Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #1

Just Purchased a "New" used RV for the first time ever and I am TERRIFIED!!

Hello Everyone! I really hope someone who reads this post can relate and offer some words of advice and encouragement. I recently purchased a 2008 Winnebago from a local dealer and I am more nervous than I believe I have ever been in my life! I put a deposit down on Wednesday and was told that I cant get my RV until Monday because they didn't have anymore "delivery" appointments until Monday morning. The RV only has 20000 miles on it and the generator has 180 hours on it. It runs very quiet, seems to drive "fine" I had the dealer drive it since I am new to the RV business but it did not make any noises, stopped fine, and didn't seem to wobble or shake going down the road...He ran the generator, turned on all the lights, showed me how the slide-outs worked, showed me the storage, holding tanks and generator. Everything looked "almost" (as good as can be) barely even used. The RV has a solid roof and solid underbelly, so leaking at the seals isn't a big worry, but I am thinking of everything that "could" be wrong what if there were engine and transmission problems that were "patched up" by the dealer, what if it decides to just break after being 9 years old. My wife went back to look it over again on Thursday and they already had it in a bay and she said it looked like it had been freshly washed. I go pick her up Monday and do the "delivery" which is a walk through where they show you all the things they checked out and show you how to use everything. I am just terrified I have made a terrible decision in getting this RV, the more days go by, the more nervous I get thinking they have been stalling me actually picking it up so they could "patch up" all the problems with it. Please help me, I honestly cannot thank you enough in advance this is the largest purchase I have ever made and I don't want to regret it. Thank You!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello friends,

Great to have you aboard!!
First please provide some more info on your new rig like model, gas or diesel, tag axle or not, etc.

Lot's of help here for you, I'll try too if I can benefit you any.

Congrats on your new rig!! Just take your time, you won't regret it.
Best wishes,
W.D.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #3

I've bought new and used at dealers and there has always been a week or two before delivery. You havnt said what model or type this is so its hard to gauge what could happen. All I can tell you is things will eventually break, so just resign yourself to keeping it well maintained and you'll have done everything you can do.

Being terrified is normal. I was absolutely convinced I'd made the wrong decision when we bought our Excursion. Less so but the anxiety was still there when we traded it on for our current Discovery. But we've used our MHs at least once a month and really enjoy it. Hopefully you will too.

Oh yea, it took me almost a year before I could drive my RV without getting a huge knot in my stomach. Now it's something I look forward to. If we don't go anywhere for a week or two I take it for a 30 or 40 mile spin just to drive it.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #4

Electra 225: It is a 2008 Winnebago Outlook 29b with 2 slides. Gas motor on a ford 6.8L 305 Hp V10. It has a 4000w Onan generator. I can look up anything else that will help, thank you for your time!!

jondrew: thank you for sharing your experience with me. When you bought your Excursion did you feel more confident in what to ask and look for when you did your "delivery" do you have any advice on things I could have them show me to maybe give me a piece of mind this is a sound RV?
Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You will grow to love it. Winnebago makes a fine product, even more so nine years ago. You will learn about it as you go along, and if you don't let it overwhelm you, you are in for a great new part of your life!
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I had a low miles 2008 Itasca Cambria and it was a good RV. It looks like you are doing the right things so far. One thing to check is the tires!

- With only 20K miles it might still have the original tires! Tires only are safe to drive on for 8 years so if original they should be replaced ASAP. That said tires don't suddenly fail after exactly 8 years so this is not like going over a cliff bad. Each tire will have a manufacturing date code on the side of it. Dealership can help you read it if need be. If original tires I would make getting new tires part of the deal, even if it means paying a little more than you have currently negotiated, and delaying your delivery date a few days. At their cost, 6 new RV tires mounted balanced etc would be in the $ 1000 range.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 PM   #7

If you can get it checked out by an independent inspector prior to taking possession I would, just to make sure there is nothing to worry about. You should also test drive it yourself before making the purchase. Are you nervous because you feel you did not do enough research or that it is just not the right MH for you. Or is there something that you heard in the engine/transmission that has you worried.

Do you not trust the dealer, or were you referred there by others who have had good dealings with them. I would highly doubt they are keeping it over the weekend to fix or hide anything serious. If that were the case they would have tried to deliver it as quickly as possible. I do doubt the story about no more deliveries until Monday though. It could be a couple of things, if they need to make any repairs you asked for or detail it out that could take a few days. Or if you got a good deal on it they may be just leaving it out on the sales floor to see if they get a better price for it, and then make up some story to you about why the deal fell through.

There was something that made you pull the trigger, so unless you are an impulse buyer then you probably made the right choice, and just having buyer's remorse. You will most likely find you bought a great MH and get years of enjoyment out of it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 PM   #8

krivanj: Thank you for your response, I have read a lot about winnebago and have even tried to find people who have had terrible issues with them or complaints...it's kind of hard to do I just keep trying to tell myself that with such a good company like Winnebago it is highly unlikely I will get a bad product.

One thing I would like to know, and I forgot to mention, I did a VIN check and the RV only had one other owner and it was bought originally from the same dealer I am buying it from. I know "anything" is possible, but how much harm could someone really do to an engine/drive train in 19000 miles?

