Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiscott View Post
In the perfect world we would buy a Newmar New Aire 33 DP. New it’s way out of our price range. Even if we wait a couple of years for second hand models I guess they will still be close to $200k. Realistically our budget is probably $100k for a motorhome and then more for the tow behind vehicle.

I guess I’m looking for a quality built DP, configured for 2 people, new as possible, compact (no more than 35’) that’s close to our budget. We can go anywhere to pick it up but I expect to find it on the Internet. I would prefer to buy direct from the current owner and I’m told and agree both Newmar and Tiffin are quality built coaches.

I want to decide make, model, configuration, and then use the intermediate time to get a good feel for the market and buy when we are ready.

Yes please contact details (preferably email) for anyone else that has done anything similar will help.

We are still in the informative stage having sold our country property and about to move into a city apartment. The planning will start in earnest soon but it’s also about maximising summers. We are keen boaties and summer here is magic. We will do next winter here so earliest in the US will be May / June 2019. Plenty of time to shop around?
Maybe too much time to shop around! :-) you might drive yourself nuts seeing the "perfect" coach get listed on the market and then sold; listed then sold... We tried to buy lightly used but recent-year Newmars get snapped up fast. I doubt you'll find a New Aire for anywhere near 200k in 2019...

Short, well-made DPs appear to be a very hot market. I hope others can help with naming some models for you. I saw a Trek once that I loved - gorgeous, small, well-made Class A with a queen sized bed that lowered from the ceiling. I *think* it was a DP, but I could be wrong on that.

You will probably get a larger number of views and wider response if you ask the same sort of question in the "Class A" forum linked above (rather than here in the new member thread).

Hope that helps, and maybe we'll see ya on the road here in 2019-2020!
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
There have been very few DPs made that were shorter than 37 feet, and even those are very scarce. In 35 feet and under you will find a lot to look at in gas (Petrol) coaches but very little in the way of diesels. Any shorter diesels you do happen to find are likely to be over 10 years old, as more recently the diesel production has been going longer and longer. There are many DP models that are only made in 45 foot lengths. An older coach is not a bad thing, but as you know it is crucial that it has received continuous good care and maintenance and many of the older coaches have not. This is really hard to tell especially when buying from overseas. If you are firm about not exceeding 35 feet then I really think you will do better to buy a gas coach as you will have much more to choose from and they will be newer.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #17

Just my observation as a Canadian, but it appears that rv prices seem to be higher in the USA than Canada. I see them all the time listed in US dollars. The same one in Canada seems to be the same price, yet the American dollar is worth 25 percent more. If an American bought one in Canada and tried to import it, it might work out to the same price. Since you are from neither country, and probably plan on selling it when you leave, it might be worth investigating. For example, if you had 100000 US dollars to spend, you could buy a coach in Canada for 125000 and it would be the same cost. Yet when I search coaches on rvtrader, they seem to be listed at approximately the same price. Try searching Kijiji Canada, Rvtrader.ca, and see if you find the same results as me. Good luck on your purchase and your trip. I live in Muskoka Ontario if I can give you any travel tips for Ontario. Cheers.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #18

This may not apply to models only a few years old, but I have found it searching for older ones.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Just my observation as a Canadian, but it appears that rv prices seem to be higher in the USA than Canada. I see them all the time listed in US dollars. The same one in Canada seems to be the same price, yet the American dollar is worth 25 percent more.
I have to agree with that. I looked 2 years for our 38J and ended up flying out to Cornwall to buy. (4200 km. drive home!) I found similar ones in Texas, Arizona and believe it or not, Kelowna! All $10-25,000 more. It seems that the CDN $ dropped, but the US market ramped up after 2008-9. Glad I'm the patient type!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #20

Thanks for the good advice and I will follow up Sourcing in Canada.

I had my heart set on a DP but it looks like a very limited second hand market for MHs up to 35ft. I’m also confident with maintaining diesels as I have a couple of Cummins in the boat. I remember my Dad telling me that petrol engines in a live aboard boat was like sleeping on a bomb. On the road and with today’s technology I assume it’s different. So if I start looking for gas MHs the pros will be right sized but what are the cons? I assume engines are all up front, does this mean more noise different road handling? Is torque compromised so more gear changes higher revs? Range may also be a factor ? Then safety and maintenance? I’m keen to get some feedback.
Kiwiscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome aboard!

Patrick
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada, motorhome