Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #15
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkids8174 View Post
I am a bit excited, I really think it's just the fact I have never paid this much money for anything before
You are sho-nuff not alone there my friend. My coach cost more than my house did. That ain't braggin' either, it's just a crazy fact. I had my share of anxiety attacks too.

Looking forward to those photos!
Best regards,
W.D.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 01:14 AM   #16

solid coach.

I owned that very same year,, make and model. It was a solid coach. My wife and I took several trips of 4 weeks or longer and 4500 miles and farther in it pulling a 4200 lb toad. It is well built and designed. Tires are #1, don't skimp. Check the DOT date stamp and if they are much over 4/5 years, they need to go. 20k over 8 years means they sat.....a lot, so I would be concerned about dry rot. A/C, fridge, genset etc either work, or don't. My 4 year old Norcold fridge in my new coach lost it's cooling unit and I know others who haven't had trouble in 10 years. Maint and repair is simply part of the lifestyle. Drive it yourself, it's easier than you may think and have fun with it. RVing is about the journey and being relaxed. One tip, if it has the original converter, it is likely a single stage like mine was so you will want to keep an eye on the house batteries so they don't boil. Disconnect switch when plugged into shore power. Congratulations!

Old 04-16-2016, 01:36 AM   #17

Welcome from Kansas City! Just remember we all start out as first-time newbie rookies, but no one stays there. I learn something new or improve an old way to do something every time I take my camper out. You will to. Hang in there and enjoy this.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:57 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been on three different RV forums for the last 10 years and I see very few problems with the Ford engine and transmission so I think you'll be fine.

All RV's will have problems of one sort or another but usually they are relatively easy to fix. You will become used to fixing minor things with the help of all the people on this forum.

Keep us updated on your pickup and walk through.

Do you have a first trip planned? I usually suggest camping in your driveway for a night or two so you find out how to turn on the lights, etc.

When driving...keep your speed down. 55 is plenty fast enough and use your mirrors to stay in the middle of your lane.

Good luck!!!
Old 04-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #19

It sounds like you've done your homework and picked a unit you think suits your needs. There's really only so much a dealer can clean up to hide defects, it this unit is in as good shape as you've described you are probably ok. But remember, these things break, even when their new. And most likely you'll be tinkering with it for as long as you own it. It's part of the lifestyle.

When we picked up our Discovery I did a final test drive. It was over an hour. The salesman was getting a bit antsy but that was tough on him. Just part of his job. I suggest you go for a nice, leisurely long drive. Don't be afraid to drive it, you and the dealer are insured so concentrate on listening for odd noises or things that feel odd in handling. Write down your concerns. If the salesman can't answer your concerns, WALK AWAY. I don't know how much you put down, but you should be able to get it back if you find a problem they won't address. You WILL find another RV you like if you have concerns there is a problem with this one. If the salesman pressures you to close the deal and you are not comfortable with his behavior ask to see the manger. Demand your money back and tell them you will not be bullied by any salesman. Take control of the transaction.

But that said, do some research this weekend. There are many threads on this forum of how to do a PDI (pre delivery inspection). In addition to how it looks and drives, make sure they plug it into 30 or 50 amp service (whatever your unit uses), check that the generator works and powers all the appliances and AC unit. Run the generator and AC during your test drive (yes, it is made for that). Have them fire up the furnace and hot water heater. Make sure the fridge gets cold (that takes hours and a good dealer would have had it running overnight so it's cold when you get there). Run the slide(s) out several times. Does it have a power awning? Make sure that works.

Do t let any of this scare you. You're going to love RVing
Old 04-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #20

Might I suggest video taping (I just dated myself, didn't I)) your final walkthrough. You will not be able to remember all the information thrown at you. I was lucky as my Newmar came with an original VCR tape provided from the manufacturer. Even after owning my MH for the past five years I still refer back to it at times.

Other than that, relax and enjoy. Also get a emergency road policy, I have Coach-Net, have used it once for my car and once for the MH. just adds a level of peace of mind.

Have fun.

Kaye
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I had owned many 5th wheels and even a small class A but when we moved to a large class A it took me 2000 miles to relax my grip on the wheel. Now I look forward to driving with two fingers and it is for me the best part of the trip. You have a fine sized motor home and just take everything slow. When in doubt, get out and check the area yourself before crunching something - sometimes the spotter doesn't look everywhere (long history on this topic). Resign yourself to the fact that there will be something that needs attention - it is the nature of the beast but even that can be fun if you don't mind being a little handy. - you will have fun - mark
Old 04-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #22

I don't know when, but at some point in the near future you will have a BIG smile on your face.

