Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-28-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Just Got Home With Order in Hand

We've been looking for over a year, had been looking at a Heartland BigHorn, and decided that's what we wanted. Went to the Birmingham, AL RV show, and saw the ForestRiver Cardinal 3850RL, wife loved the floor plan, and I liked the fit and finish. So after 1+ years of looking we made a 180 degree turn and put money down to order the new Cardinal.

Little frightening after having our mind set on the Bighorn for so long, but we got the interior color the wife liked, and the Grey full body paint that will match out grey tow vehicle.

So, is this the right decision? Bighorn or Forest River? Pros and Cons. Did ask the dealer to upgrade tires to G rated Goodyears. He didn't really think it necessary, but I think I will feel safer. Looking for others input who are more knowledgeable than I.

Tow vehicle is 2014 F350 Longbed Diesel, with Transfer Flow 50 gallon, tank/box combo, Airlift air suspension, Hensley BD3 hitch, and Husky Tailgate.

Looking forward to hearing responses.

smullenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #2

Glad you joined the group.

The best RV is always gonna be the one that makes you happy. You made a good choice. Good luck with it.

Happy Trails!!

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
I had a Cardinal quite a few years back, it was a decent unit for the price point. I remember when Heartland first hit the market, they were very nice units. Ever since Thor took over Heartland the QC has not seemed to be as good as it was when Heartland was still an independent. Do a thorough PDI and make sure everything gets fixed prior to signing off on the deal. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Focus Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Just enjoy your rig and be safe...
Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
We loved our Cardinal and used it for extensively for 7 years before moving into the MH. Changing the tires IMO was a good choice. Our OEM tires were junk that had to be replaced after about 4K miles. Our dealer took great care of us and the rig needed very little warranty work but make sure to really take your time going over everything.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great choice on the upgrade in tires. You'll have a great season with your purchase. Safe travels.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote