Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #1

Red face Just Getting Started

I may have jumped the gun on the "IRV2" part as I don't have one yet. I know what I want but have so many questions and have been trying to find some folks to help me out.
I'm 66, retired, single and want to hit the road full time. The RV I want is the Fleetwood 31M Series, older, used model. My biggest concern is towing. I think having 31 feet of vehicle by myself would be enough without the extra hassle of another vehicle behind me, but also want the mobility of getting around once parked. I have read so much on line and it's about a 50/50 split on how people feel. If there are any single ladies out there who have actually done what I'm trying to do, I would love to hear from you.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, and my objective is to get the MH and be on my way by September of this year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyscarlett View Post
I may have jumped the gun on the "IRV2" part as I don't have one yet. I know what I want but have so many questions and have been trying to find some folks to help me out.
I'm 66, retired, single and want to hit the road full time. The RV I want is the Fleetwood 31M Series, older, used model. My biggest concern is towing. I think having 31 feet of vehicle by myself would be enough without the extra hassle of another vehicle behind me, but also want the mobility of getting around once parked. I have read so much on line and it's about a 50/50 split on how people feel. If there are any single ladies out there who have actually done what I'm trying to do, I would love to hear from you.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, and my objective is to get the MH and be on my way by September of this year.
Dood, tow the car, you won't regret it.. ever.... you gotta be able to get around once you arrive.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
and if you tow something small, like a mini, you will never know it's back there or a suzuki samurai
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 01-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
good choice on the RV too, there are tons of them out there in great shape!
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #5

I have a PT Cruiser now, but don't know whether to sell it or try to tow it. I even thought about getting a small motor bike instead of a car. Again, this ole girl is by herself, so it's a little intimidating.
Thanks for your input. Any and all information is helpful.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to iRV2! Please check out the "Solo RVers" section of the forum; there are several single ladies who will be happy to share their experience with you! Solo RV'ers - iRV2 Forums

I'm not a single RVer, but if I were, I believe I would have to have a towed vehicle. Once you get set up with all your connections at a campground...water, electric, cable TV, etc., it would be a pain to have to break camp to run to the store or other town visit. (Just my opinion, however!! )

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Having a toad would be second nature in a short period of time.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:35 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You could try a motorcycle if you are so inclined or possibly just a scooter. I often use motorized bicycles but only for weekend getaways, not full timing. If I were full timing I would probably break down and get a small, light and cheap car. The only other options I can see are rent-a-car and/or cabs.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:48 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

We have friends right now in the same park. They are PT at present, but are in Florida for a few months this winter from upstate NY. They do not have a Toad. Guess what, they are confined to the RV Park, or dependent upon others to get groceries, see sites , etc. We take them to the grocery store when we go a couple times a week.

It is just too much hassle to disconnect the coach to go to the store, then reconnect when you get back. Plus you may not fit into parking where you are going. Find a toad you can tow 4 wheels down (many cannot be). You will be happy you did.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wellcome aboard and glad you joined us. Hope you enjoy the site. As far as towing your pt you can go to www.remcoindustries.com and input the info on your particular vehicle and it will come up with what you need to tow the car. We tow ours and it's GREAT to have with us. Good luck and hope to see you down the road. As stated before it will become second nature once you get used to it.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.....The 31M is a great floor plan, but you'll need a toad....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #12

Sarah and Harry, you wouldn't happen to be from Texas would you? The flag is a dead give away and so is the "howdy" I live in McKinney having just moved back from California last September. There's Gypsy in my blood and sitting still for any length of time makes me crazy and this adventure is a huge leap of faith. I will check out the single RVers. I just want to eliminate as many of the stupid mistakes as I can before I take the leap. I appreciate ALL advice.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the group!

Hope you find the right rig for your needs! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #14

Thank you Steve and Sally for the advice on the tow. I will certainly check into it. Like I told someone else, I'm trying to eliminate as many stupid mistakes as I can before jumping in the deep end. Besides, I love my PT and really don't want to get rid of it, so if I can find the "courage" and way to tow it, then I will be happy to do so. So far, love this site. So many thoughtful and helpful RVers out there!
Thanks
Scarlett