Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyscarlett View Post
Sarah and Harry, you wouldn't happen to be from Texas would you? The flag is a dead give away and so is the "howdy" I live in McKinney having just moved back from California last September. There's Gypsy in my blood and sitting still for any length of time makes me crazy and this adventure is a huge leap of faith. I will check out the single RVers. I just want to eliminate as many of the stupid mistakes as I can before I take the leap. I appreciate ALL advice.
Guilty! I'm in the Houston area. Be sure to look over all the sections of the forum, from the Solo RVers to the various manufacturer owner's sections. There is a ton of good info here; perfect for perusing on a winter afternoon. Good luck!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was quick on the gun and didn't realize you were a girl / lady.

I won't lie to you, sometimes unhooking the car, and hooking the car requires a bit of forearm / wrist / finger strength. The tow bar themselves are ...uhmmm... how do I put this, stiff? To move around and open and close?

Basically you end up with two "arms" that need to be pushed up open to match the two "pins" sticking out from the front of your car, and they have to match exactly.

I have a blue ox tow bar, and it's really stiff to open. It's also stiff to close and lean back up towards the vehicle.

Then, on top of that, the tow cables that hook on the car for safety have a rubber flap that you need some finger grip strength to flap over the dealy-do.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK TO THE BLUE OX VIDEO OF THE OWNER OF BLUE OX PUTTING THE TOW CAR ON? Even he struggles with it a little.

Also, here's other potential issues I have personally run into.

1) IF the car is at an angle to the mh, as in you didnt have enough room to get the MH and the car perfectly straight, the pins are VERY hard to pull out if not impossible. You gotta run to the car, and rotate the steering wheel back and forth and go back to the pin.

2) The safety pin has a smaller pin that runs through it, with a spring loaded ring, and the first time that sucker closes on your finger

3) reattaching the car alone can be a process. I find myself getting back in the car, backing up, repositioning... OOPS too close, DARN too far away by an inch, SHOOT I'm one inch at an angle.

4) DON'T FORGET THE PARKING BRAKE WHEN UNHOOKING :a ngel:

NOW, all that being said, you very well might have the finger strength, wrist strength, and forearm strength I am talking about. My wife has no problems hooking and unhooking the car all by herself, including on an angle, but she's 29.

I think it might be a good idea that you get together with someone who actually has one of these setups, and try it out for yourself, you might find it a walk in the park.

An alternative is to simply rent an inexpensive car where you go, and are going to stay. A lot of parks / resorts have shuttles and ways to help you out with that sort of thin, and of course some car rentals will bring the car to you.

And if you enjoy bicycles, obviously putting a bike on the back is very simple.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #17

Thanks for getting back to me on that. I have never done anything with a tow other than letting UHaul do it. I have some back problems and arthritis and not much in the way of hand strength. I am going to the gym to get more strength and mobility, but these are things I am concerned about. That's one of the biggest reasons I was inquiring about towing.
I would like to think that I was prepared enough so that I could go to the grocery store, laundry, etc. in the MH and get that done with so that I'm not having to do that very often. My main objective, at this point, is to have a destination in mind, but be prepared to stay a while on the way to where I'm going. Since I don't have a clue how all this works yet, all I can go by is what you more experienced RVers do. I realize the convenience of having a vehicle other than the MH, but I don't think I'm going to spend my time, after getting settled, running around. I have been giving thought to getting a platform for the back of the MH and getting a scooter or site seeing. Again, something to consider.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyscarlett View Post
Thanks for getting back to me on that. I have never done anything with a tow other than letting UHaul do it. I have some back problems and arthritis and not much in the way of hand strength. I am going to the gym to get more strength and mobility, but these are things I am concerned about. That's one of the biggest reasons I was inquiring about towing.
I would like to think that I was prepared enough so that I could go to the grocery store, laundry, etc. in the MH and get that done with so that I'm not having to do that very often. My main objective, at this point, is to have a destination in mind, but be prepared to stay a while on the way to where I'm going. Since I don't have a clue how all this works yet, all I can go by is what you more experienced RVers do. I realize the convenience of having a vehicle other than the MH, but I don't think I'm going to spend my time, after getting settled, running around. I have been giving thought to getting a platform for the back of the MH and getting a scooter or site seeing. Again, something to consider.
Have you considered having a fairly small RV? Like a nice Class B?

You should look up RV Sue and Her Canine Crew, she can take her home anywhere!

rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more

I bet you will like her a lot!
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 01-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
her address just changed,

new address rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 01-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Sounds like you what coach you want which is a good thing and I would also check out solo rvers on this website. In case you want to change your mind on RV's take a look at the Winnebago Vista 26 footer. A friend of ours is a single lady and she drives that towing a car.

As for a toad, you have a good car to use as a toad. I am in a cg right now where there are 3 pt cruisers that are being towed. You would need a tow bar, towing brackets on car and a braking system other that it is a piece of cake I think. I tow a car but it is on a tow dolly which I like and as they say to each his own.
Good Luck and welcome to IRV2

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #21

I think that would be too small for full time living. I would get claustrophobic. 31 feet may be a little much, but just seems more like a "home". Probably biting off more than I can chew first time out, so I may consider something a little shorter. If I don't like it, I guess I can always trade up. I'll check out RV Sue and see what she has to say. Thanks for your help and advice.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #22

Tom-NC
Thank you for the information on the PT Cruiser. I love mine and really don't want to give it up. However, can a short, not too strong, 66 year old female handle a tow like that on her own? I am looking at shorter models. I guess when I consider this will be my permanent home, I don't want to feel like I'm in a box.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Taking an RV driving course will give you not only the information but more importantly, the confidence, to drive a Class A. Money well spent.

Of course, I would not depend upon it but in most campgrounds, all you will have to do in pull in, stand by the toad with your hands on your hips and within minutes there will be at least six people there to help you out. It is just the way campers are.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
whatever you do, DON'T ever be afraid to LIVE. You have mega determination, and you can do anything you put your mind to, so please post photos when you are ready to set off on that first trip!
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #25

Dog Folks,
You must have been reading my mind. I wondered about just standing there looking totally lost if that would help I am, however, a very independent woman and I would hate to think that after all these years, I would let this towing thing intimidate me. I will check into the driving class. I do think I'm going to stick with a Class C, but we shall see. There's a lot to consider. In the hours and days I have spent in the different forums and other web sites, I realize that just the mechanics of keeping the thing going is extensive. I think that once I make up my mind, everything will fall into place. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #26

Thanks so much, guys, for your support and advice. Once I quit being a pansy about all the decisions I have to make, I'll be okay. I can't wait to finally move forward, take pictures, and keep in touch with everyone. Who knows, we may meet someday - and you can unhook the toad for me
Old 01-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't feel that you are "taking advantage". Campers love to help one another.

You are also helping them by giving them the opportunity. LOL
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the forum Katyscarlett! I can share with you that although I am not single, I'm 60, of slight build and not particularly strong and have driven our motorhomes alone, a LOT, and that includes hooking, towing, and unhooking a toad by myself. We have a Blue Ox tow system, and the bars on ours are quite easy to deal with as well as the safety cables we use. Our toad is a Saturn Vue, and the bracket placement for the tow bar is at an easy height--something to consider. Our former toad was a Saturn wagon--brackets much lower to the ground and not as easy to hook up.

With some help and practice, I think you will find that in no time "toad towing" will become a do-able activity. Having transportation while camping is pretty much a necessity, and toads are the logical choice. Have fun choosing a coach--you'll love the camping experience!!

Cathy

twinknkate is offline   Reply With Quote