Again, thank you all!!!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
If you can get it checked out by an independent inspector prior to taking possession I would, just to make sure there is nothing to worry about. You should also test drive it yourself before making the purchase. Are you nervous because you feel you did not do enough research or that it is just not the right MH for you. Or is there something that you heard in the engine/transmission that has you worried. Do you not trust the dealer, or were you referred there by others who have had good dealings with them. I would highly doubt they are keeping it over the weekend to fix or hide anything serious. I do doubt the story about no more deliveries until Monday though. It could be a couple of things, if they need to make any repairs you asked for or detail it out that could take a few days. Or if you got a good deal on it they may be just leaving it out on the sales floor to see if they get a better price for it, and then make up some story to you about why the deal fell through. There was something that made you pull the trigger, so unless you are an impulse buyer then you probably made the right choice, and just having buyer remorse. If you really don't want it, I would try and get my down payment back and get out of the deal even if it cost you a few bucks now.
I do not really feel comfortable about the salesman, he seemed rather pushy about me putting down the cash on my credit card to show good intent. I did a good bit of research on class C's and I looked at TONS, mostly on the internet and the Winnebago's are what I decided to go with, particularly this model because of the larger, nicer, shower and for the reputation of Winnebago. I have been afraid to test drive it before, because I have never diven an RV, but now that I have the check in hand form my bank I really don't think I would mind.

I have not signed any type of paperwork with these people, but I know for a fact they had the RV in the bay doing at least detail work on it. Is it too late to ask for a test drive when I have already put down some money to the dealer?
Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #10

Glad you joined us here in the forum.You have selected a fine Winnebago. I wouldn't worry. Almost all of us have gone through the jitters the first time we started out, and every time we upgraded. It's just natural.

You will always have this forum for advice and for useful tips. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Go slowly in the beginning and you'll soon be RVing like a pro.

Good luck with your new RV and Happy Trails!!!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkids8174 View Post
krivanj: I know "anything" is possible, but how much harm could someone really do to an engine/drive train in 19000 miles?
I have owned two RVs with this Ford V10 engine with no issues whatsoever.
I think you will have the 3-valve version of the engine, there was a 2-valve per cylinder version but think all 2007 and later Ford Chassis VINs have the 3 valve version.

From Wikipedia:

The 6.8 L (6760 cc, 413 CID) SOHC V10 is another variation of the Modular family created for use in large trucks. Bore size is 90.2 mm (3.552 in) and stroke is 105.8 mm (4.165 in), identical to the 5.4 L V8. The 6.8 L uses a split-pin crank with 72 firing intervals and a balance shaft to quell vibrations inherent to a 90 bank angle V10 engine. The engine's firing order is 1-6-5-10-2-7-3-8-4-9. The 2-valve version was first introduced in 1997, with a 3-valve non-VCT version to follow in 2005. The 3-valve engines were built alongside the 2-valve engines at Ford's Windsor, Ontario LVL engine line, but moved production to the larger Windsor Engine Plant in 2009.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #12

Quote:
One thing I would like to know, and I forgot to mention, I did a VIN check and the RV only had one other owner and it was bought originally from the same dealer I am buying it from. I know "anything" is possible, but how much harm could someone really do to an engine/drive train in 19000 miles?

Again, thank you all!!!
That is a good sign as people who are generally happy with the dealer will take their business back to them and buy the same brand in an upgraded model. So hopefully the dealer has done any warranty work, recalls, or other maintenance to the MH. As far as what can happen in 19000 miles who knows, but that is low mileage, and probably well cared for if everything else was.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #13

I cannot tell you how much you have all helped! I still have the "jitters" as TonyDi mentioned, but for everyone to be so reassuring that Winnebago truly are top quality and I honestly didn't use common sense to think that if the owner didn't like the dealer he would not have came back after 4 years.

Also, thank you ALL for such a warm welcome to the forums, I do plan on being a regular and I will post many pictures when I pick her up on Monday!! I am a bit excited, I really think it's just the fact I have never paid this much money for anything before
Old 04-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #14

Quote:
I do not really feel comfortable about the salesman, he seemed rather pushy about me putting down the cash on my credit card to show good intent. I did a good bit of research on class C's and I looked at TONS, mostly on the internet and the Winnebago's are what I decided to go with, particularly this model because of the larger, nicer, shower and for the reputation of Winnebago. I have been afraid to test drive it before, because I have never diven an RV, but now that I have the check in hand form my bank I really don't think I would mind.

I have not signed any type of paperwork with these people, but I know for a fact they had the RV in the bay doing at least detail work on it. Is it too late to ask for a test drive when I have already put down some money to the dealer?
No when you go back to pick it up and do the walk thru, tell them you want to take one last test drive in it before you sign any paperwork. That is a common tactic for the salesperson to make you put cash down on a credit card to show "good intent". But I would say that I have never heard of someone buying a MH and not test driving it first, so if that would make you feel better request it. Whenever they ask for "good intent" money I just walk away. We bought our current MH on a handshake and did not exchange one penny until the day we picked it up and after they did the walk thru with us.

Again it sounds like you found a gem and are just having the regular buyers remorse or jitters, and like you said you never spent this much money on a vehicle before. It can be intimidating, but you need to do whatever it takes for you to be comfortable and happy with the purchase prior to signing any paperwork.

Tags
first-time owner, new rvers, purchase, winnebago