Don't give them the money until everything you find on your walkthrough is fixed. Be prepared on Monday to come back another day.

Make sure the refrigerator and AC get cold. Just don't listen to them run, wait until the cooling is felt.

They should have that fridge plugged in way before you get there. They take a long time to cool down. If not already on, turn it on first thing when you walk into the rig. Then, maybe by the time your PDI is over, the fridge will show cooling.

Run water through everything. I would fill up each sink and then let it drain a lot of water at once. Make sure to open up all basement compartments and check the for water leakage.

Inspect every inch of the ceiling for water stains. Roof leaks can ruin a rig quick.

A co-worker of mine bought a truck camper form a neighbor that had been in the garage for 25 years. No fish tale here. I have seen it. It looked brand new even though it was a 1969. The first rain at his house, the roof leaked and ruined one part of the ceiling and some of the luan. He was sick. The caulking had dried out and cracked after all those years in the garage. He has it patched up pretty nice now. He had to re-caulk all the windows and roof seems.

So, check the caulking on the roof seems really well. Feel each one and make sure the caulking is still attached to the surface. Don't just look. If there is some loose, no worries, new decor can be put down.

Don't let our warnings scare you. The more knowledge you take with you Monday, the better chance there is of you driving out of there with that big smile on your face!

Good luck
Old 04-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #23

CJ makes a good point. A unit that was kept under cover may looke brand new, but if the caulking has dried out you could get a leak on the first rain.

My first coach did not have a built in ladder so I had to make the dealer bring me a big ladder to look at the roof. My Discovery does have one so that was one of the first places I went to look at the roof integrity and all the goodies up top. Of course not everyone is comfortable up there which is understandable, but a good roof and good sealing of the joints and caulking points are critical to keeping things dry inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj23andout View Post
I don't know when, but at some point in the near future you will have a BIG smile on your face.

Don't give them the money until everything you find on your walkthrough is fixed. Be prepared on Monday to come back another day.

Make sure the refrigerator and AC get cold. Just don't listen to them run, wait until the cooling is felt.

They should have that fridge plugged in way before you get there. They take a long time to cool down. If not already on, turn it on first thing when you walk into the rig. Then, maybe by the time your PDI is over, the fridge will show cooling.

Run water through everything. I would fill up each sink and then let it drain a lot of water at once. Make sure to open up all basement compartments and check the for water leakage.

Inspect every inch of the ceiling for water stains. Roof leaks can ruin a rig quick.

A co-worker of mine bought a truck camper form a neighbor that had been in the garage for 25 years. No fish tale here. I have seen it. It looked brand new even though it was a 1969. The first rain at his house, the roof leaked and ruined one part of the ceiling and some of the luan. He was sick. The caulking had dried out and cracked after all those years in the garage. He has it patched up pretty nice now. He had to re-caulk all the windows and roof seems.

So, check the caulking on the roof seems really well. Feel each one and make sure the caulking is still attached to the surface. Don't just look. If there is some loose, no worries, new decor can be put down.

Don't let our warnings scare you. The more knowledge you take with you Monday, the better chance there is of you driving out of there with that big smile on your face!

Good luck
Old 04-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
You can get all the help you need here !!! I bought a 2006 Monaco about 2 years ago - I'm thankful I found IRV2 for all the info
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You'll have a great time learning and enjoying the memories. Every ones been through the learning curves. The memories soon overtake the worries and the fun begins. Safe trouble free travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #26

Also see if the dealer has a "delivery camping" spot. Some dealers hook it up to power, water and sewer, and let you camp overnight or a couple of days in their lot. That way you can try out everything without rushing, and then if there are problems, the dealer can fix them right there without you having to drive it back again.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! You'll be fine, just keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
OF COURSE you're nervous... I felt that way too on my first one.

From what you've described though, everything sounds on the up and up. It's a big commitment, and there's a LOT for you to learn through experience - just getting the hang of driving the thing is intimidating.

Give the thing a final shake for sure, after all it IS your money, and if you felt like walking, you certainly can!

Check all the slides for smooth operation, open and close all windows and doors, make they operate fine.

Run the water pump.

Turn on the water heater (make sure they have water on board though)

Turn on the furnace, the A/C units.

Make the steps open and close like they should.

Make sure the shower works, and drains. The toilets hold water...

Selling RV's has to be a tough business... I can't even imagine how much "tire kicking" happens. They all seem at the jugular for a deposit, and I can sort of see why even though I don't like the pressure tactic myself. But what I mean to say is that this behavior is not inherently a sign that something is wrong.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first-time owner, new rvers, purchase, winnebago