Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #29

Thank you Cathy,
I was glad to hear from another "senior" on all this. I have spent so much time looking at different rigs, sizes, shapes etc., I have gotten to the point of just doing the eeny meeny miney moe thing, point my finger at one and take it. There is a lot to like in each one. After listening to all the advice here, I have pretty much decided that I need to tow. At least I have gotten that far. Now I just need to make a decision on the front end of things. I am so looking forward to just getting on the road and the camping experience you mentioned.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:40 AM   #30

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your endeavors. I think it's great you're considering doing what you want and not letting being solo stop you. There a few ladies here who have done it. Go to a dealer and test drive a unit similar in size to what you want when your closer to ready. I haven't set up my toad yet (deciding if i'll tow my heavy vehicle or get a lighter/smaller one to set up) I believe that the "All Terrain" type tow bar is easier to use (or at least thats what roadmaster/blue ox claim). The good news is you don't really have to worry about what toad to get and if you'll like it. You already know.

Oh and you're not the first and won't be the last one to join pre-RV. Actually it seems smart you're integrating into the community already and gleaming valuable pieces of knowledge. Shiny? Foretravel, King Aire etc. Those things litterly shine. Blinding even

Be like a voter.

Ask questions, and ask questions early and often.

Oh wait too many voters don't look into the issues. But that's another story and another matter. One thing I did as well was look up videos on youtube like "How to hook up the RV" etc. I also got very familiar with RV lingo code book. I learnt what all those different GVWR, GUVW, CCC terms meant. I read how to weigh the rig (haven't done a four corner yet), I familiarized myself with things relevant to the type of unit I was looking at (Ie if its a Workhorse chassis, did it have the brake recall done). with a pre-loved unit I learnt how to discover things like delamination (if it's wavy, keep away, knock and see if it sounds solid). I learnt that I should look for water damage etc. This way when you do find your rig you will know you have the best 31M on the planet. Don't let it overwhelm you. Do your research. For some of us (ie me) it took awhile to learn.

Welcome aboard matey!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #31

Orngtrillium,
Thank you so much for the kind words and advice. I have done more reading and research lately than I did in school. It has been fascinating hearing all the experiences of people of all ages and circumstances. A great learning experience.
I have been putting a time limit on this new adventure and decided that I don't need to do that. I need to relax, stop fretting, and I know that when the time comes I will find the perfect home at the perfect time for me. I can give it another year, if need be, and save more money; make better plans for extra income; or save for emergencies; and work on a solid budget for full time living. Above all, I can continue to research and learn.
In the meantime, I will continue doing as you suggest. Ask lots of questions. I know what you mean about voters and all that stuff. Don't EVEN get me started on that
Thanks again
Scarlett
Old 01-31-2014, 09:27 PM   #32

I'll tell you who I didn't vote for. And that's the person(s) who didn't recieve my vote because I believed their CV (past accomplishments, voting on issues, track record), how well they support the community they represent (and sometimes I think the person with an opposing view may better "care" about the community), and political platform will serve my current situation. It might be the yellow Emu this time and next time it'll be the Purple Penguin. The RV (and pretty much any major purchase) is the same. We bought when the right unit for our needs came up. Without a time schedule and if you have the finances or can arrange finances (pre-approved) you will be the one in the drivers seat getting what you want. Not what closest in sized square peg in a round hole. I'll tell you that by the time is done you may know lots of discontinued makes/features that are no longer available (Ie built in blenders, side folding verandahs, mid engined motorhomes, FWD motor home with side bogeys and no axle between allowing a very low floor). You'll learn how to dump tanks, level your unit, light a fire while darning your socks. Ok maybe not the last one. A solo lady here recently said "I don't understand why more ladies don't do this" or words to that effect. And I don't either, there are very few things that are exclusive to one gender (writing name in snow and giving birth are about the only two that come to mind)

My mom is roughly your age. I tell her "You are far from a senior, look when the Americas were founded you would have been dead a decade by now, then people didn't have long retirements, now your retirement can exceed your working years. Think about that. Grandma is 92 and she still walks. Missisauga a city of well over half a million souls is ran by a lady born in February 1921. She gets elected every tme for d2 and a half decades on end without even campaigning, runs a debt free city, gets up at the crack of dawn, has an order of merit from Germany, does not have a house keeper, has a Buick :P, and hosts very large family reunions.... It's not senior it's experienced.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #33

You are too funny!!!! I love the part about the darning socks. I have been able to multitask, so I guess I can continue. Thanks for the support. I believe, if I just relax and enjoy the experience instead of forcing the issue, I will be fine and feel a lot better about any decisions I make. You just pretty much confirmed that. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the information and help I have gotten from different forums and threads here.
Tell your mom, she can do it. It's a mind set, and congratulations to the lady running the city. My hat is off to her. on another thread I have been talking with a lady (Bev) who is at the Escapees Boot Camp and says it's amazing. Said she thought she new a lot, but can't believe how much more she is learning. There are a couple more this year, and I plan on attending the one in Livingston, Tx in November.
Thanks again, and take care
Scarlett