talking about an 04, but then it seems he is ordering a new coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rexhall has been and is having finacial problems. They are selling new 2004-2006 products directly from the factory.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ed, Rexhall dropped their dealers (or their dealers dropped them) and they went to "factory direct" which includes their overstock from prior years inventory. If memory serves, they still had some of their 2003 coachs which have never been registered and hence are "new". Their financial situation has been the subject of many threads on other forums. While they design a great coach, their QC has been subject to problems for years. Those with a good coach got a heck of a value. We all hope Triple Wide gets one of those great ones.